• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,943 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2023 at 6:56 PM, 10centcomics said:

Generally if we are unsure of something, we should default to "uncredited" or "unknown." Older CGC labels of PL17 don't have the Matt Baker cover credit. I wonder when it changed and what evidence CGC saw that made them change their mind. I agree the value of PL17 isn't going to be swayed by the cover artist because it will always be a historic, infamous, and iconic book in the hobby. But attaching Matt Baker's name to a previously unknown book would certainly boost its value.

I'm not sure that Baker was that hot that people would lobby to have him listed  in 2003, not that he was a no body, but his star certainly rose a lot more after that. It's very possible the body was split, someone may have done the face, someone else could have been the "hand" expert...although I think they could have found a better choice. When I bought my copy, I didn't buy it because it was "Baker". I just liked the colors. 

Since they didn't keep great records, we are never going to know. It's like going back and asking the Renaissance artists who really filled in the colors on some of the paintings.

When I bought this piece, it was listed as Gil Kane, that was at least 20 years ago. The bottom panel is obviously Kirby. He wasn't even listed anywhere when I bought it, now he is, so I guess things are updated sometimes.

image.thumb.png.8fad06494392607c9d53006e45ee7a43.png

On 9/21/2023 at 7:51 AM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Has anyone ever won a book in a Heritage auction, then a few days later, received an e-mail from Heritage that there would be a delay in sending the book because it had to be sent back to CGC? With no other explanation?

I just received that same notice.

On 9/21/2023 at 11:56 AM, MrBedrock said:

For you, Richard, Heritage is demanding a higher grade. They probably feel what with the Astros and all you could use the break

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 9/21/2023 at 12:04 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 9/21/2023 at 11:56 AM, MrBedrock said:

For you, Richard, Heritage is demanding a higher grade

My guess is that a box of books got dropped, cracking some cases, and they are being sent to CGC to be reholdered.

On 9/21/2023 at 12:06 PM, MrBedrock said:

My guess is that a box of books got dropped, cracking some cases, and they are being sent to CGC to be reholdered.

I'm tempted to call them, but I'm not sure it would accomplish anything or help put my mind at ease. What's done is done I guess. :frown:

On 9/21/2023 at 2:30 PM, buttock said:

I got around this problem by not winning anything :sorry:

I regularly deploy this very successful losing stratagem. 

On 9/21/2023 at 1:06 PM, MrBedrock said:

Or maybe some fat guy sat on them. I hope they weren't dropped even though that probably wouldn't damage the books. I suppose you've looked at the picture pretty closely. I was thinking maybe now that there are two "cases" like this that maybe some of the holders were just too scratched up for Heritage to send out with a clear conscious. 

On the bright side you guys's books wil be in brand new holders. 

On 9/21/2023 at 2:04 PM, Professor K said:

Or maybe some fat guy sat on them. I hope they weren't dropped even though that probably wouldn't damage the books. I suppose you've looked at the picture pretty closely. I was thinking maybe now that there are two "cases" like this that maybe some of the holders were just too scratched up for Heritage to send out with a clear conscious. 

On the bright side you guys's books wil be in brand new holders. 

At least HA has moved in recent years from multi story tower to a ground level warehouse complex. :grin:

I'm sure CGC will have their best surgeons on call to perform the operation.  

Giving this a bit more thought though, in a rare situation like this I'd think winning bidders would be provided more specifics, like a description/photo of the actual damage along with options. hm

On 9/22/2023 at 1:06 AM, MrBedrock said:
On 9/22/2023 at 1:04 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 9/22/2023 at 12:56 AM, MrBedrock said:

For you, Richard, Heritage is demanding a higher grade

(tsk) The purpose of these Boards is to feed conspiracy theories and outrage, not defuse them!

On 9/21/2023 at 10:27 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

At least HA has moved in recent years from multi story tower to a ground level warehouse complex. :grin:

I'm sure CGC will have their best surgeons on call to perform the operation.  

Giving this a bit more thought though, in a rare situation like this I'd think winning bidders would be provided more specifics, like a description/photo of the actual damage along with options. hm

Well that's good. Less distance for the books to fall from.

I'm sure if they wrote Mr. Akers over there he'd tell them what happened.  But I think the real question here is what book did Mr. Bedrock win. The 9.0 Wonderworld 11 would be my guess. 

On 9/21/2023 at 10:48 PM, tth2 said:

(tsk) The purpose of these Boards is to feed conspiracy theories and outrage, not defuse them!

:whatthe:

This is all news to me!

On 9/21/2023 at 1:06 PM, MrBedrock said:

I was told that the books had once been stored in a Houston Comic Shoppe bathroom in 10 foot stacks, and that a freak methane buildup in the pages caused the slabs to eventually explode ... probably just some hearsay ... :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 9/21/2023 at 12:06 PM, MrBedrock said:

It appears to me as though the reholdering has already taken place. If you search for your book(s) in the CGC certification verification, are there new hi-res images?

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/

On 9/22/2023 at 1:46 PM, MrBedrock said:
On 9/22/2023 at 11:48 AM, tth2 said:

:whatthe:

This is all news to me!

Damn newb! :preach:

On 9/21/2023 at 9:56 AM, MrBedrock said:

On 9/21/2023 at 10:06 AM, MrBedrock said:

Don’t worry your auction wins have been safely reholdered into their new 9.8 cases. Your prized possessions are on their way to you…

IMG_9039.webp.62e227397b51833cb0ffe68a9a8787d2.webp

IMG_9040.thumb.jpeg.2d68156d4cd3028dc9034a2b9aeb3070.jpeg

On 9/22/2023 at 2:40 AM, jimjum12 said:

I was told that the books had once been stored in a Houston Comic Shoppe bathroom in 10 foot stacks, and that a freak methane buildup in the pages caused the slabs to explode ... probably just some hearsay ... :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

You could get sewer'd for an allegation like that! (: