• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,896 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2023 at 1:20 PM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I'm tempted to call them, but I'm not sure it would accomplish anything or help put my mind at ease. What's done is done I guess. :frown:

My concern would be that damage to a case could translate into damage to the book. Just look it over very carefully when you finally receive it. If you don't see any signs of SCS when you compare it to the full-size scans, then no harm, no foul.

On 9/21/2023 at 12:20 PM, Mr. Lady Luck said:

I'm tempted to call them, but I'm not sure it would accomplish anything or help put my mind at ease. What's done is done I guess. :frown:

I'd only be worried if the grade on the slab drops. lol.  It's not as if anything bad has happened other than a delay in the arrival.  If you get it, it's mangled and water-logged with a 0.5 grade, yeah, then I'd probably be a bit worried.  Quit worrying and just wait for it - I would guess whatever happens, it's not like you'll have to pay for it other than the fact you won't get the book you wanted for the time-being.

On 9/24/2023 at 9:57 PM, Professor K said:

Low grade raw with restoration. 

Let me add a bit more color to your description here.............low grade raw with restoration sold at an astoundingly and stunningly high price.  :whatthe:  

Then again, I just checked and an even lower grade raw Fair copy had sold for $3K last summer, but still some 17X times unrestored condition guide value for a raw restored copy is definitely saying something.:applause:

On 9/25/2023 at 1:53 AM, lou_fine said:

Let me add a bit more color to your description here.............low grade raw with restoration sold at an astoundingly and stunningly high price.  :whatthe:  

Then again, I just checked and an even lower grade raw Fair copy had sold for $3K last summer, but still some 17X times unrestored condition guide value for a raw restored copy is definitely saying something.:applause:

Yep, and the amount of sales of graded Silver Streak 14's is so low. This must be the result of a few people who are just tired of waiting. I don't even see a copy from the Berk auction. 

Opera Snapshot_2023-09-25_063745_gocollect.com.png

Looks like Subby 13 with Schomburg's classic hungry as a snake bondage cover is still pretty delectable and continues to whet collectors' appetite:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/sub-mariner-comics-13-timely-1944-cgc-vg-45-slightly-brittle-pages/a/122339-17355.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Sub-Mariner Comics #13 (Timely, 1944) CGC VG+ 4.5 Slightly brittle pages....

Especially since a mid-grade 4.5 copy with the much dreaded Slightly Brittle pages can still fetch $3,120 in Heritage Sunday's auction.  :applause:

On 10/8/2023 at 6:15 PM, lou_fine said:

For a Sunday Heritage Auction on a long weekend in North America, there actually seems to be an abnormally large quantity of half decent GA books in today's auction scheduled to start up in less than a hour from now that bears watching.  :luhv:  :popcorn:

You just cost me money, lol...

On 10/8/2023 at 4:19 PM, skypinkblu said:
On 10/8/2023 at 3:15 PM, lou_fine said:

For a Sunday Heritage Auction on a long weekend in North America, there actually seems to be an abnormally large quantity of half decent GA books in today's auction scheduled to start up in less than a hour from now that bears watching.  :luhv:  :popcorn:

Then again, there seem to be quite a few of them that dn't get even a single bid at all after I had made my post, with this being one of them:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/bulletman-5-fawcett-publications-1942-cgc-fn-65-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122341-13027.s

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Bulletman #5 (Fawcett Publications, 1942) CGC FN+ 6.5 Cream to off-white pages....

I still remember back in the day when this issue here was considered to a classic Raboy cover and command more money than its surrounding issues.  Clearly not so much the case anymore as this copy here sold for just $564 or for only a piddly $7.50 above condition guide value.  :whatthe:  :(

On 10/8/2023 at 7:19 PM, skypinkblu said:

I hope you still got what you wanted, if so do tell. 

I sold 5 books there last night. I was satisfied with all the prices I got other than this travesty of justice. Darn 4.0 went for 3,600 in February and a 3.5 for 2,040 in August. My 3.5 looked way better than the last 3.5 and even better than the 4.0.

What happened? Anyone? I thought Matt Baker was HOT! 

Opera Snapshot_2023-10-09_165403_comics.ha.com.png

Edited by Professor K
pic added

On 10/9/2023 at 5:05 PM, Professor K said:

I was satisfied with all the prices I got other than this travesty of justice. Darn 4.0 went for 3,600 in February and a 3.5 for 2,040 in August. My 3.5 looked way better than the last 3.5 and even better than the 4.0. What happened? Anyone? I thought Matt Baker was HOT!

Baker prices have been tame lately. Few weeks ago on Heritage I got a Diary Secrets well below GPA. A handful of others weren't astronomically high either.

On 10/9/2023 at 5:45 PM, LadyDeath said:

Baker prices have been tame lately. Few weeks ago on Heritage I got a Diary Secrets well below GPA. A handful of others weren't astronomically high either.

Yeah I guess he cools off around Halloween are warms up around Valentines Day. Oh what a world. 

On 10/10/2023 at 3:22 AM, lou_fine said:

Clearly not so much the case anymore as this copy here sold for just $564 or for only a piddly $7.50 above condition guide value.  :whatthe:  :(

Aren't lower grade copies supposed to sell at Guide?  I thought it was NM copies that typically sell for multiples of Guide.

On 10/9/2023 at 9:55 PM, tth2 said:

Aren't lower grade copies supposed to sell at Guide?  I thought it was NM copies that typically sell for multiples of Guide.

Are you trying to bring back memories of the good old days when mid-grades like this Fine+ (i.e. CGC 6.5 copy) would be stuck in No Man's land because they would not be nice enough for the HG collectors and yet not cheap enough for the low grade collectors?  hm

Not sure if that scenario applies any more, especially when like you said, NM books sells for multiples of guide and yet nowadays even low grade raw restored beaters can sometimes also go for even much bigger multiples to condition guide value:  :whatthe:  (:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/adventure-comics-38-dc-1939-condition-apparent-gd/a/122207-13010.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Adventure Comics #38 (DC, 1939) Condition: Apparent GD....

A raw restored Good graded copy that sold for $4,320 back in February of 2022 or for some almost 12X unrestored condition guide value.  :applause:

On 10/9/2023 at 5:05 PM, Professor K said:

I hope you still got what you wanted, if so do tell. 

I sold 5 books there last night. I was satisfied with all the prices I got other than this travesty of justice. Darn 4.0 went for 3,600 in February and a 3.5 for 2,040 in August. My 3.5 looked way better than the last 3.5 and even better than the 4.0.

What happened? Anyone? I thought Matt Baker was HOT! 

Opera Snapshot_2023-10-09_165403_comics.ha.com.png

It's supply and demand. The strong prices on low-grade copies were the result of a handful of passionate collectors trying to get their hands on copies when copies where scarce in the marketplace. Those strong prices brought other copies out of the woodwork, so now the lower-grade copies aren't going to fare particularly well.

On 10/10/2023 at 2:46 PM, lou_fine said:

Not sure if that scenario applies any more, especially when like you said, NM books sells for multiples of guide and yet nowadays even low grade raw restored beaters can sometimes also go for even much bigger multiples to condition guide value:  :whatthe:  (:

If everything sells at multiples of Guide, then what's the point of Guide?

On 10/10/2023 at 9:07 AM, tth2 said:

So a newb can feel like they're pimping instead of getting pimped. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/10/2023 at 9:07 AM, tth2 said:

So to drive the under bidders before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu