• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,935 posts in this topic

On 11/9/2023 at 5:36 PM, Ryan. said:

That's more likely than most people realize...

If someone has a relative with the wherewithal to do it, then it can happen. Dean Kamen, Jack's son, was buying quite a bit of his late father's artwork at one point (and may still be doing so).

On 11/10/2023 at 4:30 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

If someone has a relative with the wherewithal to do it, then it can happen. Dean Kamen, Jack's son, was buying quite a bit of his late father's artwork at one point (and may still be doing so).

I've been hearing rumors of Todd McFarlane using proxy bidders to inflate the value of his art at auction for a long time. It doesn't have to be friends or relatives. 

On 11/10/2023 at 7:53 PM, Ryan. said:

I've been hearing rumors of Todd McFarlane using proxy bidders to inflate the value of his art at auction for a long time. It doesn't have to be friends or relatives. 

Why would he need to use proxy bidders?  Unless the artist is the seller, there's nothing prohibiting that artist from bidding on his own work. 

On 11/10/2023 at 9:27 AM, tth2 said:

Why would he need to use proxy bidders?  Unless the artist is the seller, there's nothing prohibiting that artist from bidding on his own work. 

No idea.

On 11/9/2023 at 3:56 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Rob's family and friends should stop bidding on the art. There can be no other explanation why there are any bids at all.

Either that or someone desperately wants to win it to burn it from existence.

Maybe people who are not familiar with how the character looked when drawn by other artists, think it's some kind of expressionistic or pop art? Heritage has a ton of art collector clients.

This went for $165 million...

Masteripiece.jpg.98341f8461ad6bf2b299a2cf675ab500.jpg

On 11/11/2023 at 2:58 AM, batman_fan said:

The book that no one loved …

Originally sold as a 7.5 on Heritage for a decent price

IMG_0936.thumb.jpeg.043b7381b6df0feb07955ad1ba827ce7.jpeg

Got a minor facelift and then sold on Clink with a bump in price

IMG_0935.thumb.jpeg.21611dff6b590f2c9eed422e304e1f39.jpeg

Now it is back on Heritage in the same grade

IMG_0937.thumb.jpeg.9763d79834fa2d761fafaec75679a12c.jpeg

Who said Promise books can't be upgraded?!

On 11/11/2023 at 7:46 AM, skypinkblu said:
On 11/9/2023 at 4:56 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Rob's family and friends should stop bidding on the art. There can be no other explanation why there are any bids at all.

Either that or someone desperately wants to win it to burn it from existence.

Maybe people who are not familiar with how the character looked when drawn by other artists, think it's some kind of expressionistic or pop art? Heritage has a ton of art collector clients.

For better or worse, the image has become iconic, particularly for the free-spending OA collectors who grew up in the Copper/Modern era.  I expect the final bidding will be quite fierce.

On 11/11/2023 at 3:21 AM, tth2 said:

For better or worse, the image has become iconic, particularly for the free-spending OA collectors who grew up in the Copper/Modern era.  I expect the final bidding will be quite fierce.

I'm looking forward to having that artwork on my wall. :cloud9:

I am watching about 60 items in today’s starting Heritage auction and prices are definitely holding up pre auction. Sure some of the crazy prices paid during the pandemic for 9.8 examples appear to be slightly returning to reality but I never got too caught up in that (except maybe as a seller).  Selfishly, I’m most interested in seeing if the Richie Rich can come close to its previous sale and whether the Tec 168 gets any more bids. The bound MLJs are interesting but I’ll pass unless the prices stay where they are (which they won’t). Paper quality and trimming SHOULD keep prices down on them. 

On 11/16/2023 at 7:10 AM, ThothAmon said:

I am watching about 60 items in today’s starting Heritage auction and prices are definitely holding up pre auction. Sure some of the crazy prices paid during the pandemic for 9.8 examples appear to be slightly returning to reality but I never got too caught up in that (except maybe as a seller).  Selfishly, I’m most interested in seeing if the Richie Rich can come close to its previous sale and whether the Tec 168 gets any more bids. The bound MLJs are interesting but I’ll pass unless the prices stay where they are (which they won’t). Paper quality and trimming SHOULD keep prices down on them. 

The Richie Rich 1 surprised me but I dont know what the last 9.6 sold for.  People do know this book got its Macaulay Culkin bump a long time ago don’t they?

Edited by batman_fan

On 11/16/2023 at 1:07 PM, batman_fan said:

The Richie Rich 1 surprised me but I dont know what the last 9.6 sold for.  People do know this book got its Macaulay Culkin bump a long time ago don’t they?

Macaulay Culkin is timeless. 

On 11/16/2023 at 3:23 PM, buttock said:
On 11/16/2023 at 3:07 PM, batman_fan said:

Macaulay Culkin is timeless. 

In 1974 there were over 20 titles with Richie Rich.  I don't believe any other character ever had such a prominent position on the newsstand.