• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,943 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2023 at 12:18 PM, szav said:

This brings to mind a question.  People say all the time that there are numerous NM quality raw silver age keys held in private collections just waiting to blow up the high grade market some day.  But showcase 4 is almost a pre code era book.  

Do people think there are numerous high grade raw copies of showcase 4 out there?

I remember going back to the 1990s when the Mohawk Valley collection came out that people were excited that a HG SC4 was going to be found in the context of it being a book for which HG copies didn't exist.  So I don't think there are many out there uncertified.  

On 12/21/2023 at 5:32 PM, Silver Surfer said:

I think the AS #8 will suffered from being over exposed. Hasn’t this copy or one in similar grades been resold 2 or 3 times in recent years? 

yes, ebay (pristinecomics) and then heritage ( also offered on owner's website in the interim )

also, WW's popularity has simmered down a bit

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 12/21/2023 at 2:57 PM, buttock said:
On 12/21/2023 at 2:18 PM, szav said:

This brings to mind a question.  People say all the time that there are numerous NM quality raw silver age keys held in private collections just waiting to blow up the high grade market some day.  But showcase 4 is almost a pre code era book.  

Do people think there are numerous high grade raw copies of showcase 4 out there?

I remember going back to the 1990s when the Mohawk Valley collection came out that people were excited that a HG SC4 was going to be found in the context of it being a book for which HG copies didn't exist.  So I don't think there are many out there uncertified.  

The Cosmic Aeroplane copy was listed in the original Overstreet grading guide.  Bethlehem came out by at least '94 and ended up a 9.2.  Goldman/Motor City's Newsboy copy (the 9.6) was seen in 1993.  SC 4 is one of the few DCs with copies in high grade known about in the 90s. 

Many of the other DC keys, especially from the 50s, are much harder to find than their Marvel counterparts from 1962 - 1964.

Edited by adamstrange

On 12/21/2023 at 2:13 PM, adamstrange said:

The Cosmic Aeroplane copy was listed in the original Overstreet grading guide.  Bethlehem came out by at least '94 and ended up a 9.2.  Goldman/Motor City's Newsboy copy (the 9.6) was seen in 1993.  SC 4 is one of the few DCs with known copies in the 90s. 

Many of the other DC keys, especially from the 50s, are much harder to find than their Marvel counterparts from 1962 - 1964.

The Bethlehem is a 9.0 on HA in 2011, was that upgraded?  Do you recall if there was an Overstreet copy?  Maybe a Slobodian?  I can't think of much else. 

On 12/21/2023 at 2:57 PM, buttock said:

I've held that book. Lot of inside cover tanning.

On 12/21/2023 at 4:18 PM, buttock said:

The Bethlehem is a 9.0 on HA in 2011, was that upgraded? 

I must have mis-remembered.

Edited by adamstrange

On 12/21/2023 at 4:13 PM, adamstrange said:

The Cosmic Aeroplane copy was listed in the original Overstreet grading guide.

There were always whispers in the hobby whether that Cosmic Aeroplane Showcase 4 actually existed. The picture on the cover of the Overstreet (supposedly a Mint 99) looked more computer generated than an actual photo of the book (see below)

Also, if one goes to the "Showcase #4 Club" thread over in the Silver Age forum and looks at the early days/beginning of the thread (page 2 forward), board member esquirecomics owned one of the CGC 9.2 Showcase 4s back then and there are conversations on it.

image.png.114c5240583f5889a5832964a47125cd.png

On 12/21/2023 at 7:03 PM, szav said:

3 other potential 500k+ books in the auction too, with the Hulk #1 CGC 9.2, the Batman #1 CGC 7.0, and the Brave and the Bold #28 CGC 9.6, really just one of the best uber book auctions I've ever seen.

That Brave and the Bold recently changed hands for about $1mil.

On 12/22/2023 at 1:35 AM, MrBedrock said:

I don't see it hitting 1 Mil in a public format Richard, but we'll see ...

Still an awesome copy with great PQ

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 12/21/2023 at 11:28 PM, ThothAmon said:

That said I doubt I’d want to be selling anything with Promise in it’s name. 

The crazy thing is that even though the sellers of the Promise books have been taking an epic beating, they're still too expensive for me to have bought any! 

On 12/21/2023 at 9:02 PM, Gotham Kid said:

I don't see it hitting 1 Mil in a public format Richard, but we'll see ...

Still an awesome copy with great PQ

Oh I don't either. It may not even hit what I sold it for. But it will be interesting to see.

Since Superman 1s are scarcer in hg than most other GA superhero keys, Id be surprised if the 7.0 doesn't yield an impressive number.  Here's the census.. Not many copies better. it's in the top 5! (or 6 copies including the dentist copy), although --  it sits not too unimpressively ranked tied in 4th (or 5th) place grade wise...  Considering the MH 8.0 sold for 5M, and is now the 8.5, a 7.0 is flying not that far behind in the stratosphere.   But -- I can see where the Hulk 1 9.2, or the promiscuous All-Star 8, and either the top Showcase 4 or BB28 could pop louder.

Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 1.36.55 AM.png

Edited by Aman619

On 12/22/2023 at 10:40 AM, tth2 said:
On 12/21/2023 at 8:35 PM, MrBedrock said:

:tonofbricks:

Luckily, your hands remain unsoiled by all that filthy lucre.