• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,075 posts in this topic

On 5/29/2024 at 3:15 PM, Mmehdy said:

In my opinion, it is one of the best books ever to come to auction and especially 2024...white pages and 7.0 on an impossible book to get in that condition. A real winner!...With fantastic upside, I know for years I told you get Cap 1...and it sky rocketed in value since...this book is similar!!!!!

What do you think it will go for? North of $500K?

On 5/29/2024 at 5:12 PM, adamstrange said:

Jon Berk thought that Lou Fine was coloring many of his covers because of the unusual color design.

I don't recall anything about Lou or Jack coloring their own work.  It wasn't typical for artist to handle the color design, so, absent evidence, I assume that they didn't.

Thanks. I'm going to head over to the Fox thread so as not to interfere with all the Heritage/Books that almost no one can afford talk. 

On 5/29/2024 at 7:54 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

It's pretty nuts. They really are the preeminent comic book auction house and truthfully noone comes close.

But on the downside for the average collector it's few and far between to get anything there without paying more than you oughta. I just sold 2 GA books I got on Heritage on Clink. Massive loss on both. 

On 5/29/2024 at 9:35 PM, Professor K said:

Thanks. I'm going to head over to the Fox thread so as not to interfere with all the Heritage/Books that almost no one can afford talk. 

But on the downside for the average collector it's few and far between to get anything there without paying more than you oughta. I just sold 2 GA books I got on Heritage on Clink. Massive loss on both. 

Yeah you got to switch the process. Buy from clink and sell on Heritage 🤔

On 5/15/2024 at 1:50 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Well when you think about it, I seen some early Timley’s with this kind of very minor ink dots and glue. If they put it in a PLOD, collectors would probably damage books further by taking chunks out of them just so they can obtain a blue label. I think it has its place if it’s used consistently. My memory is foggy but wasn’t there some controversy with the Larsen MMC#9? Was in a PLOD then they revisited it, put it in a blue label. This was probably 20+ years ago?

l

HA shows it went from a PLOD 5.0 with glue to a blue 5.5 to a blue 6.0. Not sure what it’s in now 😂  The “88” code for Marvel Mystery was cleaned off as well. The “Larson” was probably cleaned off, unfortunately, before it was first slabbed. 
https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/marvel-mystery-comics-9-larson-pedigree-timely-1940-cgc-apparent-vg-fn-50-slight-p-off-white-pages-torch-and-subby-continue-their/a/804-5184.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/marvel-mystery-comics-9-larson-pedigree-timely-1940-cgc-fn-55-off-white-pages-overstreet-rates-it-a-classic-cover-and/a/807-5092.s?lotPosition=2&ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/marvel-mystery-comics-9-larson-pedigree-timely-1940-cgc-fn-60-off-white-pages/a/7021-91186.s?lotPosition=-24&ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417

On 5/29/2024 at 11:35 PM, Professor K said:

Your first post made me laugh and the second had the opposite effect. I’m confused which emoji to push. Sorry about your loss

On 5/30/2024 at 12:35 PM, Professor K said:

I just sold 2 GA books I got on Heritage on Clink. Massive loss on both. 

Why would you do that?  That's like buying a diamond at Cartier and then trying to resell it at a pawn shop.  In the OA forum, we joke that Clink is the last place in comics that bargains can still be found.  Which means it can be a lousy place for consignors.

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 10:06 AM, tth2 said:

Why would you do that?  That's like buying a diamond at Cartier and then trying to resell it at a pawn shop.  In the OA forum, we joke that Clink is the last place in comics that bargains can still be found.  Which means it can be a lousy place for consignors.

I just bought a book off CLINK that last sold on Heritage for less than it sold for on Heritage :banana:

IMG_1107.jpeg

IMG_1108.png

Edited by batman_fan

On 5/29/2024 at 6:15 PM, Mmehdy said:

opinion, it is one of the best books ever to come to auction and especially 2024...white pages and 7.0 on an impossible book to get in that condition. A real winner!...With fantastic upside

You might be right about the rarity and importance of the book but fantastic upside?  My take is Fawcett’s are fools’ gold (that’s why I have so many). 

On 5/30/2024 at 4:56 PM, ThothAmon said:

You might be right about the rarity and importance of the book but fantastic upside?  My take is Fawcett’s are fools’ gold (that’s why I have so many). 

In Fawcett's defense, there are several classic covers

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 3:56 PM, ThothAmon said:

on 99% of the books, yep....as storage wars DAVE would say.Not this....one greatest origin stories ever created, in fact the whole book is great with a large number of  1st appearances on other Fawcett characters. Give it a reread online Thoth....art and story are fantastic. I value the book at 1M.....500K is a STEAL!!!! would I want to own Whiz 2(3) ...nope, I do like a couple of other books like Master #22 the classic cover as well as the classic Capt marvel Jr covers...etc

This book is in a class by itself....remember how many years it took for me to YELL buy Cap #1....again..I am yelling buy this copy only  with WHITE PAGES and strong color strike cover.... it is the bomb!

Edited by Mmehdy

On 5/30/2024 at 12:45 PM, batman_fan said:

I just bought a book off CLINK that last sold on Heritage for less than it sold for on Heritage :banana:

IMG_1107.jpeg

IMG_1108.png

Congrats on the pickup! It really has come down and seems like a solid time to buy.

On 5/30/2024 at 10:56 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Congrats on the pickup! It really has come down and seems like a solid time to buy.

I really hope the next Heritage auction has some bargains in it but I suspect I am going to be very disappointed 

Posted (edited)

Another Larson slips through my fingers.

I've been trying to get a Larson book for years but have failed each time. Not just any Larson but one that I like. One that's not so high grade that it evaporates my comic fund or I simply can't afford.. And one with his name on it. Full name if possible.  This one was a great candidate. One of the early publishers, 1939 which I love that year. Crime cover, nice. Oh and look an 8.0 and 3rd highest graded sold for only a thousand bucks on CC like 2 months ago. 

Nothing that I saw really went crazy on last nights HA auction so that was a good sign. All the elements of success seem to be lined up. Sat around, waited, had a Ayinger Hefeweisse beer I had been saving for a special occassion since last Saturday........Book opened at a mere 330 something bucks then near instantaneously shot to 1920.00. I did not bid.  Should I have? Maybe one more bid putting it over 2K would have been enough. 

We all lose auctions of course. I guess my point is Wow, a 7.0 sold for double an 8.0. Lamont does it again. 

Opera Snapshot_2024-05-31_131250_www.comicconnect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2024-05-31_131043_comics.ha.com.png

Edited by Professor K