• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,871 posts in this topic

On 4/6/2024 at 2:01 PM, Dr. Love said:

I'm stupified.  Great grade, Saunders, but but but

image.thumb.png.609967dffbf578aaa56713f88ff58d76.png

It is perplexing. You usually can't give away those Ziff-Davis G. I. Joe Comics, even in high grade.

Unless I got my numbers mixed up, this book sold for a little over $9k in Dec.  I thought it was a little high because of the writing, but the drop was bigger than I expected. 

Sold on Apr 6, 2024 for:

$5,520.00includes Buyer's Premium (BP) 

lf?set=path%5B2%2F9%2F8%2F0%2F5%2F29805834%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

On 4/6/2024 at 11:54 PM, adamstrange said:
On 4/6/2024 at 10:18 PM, tth2 said:

That's my initial feeling too, and that's even without knowing anything about 3.0 prices.

For "must have" books, there's often an increased price for the entry level copy because people will take anything.  So, when an attractive 3.0 comes along it will garner outsized attention compared to a 3.0 of a random issue in the run.

I would agree with you for must have books that don't come to market very often, in any grade.  But Cap 1 (and Bat 1) are not those.

Maybe this will jumpstart some love for Superman Annual !  I bought the lone 9.0 decades ago only to suffer the sad fate of being surpassed by more and better copies.  It’s been a dead book for years for me. Such a cool comic that blew me away when I was a kid.  And the cover is a classic of early 60s DC goodness and clean Swan line work of the entire Superman family. Was it the first box design cover? I guess Secret Origins may have come out earlier.  

When this comic art auction ends today...it will be the all time record breaker in terms of total dollars...it is already at $25.276 M  with one auction to go!!!!...records are being broken in 2024!!!!!!

Edited by Mmehdy

On 4/7/2024 at 10:54 AM, Aman619 said:

Maybe this will jumpstart some love for Superman Annual !  I bought the lone 9.0 decades ago only to suffer the sad fate of being surpassed by more and better copies.  It’s been a dead book for years for me. Such a cool comic that blew me away when I was a kid.  And the cover is a classic of early 60s DC goodness and clean Swan line work of the entire Superman family. Was it the first box design cover? I guess Secret Origins may have come out earlier.  

Superman 1 was first.  Bats 1 and SO came out with Superman 3

I almost bid on this one tonight but changed my mind. I was only interested because I was curious about the cover art attribution. The cover is attributed to Palais, but it's clearly signed Pelletier in the bottom right corner. Is that a pseudonym, or is the attribution incorrect? I couldn't find any comic artist from the 40s named Pelletier.

Capture.JPG

Speed37.png

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/8/2024 at 12:47 PM, atomised said:

The Tec 29 went for $66k and I was personally hoping for more, mostly bc I own a 2.5 copy.  The last 3.5 went for $64,501 in 2018.  This book hasn't really broken out yet which surprises me, as I think it has so much going for it.

On 4/4/2024 at 11:51 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Tec29 performed poorly ...

Yes, especially if you compared it to this nicely presenting CGC 3.0 graded copy that CC was able to fetch back in March of 2017:  :whatthe:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/684452

det1.13876a.jpg

On 4/7/2024 at 9:11 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I almost bid on this one tonight but changed my mind. I was only interested because I was curious about the cover art attribution. The cover is attributed to Palais, but it's clearly signed Pelletier in the bottom right corner. Is that a pseudonym, or is the attribution incorrect? I couldn't find any comic artist from the 40s named Pelletier.

Capture.JPG

Speed37.png

This piqued my interest.  All I could find after a brief search was this OA that sold years ago on Heritage (read the lot description).  Interestingly enough, according to GCD, one of the stories in it is possibly by Ernie Schroeder, as well.  The indexer notes on the GCD entry describes how it couldn't be Palais and also notes the initials "J C" are also visible, but I don't see that - maybe someone else does.  The only other "Pelletier" I could find was the modern artist Paul Pelletier.

On 4/11/2024 at 2:46 AM, Telegan said:

This piqued my interest.  All I could find after a brief search was this OA that sold years ago on Heritage (read the lot description).  Interestingly enough, according to GCD, one of the stories in it is possibly by Ernie Schroeder, as well.  The indexer notes on the GCD entry describes how it couldn't be Palais and also notes the initials "J C" are also visible, but I don't see that - maybe someone else does.  The only other "Pelletier" I could find was the modern artist Paul Pelletier.

I saw the GCD entry but also didn't see any "J. C." Maybe the indexer was looking at a copy with the signature partially cut off (as it is on many copies).

I hadn't seen the OA on Heritage. It's interesting that they attributed it to Ernie Schroeder despite the Pelletier signature. It does look like the OA and the cover are both from the same artist. If they are Schroeder's work, I'm curious to know what's behind the signature. Maybe he didn't want to use his German surname since we were at war with Germany—but that seems a bit far fetched.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/12/2024 at 1:12 AM, batman_fan said:

This one is coming back on the market but now with the new and improved 9.8 designation

IMG_1045.jpeg

It's been one of my big regrets that I didn't buy this on one of the many times it came up at Heritage after its initial sale, as its price was spiraling downwards.