• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,075 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2022 at 12:21 PM, Mike maio said:

On this one. The day of the auction a new highest graded copy was posted to the census. I think it drove the sale down. Pretty nice 9.0 with white pages just got graded. So I think bidding got hurt cause the 8.5’s are now not the highest copies. 

thanx for the tip.  I saw the 9.0 but didn't realize  it just happened. that explains most of the price loss...

On 9/9/2022 at 11:34 AM, Professor K said:

Hey! Oh sure the Pedigree of Denver gave it a boost. Given that Planet Comics 1 is so popular it was nice to see Hit 1 come so close in the same grade. But it is also rarer as we know. Yeah it's a great cover, one of his best.

Definitely rare in grade as there is only the one single copy graded into the 9's, with that one being the Church copy at a CGC 9.0 grade.  After that, there are only 2 copies graded into the 8's, with that being this CGC 8.5 Denver copy graded back in October of 2000 during CGC's first year of operations plus another CGC 8.5 copy graded back in early 2008.  Rather surprisingly, nada certified in high grade after that point in time except for the 9.0 Church in 2016, and like you said in your post, one of his best.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

On 9/9/2022 at 11:45 AM, IngelsFan said:

Very strong finish on this one, and it’s on my short list for books to pick up in the next year or so (but even my short list is a big list, lol).

Best to move on it sooner, as opposed to later, as prices on HTF books like this tend to rocket up quite fast once they hit onto the radar screen of the collecting marketplace.  :Rocket:

Then again, if this Hit 1 ends up moving above your price point, an even better Fine bet might just be a copy of this classic cover book here:  :cloud9:  

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F2%2F2522528%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

A much undervalued and even more underappreciated book to the point whereby this stupendous Church copy here sold for $20,400 at HA way back in 2004 , but then rather surprisingly failed to resell on 3 separate occasions in the following 3 years as it did not meet reserve even as the Reserve Price dropped from $16K down to $12K and then finally bottomed out at only $11.5K and still did NOT sell.  :whatthe:  

Another Quality Publications book like the Hit 1 and hence, probably not the same rabid following as the much more highly popular Fine early Fox cover books.  Definitely hard to beat the detailed artwork and eye popping stunning colors on this classic Fine underwater cover though and like the Hit 1, also rare in grade with only the seemingly much maligned and then out of favor 9.6 Church copy being the only graded copy to date hitting into the 9's.  After that, only 3 copies being graded into the 8's, with all 3 of these being at a grade of CGC 8.5.  Actually, far fewer copies graded in total as compared to even Hit 1 at 38 copies (i.e. 27 Universal and 11 Restored), with the National 7 having only 23 Universal copies along with another 6 Restored copies for a total of only 29 graded copies.  :takeit:

Probably worked out best for that original buyer of the Church copy back in 2004 if he still owns it because my bet is that it would not only rocket right past all 3 of those unmet reserve prices, but also well right past his original purchase price point of $20,400 if brought back to auction in today's still red hot marketplace for HTF GA books even though the crypto-like speculators might have taken their early leave from here.  hm  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/10/2022 at 1:08 PM, lou_fine said:

A much undervalued and even more underappreciated book to the point whereby this stupendous Church copy here sold for $20,400 at HA way back in 2004 , but then rather surprisingly failed to resell on 3 separate occasions in the following 3 years as it did not meet reserve even as the Reserve Price dropped from $16K down to $12K and then finally bottomed out at only $11.5K and still did NOT sell.  :whatthe:  

Another Quality Publications book like the Hit 1 and hence, probably not the same rabid following as the much more highly popular Fine early Fox cover books.  Definitely hard to beat the detailed artwork and eye popping stunning colors on this classic Fine underwater cover though and like the Hit 1, also rare in grade with only the seemingly much maligned and then out of favor 9.6 Church copy being the only graded copy to date hitting into the 9's.  After that, only 3 copies being graded into the 8's, with all 3 of these being at a grade of CGC 8.5.  Actually, far fewer copies graded in total as compared to even Hit 1 at 38 copies (i.e. 27 Universal and 11 Restored), with the National 7 having only 23 Universal copies along with another 6 Restored copies for a total of only 29 graded copies.  :takeit:

Probably worked out best for that original buyer of the Church copy back in 2004 if he still owns it because my bet is that it would not only rocket right past all 3 of those unmet reserve prices, but also well right past his original purchase price point of $20,400 if brought back to auction in today's still red hot marketplace for HTF GA books even though the crypto-like speculators might have taken their early leave from here.  hm  :applause:

The National 7 did finally resell, to a board member (although he hasn't been active in a long time).  I thought that sale was in a Heritage auction, when the book was finally put out of its misery, but perhaps my memory is faulty.  It might've been a post-auction BIN.  

On 9/10/2022 at 10:39 AM, tth2 said:

The National 7 did finally resell, to a board member (although he hasn't been active in a long time).  I thought that sale was in a Heritage auction, when the book was finally put out of its misery, but perhaps my memory is faulty.  It might've been a post-auction BIN.  

The current owner purchased it from a dealer, whom I suspect was the auction winner.

Edited by adamstrange

On 9/9/2022 at 10:00 AM, lou_fine said:

Finally, a strong price for a copy of Hit 1 even though we should not be comparing a pedigree book against a non-pedigree book.  Especially when you are talking about one of the long time established GA pedigrees like the Denver pedigree.  (shrug)

Then again, I've always felt that Hit 1, similar to National 7, has been a much underappreciated and seemingly almost forgotten Fine book when compared to some of his other more higher recognized classic cover books.  Absolutely loved the detailed artwork on this gorgeous red cover and from my own personal POV, stands up with Fine's other classic cover books from his much more higher profile earlier Fox time period run:  :luhv:  :cloud9:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F6%2F4%2F9%2F1%2F26491081%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Could've told you this book would be going up in value 'cause I sold mine last year.

Contains a horror anthology debut called the Old Witch, virtually identical in format to the EC character which debuted years later.

On 9/10/2022 at 7:39 AM, tth2 said:

I thought that sale was in a Heritage auction, when the book was finally put out of its misery, but perhaps my memory is faulty.

I wish I had the moolah to take the poor book out of its misery at the time, but sadly, my pockets would not have been deep enough even at the bargain basement price that it must have gone for in the end.  :(

YOU probably should have stepped up and put the book out of its misery because that would have certainly worked out for you going forward longer term at the time.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/10/2022 at 9:26 AM, adamstrange said:
On 9/10/2022 at 7:39 AM, tth2 said:

The current owner purchased it from a dealer, whom I suspect was the auction winner.

Since you are much more in the know when it comes to these big time higher dollar value books, any idea why this Church copy of National 7 was seemingly seen as such a pariah at the time and failed to resell over that 3-year time period from 2005 to 2007?   :whatthe:

Especially since less than 4X top of guide should really not have been such a stretch for a Fine classic cover book and to boot, also a Church pedigree single highest graded copy by a long shot at CGC 9.6 when the next highest graded copy back then was much further down at only CGC 7.5.  ???

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/10/2022 at 5:47 PM, lou_fine said:

Since you are much more in the know when it comes to these big time higher dollar value books, any idea why this Church copy of National 7 was seemingly seen as such a paraih at the time and failed to resell over that 3-year time period from 2005 to 2007?   :whatthe:

Especially since 4X top of guide should really not have been such a stretch for a Fine classic cover book and to boot, also a Church pedigree single highest graded copy by a long shot at CGC 9.6 when the next highest graded copy back then was much further down at only CGC 7.5.  ???

Different time, different market such that repeated appearances devalued it in the eyes of some.  Also, not everyone is found of the highly stylized figures that Lou Fine was drawing at that time.

I actually had hopes of winning it, but failed to properly line up my escape from work with the Central Time Zone start of the auction and arrived minutes after the lot had sold. :tonofbricks:

On 9/10/2022 at 2:52 PM, adamstrange said:

I actually had hopes of winning it, but failed to properly line up my escape from work with the Central Time Zone start of the auction and arrived minutes after the lot had sold. :tonofbricks:

Since I didn't see it in the Heritage archives, did it resell on another auction platform and do you remember the final winning price?  hm

On 9/10/2022 at 5:55 PM, lou_fine said:

Since I didn't see it in the Heritage archives, did it resell on another auction platform and do you remember the final winning price?  hm

It lists as being sold on Thursday, March 29, 2007 via Heritage for $12k.  If you click on the link, however, it says invalid lot so I'm not sure what's going on.  It was not that long after that I believe the current owner acquired it.

On 9/10/2022 at 3:07 PM, adamstrange said:

It lists as being sold on Thursday, March 29, 2007 via Heritage for $12k.  If you click on the link, however, it says invalid lot so I'm not sure what's going on.  It was not that long after that I believe the current owner acquired it.

Do you have the attached link which you can post here for us since I was unable to find it in my Heritage archives?  :frown:

The only thing which I can see for 2007 is a Not Sold on January 18, 2007 because the Reserve Price of $11,500 was not met.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

Invlaid lot usually means that the lot was withdrawn by the consignor prior to the auction or is this a case of the buyer backing out of the sale and Heritage removing from their historical auction sales results?  (shrug)

On 9/10/2022 at 5:52 PM, adamstrange said:

Different time, different market such that repeated appearances devalued it in the eyes of some.  Also, not everyone is found of the highly stylized figures that Lou Fine was drawing at that time.

Any book that is not mainstream carries some risk. Now, some guys have enough money that they don't care, but the pool of potential buyers for a book like that is going to be small compared to, say, Tecs. Putting a reserve on it was probably the right move. It's the type of book someone could take a massive bath on if the right bidders don't show up.

On 9/10/2022 at 3:42 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Any book that is not mainstream carries some risk. Now, some guys have enough money that they don't care, but the pool of potential buyers for a book like that is going to be small compared to, say, Tecs. Putting a reserve on it was probably the right move. It's the type of book someone could take a massive bath on if the right bidders don't show up.

So, I guess you are saying that spending $456K on say a mainstream book like a 'Tec 140 is a much safer bet than spending $456K on say a niche book like a Phantom Lady 17?  :bigsmile:

Personally from my own point of view though, either one of those big dollar purchases would seem like a massive risk to me.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/10/2022 at 7:01 PM, lou_fine said:

So, I guess you are saying that spending $456K on say a mainstream book like a 'Tec 140 is a much safer bet than spending $456K on say a niche book like a Phantom Lady 17?  :bigsmile:

Personally from my own point of view though, either one of those big dollar purchases would seem like a massive risk to me.  hm  (shrug)

Any book is risky if you pay crazy money for it. In general, the niche books are riskier in that they're more volatile.

On 9/10/2022 at 4:09 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Any book is risky if you pay crazy money for it. In general, the niche books are riskier in that they're more volatile.

Why, dear Sir, are you really trying to imply to us that spending $456K on a 'Tec 140 or a PL 17 is starting to aprroach "looney bin" times?  :bigsmile:

Well then, how do you feel about the $264K on a Marvel Spotlight 5 or $90K for a Four Color Uncle Scrooge in the exact same auction, although I am sure that @tth2 would say that the Uncle Scrooge sale was a steal of a deal for the lucky winner?  :takeit:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/10/2022 at 7:25 PM, lou_fine said:

Why, dear Sir, are you really trying to imply to us that spending $456K on a 'Tec 140 or a PL 17 is starting to aprroach "looney bin" times?  lol

Well then, how do you feel about the $264K on a Marvel Spotlight 5 or $90K for a Four Color Uncle Scrooge in the exact same auction?  :bigsmile:

:screwy:Those prices were paid by people ready for the booby hatch, that's for sure.:insane:

But I've had my fill of boring talk about sales data for the day! zzz There's more to comics than sales data :makepoint:—like the artwork, for instance.:idea:

So stop talking about boring sales data :blahblah: and post some comic book jpegs!:baiting: I'm still patiently waiting to see that Allentown Fox book. :popcorn: (Was it a Wonderworld?)(shrug)

On 9/10/2022 at 5:13 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm still patiently waiting to see that Allentown Fox book. :popcorn: (Was it a Wonderworld?)(shrug)

Wow, what a fantastic memory since I had forgotten all about that.  :applause:

Had to think about it for awhile, but if I remember correctly now, I do believe that Richard the Tall Texan was supposed to post that one for me and I think it was supposed to be a Mystery Men 10 and not a Wonderworld 10. :popcorn:  :wishluck: