• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,075 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2022 at 1:43 AM, lou_fine said:

YOU probably should have stepped up and put the book out of its misery because that would have certainly worked out for you going forward longer term at the time.  hm

In retrospect I should have, but I was never that big a fan of that cover and I had other comic priorities at the time.

On 9/11/2022 at 7:25 AM, lou_fine said:

Well then, how do you feel about the $264K on a Marvel Spotlight 5 or $90K for a Four Color Uncle Scrooge in the exact same auction, although I am sure that @tth2 would say that the Uncle Scrooge sale was a steal of a deal for the lucky winner?  

I would and it was.

On 9/10/2022 at 9:17 PM, tth2 said:

I would and it was.

Well, how even luckier for you then because I heard through the comic book grapevine that the winner would be more than happy and is very willing to give it back to the consignor for its $90K purchase price and not looking for even a penny more than that.  lol

On 9/10/2022 at 9:13 PM, tth2 said:

In retrospect I should have, but I was never that big a fan of that cover and I had other comic priorities at the time.

Sorry, my bad as I didn't realize that Rob Liefeld was still doing comic book work at that time, but I just checked and I guess he was:  :fear::sick:

Swipe File: That Captain America Image By Rob Liefeld

Don't we all miss those endless ads back in 2000 when CGC used to run side by side pictures of the sale of a raw book for X dollars and then a picture of a CGC graded copy for XXX dollars.  hm

When I saw this result, it reminded me of those ads and maybe it's time for CGC to run another one of those ads OR NOT for this sales result here: (:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure-comics-33-dc-1938-cgc-vg-40-off-white-pages/a/7279-94063.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Adventure Comics #33 (DC, 1938) CGC VG 4.0 Off-white pages....

Sold in today's Signature Auction for a "seeming at first glance" strong price of $2,040, but then definitely still not as strong as the $5,040 for this RAW RESTORED lower graded Apparent G/VG copy here:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure-comics-33-dc-1938-condition-apparent-gd-vg/a/122207-13007.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|2

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Adventure Comics #33 (DC, 1938) Condition: Apparent GD/VG....

Actually, not really all that surprising since we saw the same type of scenario played out in their April Signature Auction where prices for graded pre-hero DC books simply did not performed as well relative to condition guide as similar raw entry level copies (with some even restored or Incomplete) that had sold only a few short weeks earlier in their Sunday/Monday weekend auctions.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/11/2022 at 2:13 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

:screwy:Those prices were paid by people ready for the booby hatch, that's for sure.:insane:

But I've had my fill of boring talk about sales data for the day! zzz There's more to comics than sales data :makepoint:—like the artwork, for instance.:idea:

So stop talking about boring sales data :blahblah: and post some comic book jpegs!:baiting: I'm still patiently waiting to see that Allentown Fox book. :popcorn: (Was it a Wonderworld?)(shrug)

Come on, lou_fine, it can be done! You don't even have to BUY a smartphone. Grab the mobile of your neighbor, take some pics and post away! It's so much MORE FUN! :gossip: :whatthe::Rocket:

Billy Wright books are certainly in their appreciation phase.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen any copies reholdered in a new gold label, or previous ped label (with the bold ped name in the center of the blue label)

Screenshot_20220911-115341_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Edited by sagii

On 9/11/2022 at 11:57 AM, sagii said:

Billy Wright books are certainly in their appreciation phase.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen any copies reholdered in a new gold label, or previous ped label (with the bold ped name in the center of the blue label)

Screenshot_20220911-115341_Yahoo Mail.jpg

He had amazing books 

A knockout of a price as I thought this little heard of book had a very strong result coming in at $5,280:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/miscellaneous/the-ko-punch-nn-ec-1952-cgc-fn-60-off-white-pages/a/7279-94161.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

Golden Age (1938-1955):Miscellaneous, The K.O. Punch #nn (EC, 1952) CGC FN 6.0 Off-white pages....

But clearly lost out in the end with a TKO punch from this copy that managed to fetched a KO punishing $19,644 in a CC Auction back in 2018: :slapfight:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/656651

k.o1.2a.jpg

Then again, as some boardies would say (here's looking at you @tth2 lol) there are some collectors who will pay the farm for a second higherst graded CGC 7.0 copy, but "mulch" for a third highest graded CGC 6.0 copy.  :p  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/11/2022 at 4:36 PM, lou_fine said:

A knockout of a price as I thought this little heard of book had a very strong result coming in at $5,280:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/miscellaneous/the-ko-punch-nn-ec-1952-cgc-fn-60-off-white-pages/a/7279-94161.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

Golden Age (1938-1955):Miscellaneous, The K.O. Punch #nn (EC, 1952) CGC FN 6.0 Off-white pages....

But clearly lost out in the end with a TKO punch from this copy that managed to fetched a KO punishing $19,644 in a CC Auction back in 2018: :slapfight:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/656651

k.o1.2a.jpg

Then again, as some boardies would say (here's looking at you @tth2 lol) there are some collectors who will pay the farm for a second higherst graded CGC 7.0 copy, but "mulch" for a third highest graded CGC 6.0 copy.  :p  :bigsmile:

I'm not particularly interested in that book, but I would take the 6.0 over the 7.0 any day of the week. That 7.0 looks baked. (That's cream to off-white? What dairy are the guys at CGC buying their cream from? I think the cows must have some kind of infection.)

On 9/11/2022 at 1:40 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm not particularly interested in that book, but I would take the 6.0 over the 7.0 any day of the week. That 7.0 looks baked. (That's cream to off-white? What dairy are the guys at CGC buying their cream from? I think the cows must have some kind of infection.)

Not sure about the condition quality of either copies here, but decided to track this one here since I remember being knocked right out of my seat when I happened to noticed that stunning auction result of $19,644 back in 2018 for a book which I had never even heard of.  :whatthe:

Especially since these coverless books tend to always remind me of those promotional giveaway comics from various companies such as the Gordon Bread giveaways which really never ever seems to be worth that much. :p

Any idea if there is something special about this book that makes it actually fetch some real dollars whenever it hits the auction block?  ???

Hey @Forbush-Man;

I guess when you see stunning record setting prices like this one here that just took place on this CGC 3.0 copy of AMF V2#5 going for some $8,400; you just can't wait until CL gets all of your Centaurs back from CGC in time to slot them into one of their upcoming Featured Auctions:  :luhv:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/amazing-mystery-funnies-v2-5-centaur-1939-cgc-gd-vg-30-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122237-13020.s

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Amazing Mystery Funnies V2#5 (Centaur, 1939) CGC GD/VG 3.0 Cream to off-white pages....

On 9/11/2022 at 5:33 PM, lou_fine said:

Hey @Forbush-Man;

I guess when you see stunning record setting prices like this one here that just took place on this CGC 3.0 copy of AMF V2#5 going for some $8,400; you just can't wait until CL gets all of your Centaurs back from CGC in time to slot them into one of their upcoming Featured Auctions:  :luhv:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/amazing-mystery-funnies-v2-5-centaur-1939-cgc-gd-vg-30-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122237-13020.s

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Amazing Mystery Funnies V2#5 (Centaur, 1939) CGC GD/VG 3.0 Cream to off-white pages....

Just FYI, a number of books are coming in, there are about 30 posted in the October Focussed auction preview, but I've got 52 so far listed in the preview for the November Featured auction.  My ship is coming....:banana:  (I think the rest will be the first part of 2023.) 

On 9/11/2022 at 1:29 AM, lou_fine said:

Don't we all miss those endless ads back in 2000 when CGC used to run side by side pictures of the sale of a raw book for X dollars and then a picture of a CGC graded copy for XXX dollars.  hm

When I saw this result, it reminded me of those ads and maybe it's time for CGC to run another one of those ads OR NOT for this sales result here: (:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure-comics-33-dc-1938-cgc-vg-40-off-white-pages/a/7279-94063.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Adventure Comics #33 (DC, 1938) CGC VG 4.0 Off-white pages....

Sold in today's Signature Auction for a "seeming at first glance" strong price of $2,040, but then definitely still not as strong as the $5,040 for this RAW RESTORED lower graded Apparent G/VG copy here:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure-comics-33-dc-1938-condition-apparent-gd-vg/a/122207-13007.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|2

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Adventure Comics #33 (DC, 1938) Condition: Apparent GD/VG....

Actually, not really all that surprising since we saw the same type of scenario played out in their April Signature Auction where prices for graded pre-hero DC books simply did not performed as well relative to condition guide as similar raw entry level copies (with some even restored or Incomplete) that had sold only a few short weeks earlier in their Sunday/Monday weekend auctions.  (thumbsu

wow! stark contrast to the feb auction