• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,249 posts in this topic

Chuck Rozanski was the first dealer I ran into charging multiples of Guide.

I encountered this at the Casual Con when he first brought out the Church collection.

People were out raged. His “rational” to us were that these books were truly “mint” and blew away anything we had considered mint before. And they were. Marketing? Sure but was hard to argue.

Really didn’t stop any from the feeding frenzy at his booth. I was buying PCH, SOTI books and GGA that “guided” at $3-10 at the time. Hard to believe it now but very few folks wanted anything but Superhero books then.

I laugh now and wish I had more money that day. I spent every buck I had and even borrowed some more coming home with a nice pile.

On 9/26/2024 at 10:02 AM, tth2 said:

Given that most dealers back then were paying only 50% (or less) of Guide for books, it wasn't unreasonable to be outraged when they were trying to charge 2X Guide.  Just by charging Guide, they were already doubling their money.

You were blessed by the Gods if you got 50% in the 80's ... and then you had to make sure the dealer wasn't quoting a 4-year-old guide. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/26/2024 at 10:28 AM, jimjum12 said:

You were blessed by the Gods if you got 50% in the 80's ... and then you had to make sure the dealer wasn't quoting a 4-year-old guide. GOD BLESS ...

True!   And that's one reason books were cheaper then!     Comics are so much more liquid now.    You spend $10k on something, you're not really stuck with a 10k cost the way you were stuck with it in the day.   You can get at least most of your money back pretty much any time.    

On 9/26/2024 at 10:27 AM, Robot Man said:

I encountered this at the Casual Con when he first brought out the Church collection.

People were out raged. His “rational” to us were that these books were truly “mint” and blew away anything we had considered mint before. And they were. Marketing? Sure but was hard to argue.

Really didn’t stop any from the feeding frenzy at his booth. I was buying PCH, SOTI books and GGA that “guided” at $3-10 at the time. Hard to believe it now but very few folks wanted anything but Superhero books then.

I laugh now and wish I had more money that day. I spent every buck I had and even borrowed some more coming home with a nice pile.

amazing

On 9/26/2024 at 11:09 AM, Bronty said:

True!   And that's one reason books were cheaper then!     Comics are so much more liquid now.    You spend $10k on something, you're not really stuck with a 10k cost the way you were stuck with it in the day.   You can get at least most of your money back pretty much any time.    

Back in the early 90's, II worked for this chap who was just the consummate hustler of comics. He was the one where I first saw the out-of-date OPG trick. He got called on it at one appointment. He said he grabbed the wrong guide, and then with a straight face, told the guy he had tons of that stuff already and offered 3K for about 15K. The guy sold. That sort of thing happened often. GOD BLESS ... 

On 9/26/2024 at 11:32 AM, jimjum12 said:

Back in the early 90's, II worked for this chap who was just the consummate hustler of comics. He was the one where I first saw the out-of-date OPG trick. He got called on it at one appointment. He said he grabbed the wrong guide, and then with a straight face, told the guy he had tons of that stuff already and offered 3K for about 15K. The guy sold. That sort of thing happened often. GOD BLESS ... 

Can we have three guesses? I'll guess Jay Maybruck, Doug Schmell, or Greg Jortner.

On 9/26/2024 at 7:27 AM, Robot Man said:

Maybe it was just luck but Chuck really needs to be recognized for potentially saving the greatest collection of all time. Could have easily been thrown away or scattered to a thousand different places. People might not agree with his Mile High pricing model but his contribution to this hobby has been immense.

On 9/26/2024 at 9:45 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Maybe it was just luck but Chuck really needs to be recognized for potentially saving the greatest collection of all time. Could have easily been thrown away or scattered to a thousand different places. People might not agree with his Mile High pricing model but his contribution to this hobby has been immense.

Luck is a good word for it. But Chuck was the only one willing to go out and check out the collection. And smart enough to aquire the financial backing to buy it.

Like him or not, (and I happen to like him), It worked out great for him. But, he was a smart, hard working guy with vision. And it worked out well for the rest of us as well.

The only one who it didn’t work out well for was Edgar. But, by that time, I doubt it didn’t much matter all that much to him…

On 9/26/2024 at 12:23 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Can we have three guesses? I'll guess Jay Maybruck, Doug Schmell, or Greg Jortner.

None of those ... Maybruck was actually SO in on the ground floor, He could buy off the floor at one show, full tilt, triple the price, and sell them at the next show. GOD BLESS ... 

One of my best friends was a schoolteacher who quit to go full time shows 54 years ago ... still goiing strong.