• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oldest comic found with distribution ink???

12 posts in this topic

I just graded an old comic book with distro ink on it and I was thinking...what's the oldest comic found with distribution ink? Any thoughts or guesses as to when the practice first started?

West

I found many from the 1950's but just found one today from June of 1946, by far the earliest I've come across.

West

ps. Distro ink is the paint that is sprayed on the top and/or bottom edge of the pages and cover.

I found many from the 1950's but just found one today from June of 1946, by far the earliest I've come across.

West

ps. Distro ink is the paint that is sprayed on the top and/or bottom edge of the pages and cover.

This is slightly sign-offtopic.gif but I was wondering if it was common to put ink on returned comics and how many have survived? I have thousands of books but I only recollect the distribution ink on my Flash Annual #1. You can see the three lines near the TLC. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

FlashAnnual1.jpg

...so that the comics cannot be resold after returned to the distrib

That's not right sumo.gif You've got your stories mixed up 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There were a number of different practices for identifying books returned to the distributor, to prevent subsequent resale. This usually involved some cutting or marking of the front covers.

On the other hand, the distributor ink that you see on the edges of books is simply the writing by the distributor, or sub-distributor, of information relating to the distribution of the comics when they were in stacks. Comics, like magazines, were banded in stacks of say 30 to 50 copies, uusually with some blank newsprint on either end. Many distributors would just write the info on the top newsprint sheet, but others, due to stacking of the bundles, would label the bundles, by writing on the edges of the stacked comics. For example, one bundle of 50 books might be going to "Terry Drugs" for sale, so the distributor would write the name of the store or it's code on the edge face of the bundle. That way these bundles could be stacked in a truck and still read without unstacking until you reached the retail destination.

flowerred.gif

Many Mile Highs have arrival dates as early as 1937, however the earliest I've seen is cover dated July 1936. That book is New Comics #6 and it's pictured in the Photo Journal, 6/5/1936

West

Many Mile Highs have arrival dates as early as 1937, however the earliest I've seen is cover dated July 1936. That book is New Comics #6 and it's pictured in the Photo Journal, 6/5/1936

West

Thanks West.