• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age DCs

49 posts in this topic

Hey Ian,

Serious question here -- do you have a favorite book among all the books in your collection? I don't mean most valuable. Just your favorite. Whether this means the one you like to look at the most, the one you most enjoyed reading, or the one you'd grab if your house were on fire and you could only take one book, I'll leave up to you.

I would be interested in hearing what your favorite book is. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In the second pic I really enjoyed seeing all four issues of It's Game Time. I myself have been looking for at least mid-grade of issues 2,3, and 4. I have a real nice 1 that I bought about eight years ago. This is an extremely rare title. It's amazing that he has all four in what appears to be nice grade. Very impressive!

that's ye olde Double Action 1...iirc, Ian had a fellow make a colour cover for his copy, since the original had a b&w cover

Not so.

That IS the original colour artwork. Matt Nelson reconstructed the comic from the artwork and the Doctor Occult strips inside, but that artwork was made in colour, or at least made to be in colour. The Double Action 1 is a Gerber 11. If it ever did get actually printed, it's been lost, but that is an authentic reconstruction, authentic in every way.

Ian - how hard was it to find a copy of "Defending your Home"? - IIRC you were unaware of it until fairly recently.

I hit lucky.

Hopefully a lot easier than Christine will find it (unless she already has one, but Joe Verenault has never heard of it)

Hey Ian,

Serious question here -- do you have a favorite book among all the books in your collection? I don't mean most valuable. Just your favorite. Whether this means the one you like to look at the most, the one you most enjoyed reading, or the one you'd grab if your house were on fire and you could only take one book, I'll leave up to you.

I would be interested in hearing what your favorite book is.

Somehow, the pic you posted up in this thread is sharper and MUCH more detailed than the one on the other thread. I'm amazed at whatever you did to clarify it.

In answer to your question, probably JLA 21 and 22 - Crisis On Earth 1 and Crisis On Earth 2. Now that WAS a pair of comics.

Or the Superman imaginary tale (can't remember which number) with a pink cover, where Luthor kills him.

Or the entire run of The Inferior Five.

WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE COMICS THAT GOOD ANY MORE ???????

Those New Funs in that second pic look HUGE. I guess I've never seen any of them in person, or in a pic in relation to other books.

The number 5 was restored by Susan Cicconi to near mint.

It's the highest quality example of a New Fun in the world, remembering that most of them are old tatty and falling apart. You never even see a fine, because the paper was like cheap old newspaper quality.

Why be like that? You've got your collection, let other people collect comics too!

True

But it's just that I've been subjected to a lot of person_without_enough_empathyy comments, and it's only human nature to answer back sometimes.

Did you have more than one made? I saw Harley with a copy of the Double Action 1 at his booth during Wonder Con.

There were three but they were flawed. Then there were a second three, but they're still not 100% perfect yet.

that's ye olde Double Action 1...iirc, Ian had a fellow make a colour cover for his copy, since the original had a b&w cover

Not so.

That IS the original colour artwork. Matt Nelson reconstructed the comic from the artwork and the Doctor Occult strips inside, but that artwork was made in colour, or at least made to be in colour. The Double Action 1 is a Gerber 11. If it ever did get actually printed, it's been lost, but that is an authentic reconstruction, authentic in every way.

err...that's what i meant.

iirc: If I Remember Correctly. obviously, i have work to do in that department

Ian,

If you had to sell all your books, except one specific title, whcih title would you keep? I guess I'm asking which title was your favorite to collect & why?

My favourite Golden Age title has always been All Star.

My favourite Silver Age title has always been the original run of Justice League Of America.

So I would never let either go. Not the rarest runs, but my favourites. I collected them starting when I was a kid.

All-Star's been my favorite DC title for as long as I can remember as well. I flip through my Archive editions of those all the time...can't get enough of 'em. It's the classic superhero comic title, IMO.

I'm not as lucky as Ian though, as I don't have 'em all. Yet. insane.gif

Ian,

Congrats on your amazing achievement. The photos are priceless.

Someone should start a personal photo thread where each collector on the boards gets to take one photo in front of their favorite ...say...10 comics.... and post them up with big smiles. I'm at work, so I cant do that now, but you could start the thread with your photo and let the barrage begin.

Maybe the architect could prevent any reply within replies and then we'd have a great retrospective of collectors and their varying tastes for future generations.

Great Job,

Collin