• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's finally over. Dracula is smote.
2 2

80 posts in this topic

Issues 40, 39, 38, 37. Some of these issues were also very tough to get. I believe 40 was a lone 9.8 for quite a while. Dracula dies in 39. No, I'm serious! Dr. Sun was actually a pretty good antagonist. If you're the antagonist of the antagonist, what does that make the original antagonist?

Scan_20190704 (33).jpg

Scan_20190704 (34).jpg

Scan_20190704 (35).jpg

Scan_20190704 (36).jpg

Issue 36.Still is the hardest issue to get in 9.6 or 9.8. There are still only two 9.8s out there. I've never graded one higher than 9.4, and that was just one copy. This is where @Ghostzapper makes his first appearance. This is a Susha News copy. I'm pretty sure it was a CPR, but I have no idea where he found it. He reached out to me and we made a deal. This isn't his last appearance.

Scan_20190704 (37).jpg

Issue 27- This is the second remaining issue with a single CGC 9.8. This is also an issue I would have had zero chance to acquire in 9.8 without these boards. When this was graded, I was constantly following the census to see if books I needed were recently graded. Then I'd keep an eye on ebay and the boards, as well as dealer sites and auction houses to see if it would show up. This one never did. I also searched the Registry. I finally found it there. That's when I reached out to @chaddesden33 He had it in his ToD set, so I figured the chances weren't good of him parting with it. However, we were able to make a trade and cash deal for it. I believe I had to get a Thor with the first Ego maybe for him? Along with some cash. I remember him being very worried when tracking seemed to stop when it reached the US. It was stuck somewhere for a while, but it arrived safely. I know he doesn't post much, so I hope he doesn't mind me giving him props here.

Scan_20190704 (47).jpg

6 minutes ago, rlextherobot said:

I have to ask, were there cases where you bought a raw book, sent it off and had it come back as a 9.6 or lower? 

Oh, yes. There were several. I would always take risks on books that had zero or few copies, so those rarely worked out. The one that did was issue 59. Paying so little for it, I didn't expect a 9,8, but that's what it came back.

Issue 22. Here is where @KingOfRulers makes his first appearance. This book was on that had zero 9.8s when I started. It showed up in one of KoR's sales threads, but I didn't see it until several days after it was posted. I was surprised it was still there being the only copy graded and he had a fair price on it as well. I actually made him an offer and he discounted it a little bit. There are only 3 copies at 9.8 currently.

Scan_20190704 (52).jpg

Just . . . wow.  Particularly like that you shared your 'war' stories.  Good memory.

You registry guys blow me away, what zeal.  My compliments.

I'm a fan of Colan, I've got something like TOD 1-50 or so in mostly very fine range, so there's that.

Edited by grebal
That last bit is my idea of a self effacing joke.