• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When do Cameos count and not count as First appearances and CGC remarks?
3 3

37 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, sagekilz said:

Just fuel for the fire...

X-Factor #5 

X-Factor #6

More fuel... my personal favorites with CGC notes in parenthesis...

Captain Marvel #14 (1st appearance of Kamala Khan in one panel cameo)

Captain Marvel #17 (2nd appearance of Kamala Khan in cameo on last page)

Captain Marvel #17 2nd Print (Ms. Marvel “Kamala Khan” Cover, predates Marvel Now Point One #1 and Ms. Marvel #1)

Marvel Now Point One #1 (First full appearance of the new Ms. Marvel “Kamala Khan”)

Ms. Marvel #1 (Kamala Khan becomes the new Ms. Marvel)

can’t wait for her to be in a movie and see all 5 of her first appearance issues sky rocket, lol. 

On 7/13/2019 at 6:16 AM, William-James88 said:

Lots of fuel added, nice.

While a slightly different topic, I also wonder what would happen if Kang was in a film. Since his first appearance has been retroactively written to be FF 19.

I love that storyline from FF #19: Rama-tut to Dr Doom to Kang.

'First' appearance of Supergirl in costume who is named in Three Mouseketeers #23 and Action Comics #251:

wv1cU5S.jpg

9 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

'First' appearance of Supergirl in costume who is named in Three Mouseketeers #23 and Action Comics #251:

wv1cU5S.jpg

That's not a cameo, first cover, first appearance in title, first appearance in costume, first time being named, first brief appearance or first full appearance, it's an advertisement that was released prior to AC 252. 

:acclaim:

13 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

wv1cU5S.jpg

Yeah, that would be a preview not a cameo first appearance. A preview is like a commercial. It's just a notice of what is about to take place in a story yet to be published. 

To clarify per http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/:

Action Comics 251 On Sale Date was February 26, 1959.

Three Mouseketeers 23 On Sale Date was March 12, 1959. 

Action 252 (1st Supergirl) On Sale Date was March 31, 1959.

I do really think Action 251 should get some sort of designation on the CGC label (as all the multiple Spawn previews do...).

On 7/12/2019 at 11:58 PM, wiparker824 said:

More fuel... my personal favorites with CGC notes in parenthesis...

Captain Marvel #14 (1st appearance of Kamala Khan in one panel cameo)

Captain Marvel #17 (2nd appearance of Kamala Khan in cameo on last page)

Captain Marvel #17 2nd Print (Ms. Marvel “Kamala Khan” Cover, predates Marvel Now Point One #1 and Ms. Marvel #1)

Marvel Now Point One #1 (First full appearance of the new Ms. Marvel “Kamala Khan”)

Ms. Marvel #1 (Kamala Khan becomes the new Ms. Marvel)

can’t wait for her to be in a movie and see all 5 of her first appearance issues sky rocket, lol. 

Which of these is sky rocketing now that she's been cast?

2 hours ago, Garbage Time said:

Are you talking about advertisements for Spawn? If CGC is noting advertisements as 1sr appearances that's a very bad thing and needs to be stopped (tsk)

I don't think CGC notes that advertisements are first appearances, but they might note something like "Contains advertisement for [new book], published prior to [book containing first appearance]"

On 10/7/2020 at 12:03 PM, William-James88 said:

You mean in terms of cgc not putting anything on the label? That's pretty understandable since those are rather new books compared to Superboy 0, the example I started the thread with.

Jim Carrey made a cult-classic movie in 1994 which made $350million based on a comic book character with a 1987 first appearance. 

It's 2020 and there's still nothing on the label.

1638719580_2047440005_12001.jpg.296eb892bd56d462a121d3fcbe8debd4.jpg

Edited by valiantman

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

My friend, there is no rhyme or reason to this. It's completely random. What works for Wolverine 's first appearance is has completely with Damian Wayne.

Don't think too hard because it's completely irrational.

Exactly why the issue notes on CGC labels do not matter and why anybody who cares about them existing is :screwy: (obviously, people should care when they're wrong because that's bad).

7 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

My friend, there is no rhyme or reason to this. It's completely random. What works for Wolverine 's first appearance is has completely with Damian Wayne.

Don't think too hard because it's completely irrational.

Exactly.  It’s like a Fight Club motto:

The first rule of First App club is: there are no rules.  
The second rule...

On 7/12/2019 at 12:05 AM, William-James88 said:

The book sells at guide or below guide on ebay. I rarely see that to be the case for other key books and first appearances. In 2019, people can still own the first full appearance of Darkseid, one of DC's most iconic villains, from a 40 year old book for less than 30 bucks in VG. Thats doesnt sound like a whole lot of intetest to me.

While this may be the case for the regular direct Editions or raws that may or may not be the advertised "High Grade" this book has actually already been pulling strong sales in Newsstand and Crazy numbers in the DC Universe Logo Variant. 20201010_145846.jpg.3e95aa052e63ffd487e1a841127f35ee.jpg

The zero definitely is no where near it, even with its Zero Hour Bullet Logo. 

As others have said though the CGC notations can be all over the place or completely non existent. Also as others have said you can ask for notation,  but be aware that if you do, not only will it slow down the submission as they have to verify,  but they may still decide it is not note worthy.