• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuable comic you HAD as a kid...then lost/traded.
7 7

168 posts in this topic

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

My subscription to IH ended with #180 does that count?

IH 180 in grade is a valuable comic!

But no. The answer to your question is NO!

42 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

yeah i think your memory is a bit off because i remember buying both those issues for a buck each maybe even 50 cents each  at a LCS in the early 80's

Could be. Maybe in my mind I softened the memory by splitting out the 2 books?(shrug) Nonetheless, the sale took place, i spent it all on fun stuff, and the money was gone before the end of the day!

Kinda like any sales money I make now. hm

6 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Was "high grade" a consideration in the 60's and 70's to those that collected?

I started collecting back issues in 1972, and even though the definitions of grades have changed, I was always trying to get the highest grade possible.

The downside was that it was way easier to find later issues in HG, so that was where the money was focused, and now, at the end, I don't have those earlier issues that were super hard to find in HG.

Throughout the 90s and 00s my best friend and I swapped a copy of Wolverine 1 - Limited Series around several times. Ripping each other off every time. It was also the first book that I ever had graded by the CGC. Can't believe I ended up selling it. doh!

Really nice copy purchased by his grandparents somewhere in Alabama. 

I owe him a perfect copy. Maybe a retrograde gift for his 40th. hm

5 hours ago, kav said:

I saw a huge stack of GL 76 at the drug store in high grade and I didnt buy them all.

Of course - it was poopy DC

7 hours ago, Blastaar said:

I saved up all summer in the late 80's to buy a Hulk #1 that was probably a 2.5. Paid $100 for it, traded it later that year for a Roger Clemens rookie card. :facepalm:

OMG. :o

5 hours ago, Gaard said:

Sold my complete run of DDs when I went off to college. Before that I sold plenty of early Spideys (issues 10-20) and early FFs (issues 8-up) , not to mention other Marvels, for cars, drugs, and girls.  This was back in the 70s.

Meh...sounds to me like it all evened out in the end. (shrug):devil:

I was helping someone at a comic convention back in the early 80s and I wound up buying a Hulk 181.  As I was showing my friend what I bought at his booth, someone came up and offered me double of what I paid for the book.  I think I sold it for $40.  I know it's low by today's standards, but I was able to buy an Xmen #1 in a G/VG for $30 in the early 80s.

18 minutes ago, Bird said:

"HAD as a kid" thread and..."told my wife" post. Hmmm...is your wife's maiden name Letourneau?

:whatthe:

:acclaim:

:cloud9: