• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When they barely even try...
1 1

39 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Yeah but you type in the number, the ownership wouldn't be made public, once the number was typed in than you would be brought to dm with the actual owner.

I understand your idea and think something like that would be good to prevent people from stealing images and trying to pass off scams that they have certain books but in a age where online privacy is something that is loose shared but should be kept private even with DM nothing is stopping that person from posting it on the net or on forums etc.. of who owns the book but there are a ton of scenarios but the easier and simpler solution might be to use Watermarks on images that are uploaded that have greater public attention just like MyComicshop put their watermark on it so someone recognized it  quickly. 

1 minute ago, Krishosein said:

I understand your idea and think something like that would be good to prevent people from stealing images and trying to pass off scams that they have certain books but in a age where online privacy is something that is loose shared but should be kept private even with DM nothing is stopping that person from posting it on the net or on forums etc.. of who owns the book but there are a ton of scenarios but the easier and simpler solution might be to use Watermarks on images that are uploaded that have greater public attention just like MyComicshop put their watermark on it so someone recognized it  quickly. 

And how quickly a data breach changes the scenario.  So a simple "its cool I am safe to have my comics and info in this registry" turns into the "mutant registration act" ....

Just now, Crops068 said:

And how quickly a data breach changes the scenario.  So a simple "its cool I am safe to have my comics and info in this registry" turns into the "mutant registration act" ....

nice analogy 

now I see this-anyone else?

Is it just cause I reported it I cant see it?

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 7.44.21 PM.png

Edited by kav

48 minutes ago, RCheli said:

I think he lifted the picture from this listing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-1-cgc-9-0-1940/372487103568?hash=item56b9f62450:g:gTMAAOSwI59aFyta

Edit: Just notified the E-Bay seller. 

Edited by aszumilo

15 hours ago, kav said:

now I see this-anyone else?

Is it just cause I reported it I cant see it?

Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 7.44.21 PM.png

:bump:

1 hour ago, aszumilo said:
1 hour ago, RCheli said:

I think he lifted the picture from this listing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-1-cgc-9-0-1940/372487103568?hash=item56b9f62450:g:gTMAAOSwI59aFyta

Edit: Just notified the E-Bay seller. 

works.jpg.0c0d2963b0b74fda2941ff9fdbe03dc9.jpg

I messaged him that if he can send me a photo of the book, I'll get a cashier's check for Tuesday. I mean, I could turn that $50k into $65k easy. 😀

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

He's learning that you have to undercut the "real" auction price. :applause:

we're dealing with a nascent scammer, here.

My latest Facebook Marketplace fiasco.

Somebody posts a Young Men #25 for $700. I know that that specific book was part of the JC Penny reprints of the 90s, so I asked the guy to send me a picture of the pack cover. He does, and sure enough, it's a Stridex ad (which I don't believe was advertising in Atlas in the 50s). So here's our conversation:

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 4.45.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 4.46.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 4.46.21 PM.png

21 minutes ago, RCheli said:

My latest Facebook Marketplace fiasco.

Somebody posts a Young Men #25 for $700. I know that that specific book was part of the JC Penny reprints of the 90s, so I asked the guy to send me a picture of the pack cover. He does, and sure enough, it's a Stridex ad (which I don't believe was advertising in Atlas in the 50s). So here's our conversation:

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 4.45.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 4.46.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 4.46.21 PM.png

wow that guys is a dingus trying to rip someone off. 

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:36 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

works.jpg.0c0d2963b0b74fda2941ff9fdbe03dc9.jpg

How could this possibly work for the seller, anyway? Paypal? Unless a seller routinely deals in merchandise like this, has an exemplary track record for shipping such material on time and flawlessly, and in general is a merchant trusted by paypal, like MCS, a $50,000 payment is going to ring all the alarm bells, spiking their parameters for suspicion for that account. They're going to lock that $50,000 up for at least 21 days, giving that seller that amount of time to properly deliver the item to the buyer and make sure there's no claim placed for non-delivery or a misrepresented item.

Edited by James J Johnson