• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's FANTASTIC FOUR (TBD)
8 8

1,138 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2023 at 5:33 AM, TupennyConan said:

He is the top genre actor of the past couple years. A great choice but isn't he too old - too old for his costars, too old to play Reed for the next 15 years?   

He's 48.  By way of comparison, I think Robert Downey, Jr. was 42 or 43 when he started playing Iron Man.  Although that was when the movie actually came out.  By the time a FF movie comes out Pascal will likely be at least 50.  

I am still hoping that they make fun FF movie where FF battles Doctor Doom. Every character looks some what like in the comics. Then maybe do a two part movie about Galactus, Silver Surfer and Doom.
Also in Disney+ there would be a FF show with let say Thing and Human Torch where like one episode Doom make them go in past to retrieve Blackbeards treasure and there would be at least two villains: Mole Man and Puppet Master. Like a show with characters which leads to something.

I think the fans just want to see content that is faithful to the original creations. The Silver Surfer is a man, his name is Norrin Radd and he sacrificed himself for the preservation of his world.

Anything else will be a mistake in my opinion because it isn't what people have been reading for 50 years.

If Disney wants to make the herald of galactus female then choose a female character as there have been female heralds. I am aware there was a female Silver Surfer that was published but I am willing to bet most of the public do not know of that version of the herald.

Juno.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

On 11/21/2023 at 5:58 PM, Artboy99 said:

I think the fans just want to see content that is faithful to the original creations. The Silver Surfer is a man, his name is Norrin Radd and he sacrificed himself for the preservation of his world.

There are 3 important characteristics that make the Silver Surfer who he was. 

1, he was a man

2, he sacrificed himself for the preservation of his world

3, he was forever trying to escape Earth to get back to Shalla-Bal

He was also always a beloved character in fandom. Even if he couldn't carry his own title, he was highly esteemed as a character and had a deep, rich history through Marvel stories. 

The last point (3) is what made The Surfer different than every other hero. He was an emotionally charged man with a high emotional EQ, which was very ahead of it's time in comics in the 1960s. In effect, he was extremely effeminate for being one of the most powerful male beings in the cosmos. 

This would have been the perfect opportunity to actually show how men can be more sensitive and break the traditional male stereotype.

They are literally willing to throw everything that made him unique and stand head and shoulders above other characters under the bus, and use his avatar to sell out and turn the character into something completely homogenous and bland. Wow. 

Edited by VintageComics

Eh.  It's the kind of thing where they really could do a female herald.  There have been plenty over they years.  It's just that - unless there's a compelling reason - why do it?   And "we want to be more diverse and have more important female roles in this movie" just doesn't really cut it as a compelling reason. 

And this is coming from someone who is generally all about inclusiveness and diversity.  

I am leaving open the possibility that they actually do have a reason, and maybe an interesting character who the story dictates be female (I am imagining now, a romance angle, something like Frankie Ray and Johnny Storm).  But if they are just going for a straight gender flip, and have her backstory be the same as Norrin Radd - except she's "Norry Radd"....That will not go over well at all.  

On 11/21/2023 at 6:51 PM, VintageComics said:

There are 3 important characteristics that make the Silver Surfer who he was. 

1, he was a man

2, he sacrificed himself for the preservation of his world

3, he was forever trying to escape Earth to get back to Shalla-Bal

He was also always a beloved character in fandom. Even if he couldn't carry his own title, he was highly esteemed as a character and had a deep, rich history through Marvel stories. 

The last point (3) is what made The Surfer different than every other hero. He was an emotionally charged man with a high emotional EQ, which was very ahead of it's time in comics in the 1960s. In effect, he was extremely effeminate for being one of the most powerful male beings in the cosmos. 

This would have been the perfect opportunity to actually show how men can be more sensitive and break the traditional male stereotype.

They are literally willing to throw everything that made him unique and stand head and shoulders above other characters under the bus, and use his avatar to sell out and turn the character into something completely homogenous and bland. Wow. 

That a man showing emotion cold be seen as effeminate is about the most ludicrous thing I’ve ever heard.