• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The limits of grading

30 posts in this topic

for example, what if someone used a pen to change a bunch if T's in a book to I's.  Or some other letter change.  Graders do not read every book they grade and that is the only way something like that would be noticed.  Or added lines to characters face or whatever.

I'm just wondering to what extent is the interior of a book examined.  We know they over the cover quite thoroughly, staples etc.  

Edited by kav

Are we talking about professionals who work for large companies, or 'amateurs'?

The professionals should be examining every page (and I think that CGC does). In that case, they should be able to catch any writing. It would be noticeable under the conditions in which they examine.

When it comes to 'amateurs', I'm certain that most don't examine every page and sell based on skimming the comics and grading mostly based on exterior condition. There are certainly 'amateurs' who are as good as the professionals, though.

4 hours ago, wombat said:

This sounds like a challenge. Who can get the oddest interior tampering through grading without being detected. 

Are we all sending in very low priced books, lol ,because no way I would send in a high priced one with intentional defects lol

But serious 

At the end of the day,maybe we are still in the genesis of grading,its not a perfected art,especially if you can crack a slab and send it back and get a higher grade.

12 hours ago, kav said:

for example, what if someone used a pen to change a bunch if T's in a book to I's.  Or some other letter change.  Graders do not read every book they grade and that is the only way something like that would be noticed.  Or added lines to characters face or whatever.

I'm just wondering to what extent is the interior of a book examined.  We know they over the cover quite thoroughly, staples etc.  

I'm far above average when it comes to grading. Now if its words on a crossword or a mail-a-way signature form, I'll catch it.

But I guarantee that's not the (spoon) I'm looking for. I'd miss something like that.

Edited by Rip

12 hours ago, kav said:

I sent in a modern "double-cover" that turned out to be a fake. 

CGC didn't catch that so...

I'm not even sure they look at the interiors of books released within the last few years. lol 

37 minutes ago, newshane said:

I'm not even sure they look at the interiors of books released within the last few years. lol 

Comics have interiors?!?:whatthe:

48 minutes ago, newshane said:

How did you know it was fake? 

Just now, BlowUpTheMoon said:

How did you know it was fake? 

Long, long story. 

There was a dealer on eBay who was able to scam folks for a while. It's in one of my old threads. Happened several years ago. 

Either way, CGC didn't make note of anything - not even the fact that it was clearly a double cover, even if it was fake. 

6 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Are we talking about professionals who work for large companies, or 'amateurs'?

The professionals should be examining every page (and I think that CGC does). In that case, they should be able to catch any writing. It would be noticeable under the conditions in which they examine.

When it comes to 'amateurs', I'm certain that most don't examine every page and sell based on skimming the comics and grading mostly based on exterior condition. There are certainly 'amateurs' who are as good as the professionals, though.

I'm talking CGC.  I dont think they can examine everything interior to the extent you are suggesting-fiddling with letters could only be detected by actually reading every single page.  You would also have to compare each page with another 'reference' issue to make sure someone didnt add small lines on buildings, etc.  Or use a black light on every page.

I sent in a book with a obviously married centerfold (tear through the entire book except the centerfold, centerfold is cut square the rest of the book is slightly skewed) and CGC did not catch it.

I'm not certain they check every page.

Edited by D84

9 minutes ago, D84 said:

I sent in a book with a obviously married centerfold (tear through the entire book except the centerfold, centerfold is cut square the rest of the book is slightly skewed) and CGC did not catch it.

I'm not certain they check every page.

They really cant but I dont think its a big issue.

ps what did the staples look like usually they catch the rebent prongs and ruffling of holes.

Edited by kav

3 minutes ago, kav said:

They really cant but I dont think its a big issue.

ps what did the staples look like usually they catch the rebent prongs and ruffling of holes.

It wasn't attached.  Just a centerfold from a coverless copy I put in there.  Thought it was so obvious that I didn't need to put a post-it note on the mylar.

Just now, D84 said:

It wasn't attached.  Just a centerfold from a coverless copy I put in there.  Thought it was so obvious that I didn't need to put a post-it note on the mylar.

I'm stuffing centerfolds in my missing page books immediately.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

I'm stuffing centerfolds in my missing page books immediately.

I left it in the slab as a reminder not to trust CGC golden age books.  I'm only buying raw books, in person so I can inspect them.

4 hours ago, newshane said:

Long, long story. 

There was a dealer on eBay who was able to scam folks for a while. It's in one of my old threads. Happened several years ago. 

Either way, CGC didn't make note of anything - not even the fact that it was clearly a double cover, even if it was fake. 

So they didn't even note it was a double cover?

11 minutes ago, wombat said:

So they didn't even note it was a double cover?

Correct. 

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

What happened to the book?

I just cracked it out and threw it away to save space. Wasn't a special book.