• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Daredevil #1! Grade is in!
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Hey all! This one is currently sent in and being graded. I have an idea of what I think it is but would like your input as well. These pics are some of the better ones that I had prior to shipping. Let me know what you think!

DD1-5.thumb.jpg.108743e15e2c8d4b87c4671447601152.jpg

DD1.thumb.jpg.1a6bfb10a82e37283724b2499d0ceb19.jpg

DD1-2.thumb.jpg.08f9ff506ada3173e7dbbb0be44b1411.jpg

DD1-3.thumb.jpg.a9c30dcc3137bdbc0ad4f6cdda4b2484.jpg

DD1-4.thumb.jpg.e471375942c0375910528b7c418e63d4.jpg

DD1-6.thumb.jpg.11686234db094a81ffbd5c0e14c7ceda.jpg

Edited by iggykoopa

you can see the area with where there was probably a price sticker on the bag but this is kind of unique to how hard its hit for that much fading. 

I would be at a 3.0 with fading if it wasn't as faded would probably be much better as there aren't many creases etc.. 

Fromm what I've seen with other faded books in slabs, I don't think the hit is as hard as some people are saying.  Without fading, I would say 6.5.  With the fading taken into consideration, I'm going out on a limb and saying 5.0, assuming you a get a press.  There are a few light creases that can be fixed with a press.

4 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

Fromm what I've seen with other faded books in slabs, I don't think the hit is as hard as some people are saying.  Without fading, I would say 6.5.  With the fading taken into consideration, I'm going out on a limb and saying 5.0, assuming you a get a press.  There are a few light creases that can be fixed with a press.

That's a great comment and I can't say you're wrong. We've seen other books with faded covers in 4.0-5.5 slabs. To me, this fade is more severe than average, so I was dinging it more than average, but who knows what CGC would say. Once you get past that (and note that the fade is on the front only....), from a grading standpoint the book has lots of positive qualities.

I'm thinking the pages are tan or even brown with that much UV exposure. Still its a great book to own in any condition! I'm at 6.5 without the color fade and probable paper condition of the interior. I will guess 4.5 if paper is tan, 4.0 or lower if its brown. Please let us know when it comes back. I am curious as to how much of a hit CGC will give that fade. Thanks for sharing!!! Brings back memories of the early comic shops when dealers put the good stuff in the windows to draw you inside. :pullhair:

Edited by flashlites
addition

Eeesh! They were tougher than I thought they would be, even with the paper quality cream to off white? Well now we know, with that much fade it probably knocks the grade down 2+ points. Lets say it was a 6.0 without the fade, that's a 2.5 hit. Thanks again for sharing, very informative!

On 7/31/2019 at 3:46 PM, Wipple said:

6.0 - 3.0 for fade and staple etc...= 3.0   this is the type of book that the PGM thread is all about. Its different and helps us understand how the graders deal with unique issues. Cool book!

I'd be surprised if all the graders at CGC were the same on this one...I could see anywhere from 3.0 - 4.0...