• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$90,000 = All-time record for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (August 1, 2019)
4 4

138 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

It only takes a couple of deep pockets 

since no one's mentioned it yet, your new avatar is like glow in the dark lol it is very "clear", and for some reason that stands out to me ha. It also makes the box that is available to put your avatar in look bigger, Use Your Illusion

7 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:
8 hours ago, Senormac said:

I could see a couple of foreign players getting the TMNT bug and going hog wild after it.  Perhaps Saudi's from Dubai or maybe some crazy rich Asians.  They got lots of money too. 

Welp, looks like I need to see a tailor to have my pants customized w/ deep pockets going all the way down to my feet.

9 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

No doubt.  Saw this tonight while watching other books get priced out of my reach.  Yes, it's tied for highest graded (1 of 2)......but WTF?

JLA48.thumb.jpg.ea0fdf56f88cd169078ba31dd68e7ea0.jpg

On 8/1/2019 at 2:36 PM, telerites said:

I had the first 9.8 and I remember when I posted it here, some folks were saying there wouldn't ever be another - black cover, limited press run and all.  I have told the story of how I didn't want the book or the next three issues but the guy at the LCS I went to back then told me to get them.  Never read them and just stashed them away.  Didn't have them pressed prior to subbing (not even sure if I knew about pressing).  Still have them.  Here is my #1 and this thread makes me so happy lol although that price is just dumb.  And btw, I don't even like the turtles.

0801130850061.jpg

On 8/1/2019 at 4:14 PM, telerites said:

Hi, yes mine was the first.  The other recorded sales are crazy to me.  I was/am too old to appreciate the turtles.  

As a fellow boardie who is concerned about your proper mental health, I am willing to step up to the plate, bite the bullet, and take that no good darned TMNT 1 from your nerve wracked and trembling hands.  :takeit:

It's quite obvious the mere fact that you own this book is giving you a lot of undue stress and sure as heck also giving you a lot of sleepless nights.  As a result, since it's quite obvious that nobody else cares enough to offer, I would be willing to give you some much needed stress relief by taking that horrid book off your hands and removing all of that negative energy that seems to be floating around you right now. lol

On 8/2/2019 at 11:13 AM, Buzzetta said:

However, I always enter into the mindset that when it comes to comics, there will always be another one. 

And you would be exactly right in this particular case here.  (thumbsu

Especially since the CGC census already shows that there are another 24 equivlaent CGC 9.8 graded ccopies of this book out there, along with another 44 CGC 9.6 graded copies knocking on the door whilst the owner holding their red hot pressing iron in their other hand.  lol

2 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

No doubt.  Saw this tonight while watching other books get priced out of my reach.  Yes, it's tied for highest graded (1 of 2)......but WTF?

JLA48.thumb.jpg.ea0fdf56f88cd169078ba31dd68e7ea0.jpg

Well there's census to justify that one but damn somebody out there must be one hell of a TMNT fan as a prior post indicated! It would be interesting to see if there's an addition or two in the census for 9.8 

Popular titles in silver like that JLA are having a go. I've noticed it on either noteworthy issues or dark covers. There was an asm 39 9.0 on pedigree just auctioned for over 1700

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Well there's census to justify that one....

It does have low census numbers, but I don't believe that would justify $9,000 for a non-key, non-event, JLA numbered in the high 40's.  The only thing remotely special about it is that it's an 80 pager.  Did you watch the auction?  There was about 50 of these 80 page CGC 9.8 books up for auction from the #1 registry set.  Many of them had dark covers and several were 1 of 1 or 1 of 2 copies that included other JLAs, Action Comics, Batmans, Supermans, Adventure Comics, etc. 

Nearly all of them closed in the $500 to $4,000 range (with most in the $1,000 to $3000 range).  The two crazy outliers were this JLA for $9,000 and the Giant #9 with the Flash for $9,600.  This had to be a couple of BSD's going at it and refusing to back down.  If the other JLA 9.8 copy came to market, I don't think there's any way it would get to even half of what this one realized.  

And now that my rage fueled vent is over, I'll stop hijacking this thread.  Back to the Turtles!!!

Edited by Domo Arigato

1 hour ago, Domo Arigato said:
3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Well there's census to justify that one....

It does have low census numbers, but I don't believe that would justify $9,000 for a non-key, non-event, JLA numbered in the high 40's.  The only thing remotely special about it is that it's an 80 pager.  

Did you miss the big bold heading where it said the book came from the highly acclaimed Pacific Coast pedigree collection?  :gossip:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Did you miss the big bold heading where it said the book came from the highly acclaimed Pacific Coast pedigree collection?  :gossip:

No.......because I was more referring to the books relevance/content (not it's pedigree status) and it didn't seem to make that big of a difference on the other books.  A large chunk of them were from pedigree collections.....and the vast majority of those (at least 15 of them) were from the Pacific Coast pedigree collection........while some of the others were from the Boston Pedigree, Western Penn Pedigree, Twin Cities Pedigree. Rocky Mountain Pedigree, and Winnipeg Pedigree.

On 8/2/2019 at 7:38 PM, Mak420 said:

I was referring to all auction sites, eBay is just as guilty. But I guess I should of been more  specific with the context to my question, is there a option to see on Heritage a completed successfully option to view? Kind of like on here? Sorry for the confusion. 

Yes, Heritage does.

On 8/2/2019 at 10:06 PM, MGsimba77 said:

This is padded room level crazy! :facepalm: A book from '84 with over 20 9.8s (up till now) does not merit 90k . I always thought Cerebus 1 in some grade not seen before would be the youngest book to reach that level 

Hmm, apparently is does merit that though.

7 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Yes, Heritage does.

Hmm, apparently is does merit that though.

It does until you find out that it's a Tardano situation all over again. lol 

I think the TMNT sale is legit though. 

Sold my 9.8/white for $32,000 two years ago.  Perfect copy.  Was so tempted to keep it but thought the price was too good to pass up since the previous sale was $27,000... 

I keep getting surprised by record sales.  You would think after 40 years I would "get" it.  Oh, well...

32 minutes ago, Moondog said:

Sold my 9.8/white for $32,000 two years ago.  Perfect copy.  Was so tempted to keep it but thought the price was too good to pass up since the previous sale was $27,000... 

I keep getting surprised by record sales.  You would think after 40 years I would "get" it.  Oh, well...

:foryou:

:tink:

We'll have to see if it keeps that new market value

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/8/2019 at 9:18 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

there was just a 9.4 that sold for $10,200, which is regular market price for this book. so it seems only the 9.8 was so out of bounds price-wise. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/alternative-underground/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7211-92176.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Your sig line books look great Alex !!