• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Pressing..... to press or not to press.... and by whom?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have a "newbie" question, despite being a collector for over 45 years. I just signed up for the cgc elite membership, with the intent of going through some of my silver age keys and slabbing them. First up will be an Amazing Spider-Man #1, in vg/vg+. While I've heard about pressing for years.... how does one determine what books are in need of pressing? What factors are considered?

What can I expect to pay for that service?

Who do you send books to for pressing?

Thanks, in advance, for any responses!

24 minutes ago, Fred Chamberlain said:

I have a "newbie" question, despite being a collector for over 45 years. I just signed up for the cgc elite membership, with the intent of going through some of my silver age keys and slabbing them. First up will be an Amazing Spider-Man #1, in vg/vg+. While I've heard about pressing for years.... how does one determine what books are in need of pressing? What factors are considered?

What can I expect to pay for that service?

Who do you send books to for pressing?

Thanks, in advance, for any responses!

Factors: Areas/bends/creases that can be flattened that do not break color.

Pay: Depends on which service.

Who: I'm not sure if suggesting anyone outside of CCS is a good idea, since it's CGC's sister brand.

you should probably check on the CGC/CCS website, or that for joeypost, or other pressers for more detail about what pressing actually is.

BUT very generally, pressing is essentially using something flat and heated with some level of moisture to PRESS a comic book down for some amount of time (these variables vary by presser, and there maybe some cycles of repeating these actions varying the variables), hopefully resulting in a flatter comic, removing (hopefully permanently) any non-color breaking bends or creases that existed on the book. 

It won't do anything for marks or creases that have breaks in color, or yellowed or faded paper, though poor and/or unnecessary pressing may result in damage to your book, or to some extent exacerbation of existing flaws.

well you indicated you paid for an elite membership already.  One thing to consider with a 3rd party presser is that you wouldn't want them to directly submit the books to CGC as I don't believe you can use the credit you are getting from CGC.    So that would add an extra layer of shipping costs.

Once the credit is exhausted then you could let them ship the books to CGC (if you went that route)