• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting article on safety deposit box safety.

18 posts in this topic

I had inquired about these in person at a local bank and the lack of assurance about insuring the items in the box behind lock and key and vault at my bank didn't leave me too thrilled.  Apparently - according to your article - they're not as safe as we've all been led to believe.  

Thanks for sharing the article!  

Thank you for the article.

The term is Safe Deposit Box NOT Safety Deposit Box. And no I don’t care what your Google search comes up with.  It’s incorrect to call it a Safety Deposit Box. Just because everyone does it does not make it correct.  

and yes the bank does not insure what you keep in your Safe Deposit Box because they are not suppose to know what you have in them.  

I love going to my Safe Deposit Box. I’m alone and it’s cool and quiet and the ghosts of the stories of all manner of treasures swirl around me.  It’s like living in one of Brian Eno’s ambient music albums. One of the better ones that he did with Harold Budd and/or Daniel Lanois. See album Harold Budd's Lovely Thunder for reference. When I go to one of my larger Safe Deposit Boxes in the snazzy-rittzy, Ca., town of San Marino (think old $$$, older $$$ than Beverly Hills, older $$$ than South Pasadena), the families pass the largest Safe Deposit boxes down in their wills to other family members. I've been on a list for a large Safe Deposit box for about 17 years.

I love Safe Deposit Boxes as much as I do comics! I wish CGC would grade and encapsulate them. 

Edited by NoMan

24 minutes ago, NoMan said:

...The term is Safe Deposit Box NOT Safety Deposit Box. And no I don’t care what your Google search comes up with.  It’s incorrect to call it a Safety Deposit Box  just because everyone does it does not make it correct...

Lies.

8 hours ago, kav said:

Something doesnt add up in this story-if they drilled out his box, how could he come and open it with his key?  It would have been installed with a new lock-

They could have easily drilled the lock out and when they replaced the lock they might have pinned it to the original key to make sure they did not make a new pin and key that matches surrounding boxes... probably not a smart idea but it happens. 

someone else posted about this a month or two ago. most articles these days are just fear mongering. that, and outrage, are the only things that get people's attention. 

the vast majority of people with safe boxes have never had any issues. compare that to all the folks who's homes have been burned down in fire or had stuff stolen via theft and the value of a safe deposit box will be pretty apparent. 

in fact, look around on these here boards. sadly at least a few boardies have lost valuable comics in fires and hurricanes, among other disasters. how many boardies have had comics stolen from safe deposit boxes??

keep an insurance policy on your books, no matter where they are kept. 

15 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

They could have easily drilled the lock out and when they replaced the lock they might have pinned it to the original key to make sure they did not make a new pin and key that matches surrounding boxes... probably not a smart idea but it happens. 

This would be dum because why let the old banished person still have a key to access the box??

8 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

someone else posted about this a month or two ago. most articles these days are just fear mongering. that, and outrage, are the only things that get people's attention. 

the vast majority of people with safe boxes have never had any issues. compare that to all the folks who's homes have been burned down in fire or had stuff stolen via theft and the value of a safe deposit box will be pretty apparent. 

in fact, look around on these here boards. sadly at least a few boardies have lost valuable comics in fires and hurricanes, among other disasters. how many boardies have had comics stolen from safe deposit boxes??

keep an insurance policy on your books, no matter where they are kept

bingo

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

suddenly happy memories of care-free days of summers of Dungeons And Dragons came flooding back to me. Have no idea the intent of your image, but that's what it says to me. So for that, thanks.

"Keep your friends close....and your valuables closer."