• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2019 at 7:20 AM, comix4fun said:

Yep, that's page 10. The page right after mine. 

They sold the page right before mine recently too....

If I had gone for that I would have a shot at putting together a three page sequence....and living in a van down by the river. 

$102,000

3 hours ago, John Bamber 1973 said:

Well I was holding my breath for a lot of the last couple weeks but in the end very happy with the final hammer.  Before I put it up for auction I asked one of the premier 2000ad collectors for his estimate and he said $18k.

Congrats. Nice payday and the new owner has a treasure with future legs on it.

Edited by grapeape

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I've already had my WTF moment of the auction with a lot going way cheaper than expected already. 

The Cockrum Ms. Marvel 17 cover falling short of 20K. 

I mean, this cover has been the pervy-fan-boy-overt-freudian-fantasy-set-female-heroes-back-to-the-stone-age standard setting cover for the last 40 years. 

Figured there'd be more of a fight over who gets to own fapping rights to it. 

You guys were to busy drooling over it. Sounds like no free hand to type the bid button.

Just now, Bronty said:

Yeah boy that’s a jagged pill for an only ok panel page even if it is a classic book. 

I tried to raise 40 K for a superior Killing Joke page that a dealer was selling on his site. It went bye bye before I could make it happen. That was Within last 10 years. I now know if people will pay $102 K for this one (and I truly mean no disrespect) that I will never own page from that classic book.

Again if someone here won that page congratulations. I bet the consignor is thrilled.

27 minutes ago, grapeape said:

$102,000

Just now, Bronty said:

Yeah boy that’s a jagged pill for an only ok panel page even if it is a classic book. 

Someone probably ran the numbers and bit the bullet. 

How many pages in the book? 

How many feature both Batman and Joker images? 

How many come to auction publicly over what span of time? How much have the escalated in value/price in the last 3-5-10 years?

What's the time and dollar cost of passing on this page and waiting for the "perfect" (or simply a better) page to come along?

And they decided to not let "perfect" be the enemy of "good". 

On 11/17/2019 at 8:28 AM, cstojano said:

I thought these pages were in the 10-15k range. The Splash got ~30k. I am more surprised by the 200k reserve on the gollum painting.

Yeah...didn’t sell. Back to the drawing board for HA and the consignor. Many CGC members felt this wasn’t a strong painting.

Just now, Bronty said:

Comix4fun 

More like decided to not let prudence be the enemy of desire.    

Perhaps. None of these things we collect have true utility and thus are all desire all the time and very little prudence.

Or maybe he used that thought process (prudence first and always) in the past and let $15k pages and $25k pages and $35k pages and $50k pages go by waiting for the magical, mystical moment when he fell in love with the perfect page...and decided to lock one down feeling snakebit by not getting a good page when they were cheaper. I felt those feelings for a solid decade before I landed one. 

I've spoken to many collectors of this particular graphic novel and, increasingly, there's a bit of desperation in the air about never having a chance to get something from the book. That's partially because there are so few pieces extant and even less potentially available and finally the market for them seemingly moves dramatically with each example we see. 

There really are very few pages in the book that feature BOTH of the main characters images on them. This has that, plus a batman family portrait, plus the batcave....so I place it, among its peers, above average in that book. Since the book is SPECTACULAR, "above average" is better than most pieces from any work in that era. 

Because, ultimately, this piece ended almost exactly where I thought it would based on demand, scarcity of opportunity publicly, sales prices privately, and overall quality. That's why I wasn't all that surprised. 

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Perhaps. None of these things we collect have true utility and thus are all desire all the time and very little prudence.

Or maybe he used that thought process (prudence first and always) in the past and let $15k pages and $25k pages and $35k pages and $50k pages go by waiting for the magical, mystical moment when he fell in love with the perfect page...and decided to lock one down feeling snakebit by not getting a good page when they were cheaper. I felt those feelings for a solid decade before I landed one. 

I've spoken to many collectors of this particular graphic novel and, increasingly, there's a bit of desperation in the air about never having a chance to get something from the book. That's partially because there are so few pieces extant and even less potentially available and finally the market for them seemingly moves dramatically with each example we see. 

There really are very few pages in the book that feature BOTH of the main characters images on them. This has that, plus a batman family portrait, plus the batcave....so I place it, among its peers, above average in that book. Since the book is SPECTACULAR, "above average" is better than most pieces from any work in that era. 

Because, ultimately, this piece ended almost exactly where I thought it would based on demand, scarcity of opportunity publicly, sales prices privately, and overall quality. That's why I wasn't all that surprised. 

TBH I wasn't surprised either, but its a jagged forking pill.

I get that people love the book.   I do too.   Still.

2 hours ago, cloud cloddie said:

I’d think a Vin Diesel adaptation would lower the price. :devil:

Yeah, I figured the movie + first app + BWS was gonna drive it up. Just not that much. :whatthe:

If you haven't seen the trailer, it looks like they did a pretty solid job with this: 

Just now, Bronty said:

TBH I wasn't surprised either, but its a jagged forking pill.

I get that people love the book.   I do too.   Still.

Anytime something that we're contemporaries to hits six figures I get filled with existential dread.....can we be this old?  lol

I let my terror over convincing myself that I'd never get a Killing Joke page lead me to commissioning a piece from the artist for (at the time) a CRAZY amount of money but still far less than an actual KJ page. Of course I found a page from the book within a year or so getting the commission because....well.....that's just so me. 

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

Anytime something that we're contemporaries to hits six figures I get filled with existential dread.....can we be this old?  lol

I let my terror over convincing myself that I'd never get a Killing Joke page lead me to commissioning a piece from the artist for (at the time) a CRAZY amount of money but still far less than an actual KJ page. Of course I found a page from the book within a year or so getting the commission because....well.....that's just so me. 

I guess.   I think this one feels particulary spicy due to the fact its a panel page and well, rather static.    Bolland's art is wonderful and the book's a classic, and congrats to the owner, but dang.   

In the end I know its all subjective, and no crazier than 14 other things this week.

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

Someone probably ran the numbers and bit the bullet. 

How many pages in the book? 

How many feature both Batman and Joker images? 

How many come to auction publicly over what span of time? How much have the escalated in value/price in the last 3-5-10 years?

What's the time and dollar cost of passing on this page and waiting for the "perfect" (or simply a better) page to come along?

And they decided to not let "perfect" be the enemy of "good". 

Congratulations on winning the page!:roflmao:

No you are right. There are not enough KJ pages to go around. More power to the winning bidder. A page is only worth what someone is willing and able to pay for it.