• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, batman_fan said:

This was my favorite in the auction.  Once it crossed $25k I was out.  It is a great piece but what a strong price.  I feel sorry for the guy who sat next to me on the plane as I didn't have time to put on a fresh depends for the flight :sick:

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 9.43.01 PM.png

I feel sorry for Mrs. Grapeape as I was monitoring the auction on my I phone on the 405. From the passenger seat In slow moving traffic.

i did blame the dog .... the dancing dog.

2 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Fixed that for you Carlo! :hi:

Drstrange.jpg.9d19d34171f20c5cc9e91c65250d7f27.jpg

I lost out on Page 6 (all panels) when it sold for $11k (Heritage) in May, so I'm thrilled to get this 1/2 splash for much less. xD

I stand corrected!  I did not check the image again and was going by memory!  agreed it is a great page and it has the shield effect of cinematic fame!  Take it ouf my list!

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Riiiight, because all of the strips in this auction were inferior examples and the previous auctions were all great content. :eyeroll:

Nope, sorry, stop digging guys. There's certainly no kind of quality gap that would explain why your price expectations were stuck in 2013. :baiting:

okay Gene, you are right.

4 hours ago, Timely said:

I'd agree. A Charlie Brown/Snoopy strip will outperform a Linus strip all day every day. It's like saying the cover to ASM #22 and #23 are worth the same because they came out a month apart! Apples and oranges!

There's no recent evidence of late '60s and '70s strips being more valuable than '50s and early '60s.  There's no evidence of prices having taken a big leap up in this sale.  There's really not much in the way of price anomalies in the recent data that would require explaining away due to quality/content differences - the reality is that Peanuts prices took a big leap up earlier this year and have remained at these kinds of similarly (high) levels for the past 9 months or so.

For clarification, the "Implied price @ 30% and @ 50% over" columns reflect the prices where expectations would have been pre-auction, if we thought that the realized prices actually were 30-50% above expectations. 

539183783_PeanutsComps.thumb.PNG.116b6fd26a4bb58f3a0de5a0ecf21d2a.PNG

Edited by delekkerste

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Did you win it?

No I wouldn’t bid against you buddy. Not without squaring it with ya first.

A nice strip with at least one Snoopy is on my long list of wants though.

that one did make me smile

38 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I have been watching today's bidding. Am I wrong, but are prices low today? 

I bought something, and I feel I stole it.

There’s some stuff I was interested in today, but I’m traveling and didn’t care enough to focus on them. They def went lower than I thought they would. Who knows if id have won, but I would have at least threw in some punishment bids. :bigsmile:

4 days of auctions is a little much for me. 

1 hour ago, cloud cloddie said:

There’s some stuff I was interested in today, but I’m traveling and didn’t care enough to focus on them. They def went lower than I thought they would. Who knows if id have won, but I would have at least threw in some punishment bids. :bigsmile:

4 days of auctions is a little much for me. 

Punishment bids ruin true FMV......and Comps...doh!

signed...

IVE DONE IT TOO.:roflmao:

2 hours ago, grapeape said:

No I wouldn’t bid against you buddy. Not without squaring it with ya first.

A nice strip with at least one Snoopy is on my long list of wants though.

that one did make me smile

It was a great one. I was hoping $18k but willing to go up to $25k but got blown away. It was a pretty good on although the images weren’t huge. 

50 minutes ago, Timely said:

I had 4 items that ended today that should have hammered between $5000-6000. They hammered at $3600 so I actually lost money. This is why I rarely do auctions!

That sucks.  I have around 50 GA Batman and Detective dupes I plan to sell next year but price softness makes me nervous to auction.

8 hours ago, Timely said:

I'd agree. A Charlie Brown/Snoopy strip will outperform a Linus strip all day every day. It's like saying the cover to ASM #22 and #23 are worth the same because they came out a month apart! Apples and oranges!

ASM 22 is earlier so it should be worth more.  

2 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Why do it at all? Besides, an engaged bidder may drop out on you, leaving you with the highest bidder status.

Never place a bid if you don’t mean it. Even if it’s to “punish” the eventual winner. That being said, happens all the time. Only each bidder knows what motivates them.