• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

question for dealers who have looked at/ maybe purchased a lot of collections.

45 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

The guy wouldn't take no for an answer.  He just kept pressing me to make him and offer.  I finally offer $20 for several hundred books and he said yes.  I still have those books.

My buddy bought 250 longboxes for cheap and it was the worst mistake of his life.

9 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

The guy wouldn't take no for an answer.  He just kept pressing me to make him and offer.  I finally offer $20 for several hundred books and he said yes.  I still have those books.

:roflmao:

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

Nothing to worry about there will be some other collection that will come along.

I have been asked if I am interested in buying a collection. The seller is a former seller who was selling from this collection for 30 years. I am being offered what is left.

The seller has created a PDF listing and in the list is the book - date - cover price and the price they were asking for it at previous shows.Of note is no grades are provided.

Since this collection has been hauled around to comic shows for literally 30 years it is very devoid of keys, and I guarantee you the remaining books are in low grade ( as it is my opinion high grade specimens would have been long since plucked )

I sent the seller an email asking what they want for it all and also asking if they are willing to sell anything single.

Have not heard back yet. The thing is, I already know I am not buying it since I already know we will be very far apart in valuation of the collection when the seller has this book and their price in the PDF list is $150.00. It is at best a $10 book that you will never sell.

JUNK BOOK.jpg

But I heard there was a Beany and Cecil movie in the works over at Disney- ( :gossip:   now sit back and watch the stampede).

1 hour ago, kav said:

My buddy bought 250 longboxes for cheap and it was the worst mistake of his life.

my group was setup at a comic show and a guy walked up and offered us "several palettes full of long boxes."

After some discussion it turned out to be 1561 long boxes full of books, or several semi-truck trailers full. We talked about many things, wondering about what books could possibly be in the longs but mostly we wondered about storage. The storage room required to hold 1561 longs would be large to have any room to work/process the quantity and would be a lot of money per month. Who would do the work and when? 1561 boxes divided equally among the 4 of us is still a lot of boxes to sort/ process.

In the end we let it go and never knew what we could have purchased it for. Just a gargantuan headache is all it would have been in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

my group was setup at a comic show and a guy walked up and offered us "several palettes full of long boxes."

After some discussion it turned out to be 1561 long boxes full of books, or several semi-truck trailers full. We talked about many things, wondering about what books could possibly be in the longs but mostly we wondered about storage. The storage room required to hold 1561 longs would be large to have any room to work/process the quantity and would be a lot of money per month. Who would do the work and when? 1561 boxes divided equally among the 4 of us is still a lot of boxes to sort/ process.

In the end we let it go and never knew what we could have purchased it for. Just a gargantuan headache is all it would have been in my opinion.

you did the right thing

26 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

1561 long boxes gives me the shakes just thinking about it....

2 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

1561 long boxes gives me the shakes just thinking about it....

@kimik

One of the 4 of us was Kimik, and around the time we were talking about buying the 1561 longbox collection Kimik went on a trip out of town with his family. As a joke the other 3 of us were going to get a palette and stack it full of empty longs and then wrap it in shipping wrap and put a note on it and leave it in his driveway so when he got back he would see it and the note:

"We decided to buy the collection!

Here is the first palette of books which is part of your share of the books you need to start processing.

We can have the other palettes dropped off, let us know when you are ready for them."

I would have bought it, but with the idea that I would have been BRUTAL on the triage. Nothing - nothing - stays if it isn't worth money. What would the ratio of hits be? 1:100 so you'd end up with 15-20 longs of good stuff? Trip after trip after trip to the library around here to donate longs. Absolutely understand why you would have passed.

8 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

1561 longs?!  Good lord.   I've only purchased 1 CL collection in my life and it was 2 long boxes.  I am still going through and liquidating.  I purchased a year ago.  

don't forget the additional 61! :bigsmile:

Even 61 is a lot of work LOL

i've helped my LCS owner at a con. Move in is tough. I think he had 15 boxes. Everybody waiting for the stupid freight elevator. 

11 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

They were all AF15's that would grade out as 9.8 white. Too bad.

You have to get the feel of the seller. Sometimes, it's best to be upfront and disappoint the seller. Other times, it's easier to fake taking some notes, explain you need to do a bit of research and get back to them with a proper offer.   By phone, explain that after checking your inventory, you aren't interested or throw out an offer.

3 hours ago, musicmeta said:

They were all AF15's that would grade out as 9.8 white. Too bad.

far more likely to be the left over inventory from one (or more) closed comic stores.

Yes there would have been gems within but the cost would have been more than we wanted to spend. Time, storage, etc.

Even at 10 cents a book it would have cost us $50,000 dollars just to make the purchase

Edited by Artboy99

13 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

That was a group of my friends' collection we brought to you back then

It was 1561 longboxes all of this one book:

You missed out big time!

bloodwulf.jpe