• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2022 at 7:23 PM, Bosco685 said:

I think it is the general design of the story, and the twerking just added on to the disappointment.

What I think didn't help the show structure the story in a way this all came together nicely is with that news coming out how they swapped around episodes. So taking Episode 8 and throwing it forward to make it Episode 1, you had Jen already coming across as an established attorney with what appears to be a solid career. So having her complain to Bruce how much she tries to be taken seriously, and yet has to work so much harder than men and yet still isn't taken serious may ignore her accomplishments at that point in time.

I wonder if they had left it at Episode 8 of 9 (it will be 9 episodes total), it could have setup some of the story in a way her frustration and explosions would seem logically fitting.

But then it is the supporting characters they are throwing out there as comedy pieces as well. Those wanting some of the more serious MCU story influences could be disappointed. The Wrecking Crew seem to much of a mess for now to be taken serious.

Yeah I agree there was a little weird jump with how they shifted some episodes around (I guess to get the origin right out of the way for people new to the character) - for sure could have been smoothed out better. But to be fair she was always an established attorney - she had worked hard and that was the entire crux of why she didn't want the superhero life fostered on her (she had a life she built up and got somewhere). She can still be accomplished and also STILL have to deal with crappy men all the time.

Wrecking Crew was hilarious, and I say that as a fan of them for years (Thunder Ball was in the first comic I ever read)...they were D list at the best of times so honestly I see maybe their two or threes fans tops being actually disappointed about them in the show :D  

On 9/3/2022 at 6:16 PM, Sauce Dog said:

That is a pretty garbage take tbh. A woman dancing with a friend in no way means she deserves to get harassed by dudes on the street? Catcalling is being sexualized without consent while twerking is choosing to...dance. 

This is literally "but what was she wearing" type cry putting the blame on women again for why they are not respected or get harassed. She danced in her office with a very relevant client, not in public (and even then it would still not have justified her being sexually harassed).

You can find it cringe and not like it, that's fine, but this take is one that needs to be dropped.   

You disagree, fine. 

Women who sexualize themselves are often surprised when they're viewed as sexual objects. "Clutch the pearls, he's saying what he thinks about me!!"

Some might even say catcalling in public is a form of free-speech. Offensive, yes, very much so. But so is having any number of highly offensive t-shirt designs or bumper-sticker slogans visible in public.  

But the idea that a harmless viewpoint that you disagree with "is one that needs to be dropped" is childishly absurd. 

Edited by jcjames

I think it’s fair to say that the comments made by the character in the 1st episode, that the fans who were turned off by that message are now watching the show for the mere sport of bashing the show, whether it’s the lack of quality, the contradictions etc 

the silliest part is that you still continue to watch the show’ Disney may have found the perfect formula

youll watch whether you love it or you despise it 

reminds me of political talk shows 

On 9/3/2022 at 7:41 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I think it’s fair to say that the comments made by the character in the 1st episode, that the fans who were turned off by that message are now watching the show for the mere sport of bashing the show, whether it’s the lack of quality, the contradictions etc 

the silliest part is that you still continue to watch the show’ Disney may have found the perfect formula

Some of us stopped watching after the first episode. But you're right, seeing short clips of a trainwreck (or traintwerk) like this is hard to ignore. xD

On 9/3/2022 at 6:03 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Not sure what everyone's issue with episode three was...it was good and was the typical courtroom/case episode I was assuming this show would get into. Sticking to the self absorbed man-baby was great. The twerking at the end was nothing, and arguably better than other instances of dancing in the MCU as this literally is taking place in a very lighthearted COMEDY series for a single second.

Could the CGI be better, yes...in fact it looked most out of place on Abomination, but for a short comedy series I couldn't care less. Disney/MCU should pay the effects teams more and better treat their workers, so that is the main complaint with any bad CGI - and not that a big green lady doesn't look right for about ten minutes of screen time.

The courtroom scenes were awful.  Yes, TV needs to bend or break real rules for the sake of comedy or the plot at times, but it needs to show understanding and grounding in reality. So to write these scenes they need to know how these thing work in real life. I have no sense these writers grasp how real courtrooms or the law works. The writers admitted they were not good at writing these scenes.  They further said they abandoned an extended Abomination arc centered around the courtroom because they could not make it work. This is a legal based comedy, anyone else see a problem here? Examples....

1. The parole committee would never say they had already made up their minds as their opening statement.

2. Wong would have been arrested for aiding in a prison escape (they could not hold him, but he would be charged). It's mentioned half heartedly. 

3. When the shape shifter impersonated the Judged, she would be held in contempt, and put in jail on the spot, and likely a Judge would have ruled against her right there.

4. They have no idea how damages work. He would not have just been reworded what he lost (or a good attorney would never ask for just the base amount), she would have had to pay his legal fees and some damages in addition.

5. When would only one witness be heard, and there would be no cross examination or rebuttal?

Look back at courtroom comedies in the past like Night Court, or My Cousin Vinnie (I know a movie).  It is obvious the writers know how courtrooms work, and how the law works. When they brake the rules,  it is clear they know it, but is is needed for the joke or plot.. This there is no indication these writers have that basic understanding.

Edited by drotto

On 9/4/2022 at 12:44 AM, drotto said:

Look back at courtroom comedies in the past like Night Court, or My Cousin Vinnie (I know a movie).  It is obvious the writers know how courtrooms work, and how the law works. When they brake the rules,  it is clear they know it, but is is needed for the joke or plot.. This there is no indication these writers have that basic understanding.

I was just going to reference Night Court. Good example. As much as that was pure comedy, they also ensured to make clear the oddities judges, bailiffs and lawyers deal with at the ugliest of times - yet made us laugh while doing it.

Even with Ally McBeal - the reference point for this show - it still stuck to ensuring court procedures and the profession practices of lawyers played out though in the craziest of scenarios. And it worked for 5 seasons. Though the latter parts got more nonsensical.

She-Hulk was going to focus more on the court drama comedy throughout. But then the creative team changed their minds.

On 9/3/2022 at 10:41 PM, jsilverjanet said:

For me, I'm watching because I am hoping it meets more of my expectations soon. And lines up Thunderbolts smartly.

I'd hate to watch CBMs and shows and participate in discussion threads just to bash them as a practice. But this big change in the MCU seems to feed such disappointment.

On 9/3/2022 at 10:41 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Love hate. Hate love.

Chanel No. 5

I cringed when I saw the Twerking...not because I thought it was sexual, but because I thought it was childish...but I already cringed through gas jokes, so I was not shocked. I've said before, I didn't think the show was really small child friendly, but the emphasis on butt type jokes like this would make a 6 year old laugh (and repeat it endlessly)

The one thing I will note is...they were ALONE in her office. It wasn't on display for anyone else...because YOU were not actually there, you are just watching a show....and sometimes women do things that are just as childish as their counterparts (when they are goofing off with a friend). If she twerked in a courtroom, I'd probably be beyond cringing.

On 9/4/2022 at 5:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

I'd hate to watch CBMs and shows and participate in discussion threads just to bash them as a practice. But this big change in the MCU seems to feed such disappointment.

But you’d agree that this is happening here with this show 

the bashing with the WB/DC is they don’t watch it and bash it

here they are watching and bashing 

Disney can’t lose 

On 9/4/2022 at 4:48 AM, The Meta said:

Twerking is not dancing

Its a sexual display

You interpret it the way you want 

I could quote endless lines from dancing movies like when Tony in Saturday night fever  it’s just dancing it don’t mean nothing 

or Dirty Dancing and how the crowd reacts to their moves

or the whole premise of Footloose

On 9/4/2022 at 7:51 AM, jsilverjanet said:

You interpret it the way you want 

I could quote endless lines from dancing movies like when Tony in Saturday night fever  it’s just dancing it don’t mean nothing 

or Dirty Dancing and how the crowd reacts to their moves

or the whole premise of Footloose

Any of them started by Miley Cyrus?

On 9/4/2022 at 9:49 AM, jsilverjanet said:

Disney can’t lose 

Bashing is fun. 

The biggest problem with this show was the biggest problem with all the promo-trailers: the CGI for Jenn is amazingly bad, at least at times, and especially in E3. 

It’s apparent some of you need to find a better way to relieve some stress and enjoy life more

maybe some of you need to get a hobby 

life shouldn’t be this painful 

I mean it’s a tv show based on a comic book

what do any of you expect?