• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2022 at 11:42 AM, D84 said:

"Obvious and Insulting My Intelligence" is the Phase 4 motto.

Honestly,  I give Marvel props for getting me to watch this.  It is objectively bad, but I can not pull my eyes away for some weird reason. It is the literal car crash where you can not help but watch. But, by doing that I admit Marvel wins.

So, I am getting entertainment out of the show, but it is clearly for all the wrong reasons, and not what the show intended. I am hate watching and getting entertainment out of ripping it to shreds.  I guess I need to admit I have issues. 😜 

While we have given Feige a lot of credit for the great work he did during the Infinity Saga, it's probable that Phase Bore's woes are (at least somewhat) due to not having enough time to 'proofread' the vast amount of projects that are green-lit. They need multiple producers of Feige's talent in order to maintain the quality across this many movies and shows.

Or, it's possible that Disney leadership was onto something when Marvel TV and the MCU were handled by separate people. Feige might not know what it takes to produce a good TV show.

Feige is clearly delegating to the wrong people right now.

I'm done.  I got about 15 minutes into ep 4 and had to stop when she was yet again in another bar with a date she met through a website.  Why should I be interested in this cliche of a "comedy" show that's not even funny?  Its a shame because Tatiana is a good actress and if it were done right this could've been incredible (pun intended!)

I couldn’t quite place it until I looked up his credits but Donny blaze is the same actor who played billy Walsh in entourage.

If the rest of the series has the same humor and pace of episode 4, I’ll consider the series a win. Yes it’s way out of left field for MCU but it’s supposed to be a comedy and not taken seriously. 

On 9/4/2022 at 2:48 AM, The Meta said:

Twerking is not dancing

Its a sexual display

At least from wiki it is a dance that is more complex than you assume.

Twerking (/ˈtwɜːrkɪŋ/; possibly from 'to work') is a type of dance that came out of the bounce music scene of New Orleans in the late 1980s. Individually performed chiefly but not exclusively by women,[1][2] performers dance to popular music in a sexually provocative manner involving throwing or thrusting their hips back or shaking their buttocks, often in a low squatting stance.[3] Twerking is part of a larger set of characteristic moves unique to the New Orleans style of hip-hop known as "bounce".[4] Moves include "mixing", "exercising", the "bend over", the "shoulder hustle", "clapping", "booty clapping", "booty poppin", and "the wild wood"—all recognized as booty shaking or bounce.[5][6] Twerking is but one choreographic gesture within bounce.

Edited by PovertyRow

On 9/4/2022 at 2:21 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Yeah I agree there was a little weird jump with how they shifted some episodes around (I guess to get the origin right out of the way for people new to the character) - for sure could have been smoothed out better. But to be fair she was always an established attorney - she had worked hard and that was the entire crux of why she didn't want the superhero life fostered on her (she had a life she built up and got somewhere). She can still be accomplished and also STILL have to deal with crappy men all the time.

Wrecking Crew was hilarious, and I say that as a fan of them for years (Thunder Ball was in the first comic I ever read)...they were D list at the best of times so honestly I see maybe their two or threes fans tops being actually disappointed about them in the show :D  

Wrecking Crew? I thought they were the Village people. :eek:

On 9/8/2022 at 3:21 PM, PovertyRow said:

At least from wiki it is a dance that is more complex than you assume.

Twerking (/ˈtwɜːrkɪŋ/; possibly from 'to work') is a type of dance that came out of the bounce music scene of New Orleans in the late 1980s. Individually performed chiefly but not exclusively by women,[1][2] performers dance to popular music in a sexually provocative manner involving throwing or thrusting their hips back or shaking their buttocks, often in a low squatting stance.[3] Twerking is part of a larger set of characteristic moves unique to the New Orleans style of hip-hop known as "bounce".[4] Moves include "mixing", "exercising", the "bend over", the "shoulder hustle", "clapping", "booty clapping", "booty poppin", and "the wild wood"—all recognized as booty shaking or bounce.[5][6] Twerking is but one choreographic gesture within bounce.

Yeah, so a sexual display

Dancing evolved in native cultures by watching birds. Tribes in Papa New Guinea would watch mating displays and emulate them in their dances

On 9/8/2022 at 8:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

... I just can't fathom writing something based on real-life contemporary practices and doing no research to make sure that you're not conveying how ignorant you are

I recently read an article (can't find it now) lamenting the striking increase in the amount of graduate research publications in social sciences that are basically just the author writing about how they feel about a topic and their own personal subjective experiences... and that is being passed off as "research" and actually being published as scholarly research. 

That "research" in social sciences is rapidly devolving to become self-centered "reflections" rather than objective inquiry. 

Gotta love this generation! xD

On 9/8/2022 at 9:50 AM, drotto said:

Honestly,  I give Marvel props for getting me to watch this.  It is objectively bad, but I can not pull my eyes away for some weird reason. It is the literal car crash where you can not help but watch. But, by doing that I admit Marvel wins.

So, I am getting entertainment out of the show, but it is clearly for all the wrong reasons, and not what the show intended. I am hate watching and getting entertainment out of ripping it to shreds.  I guess I need to admit I have issues. 😜 

I admit I am still watching as well but I do not like a lot of what I am seeing. I have not seen episode 4 yet, and i have heard ep04 is the dating app garbage that I know I will despise but anyways....

One of my best friends assured me that Jen's character will go through a development arc in this show where she learns she actually does need the help of others. I am looking forward to seeing that when it happens.

On 9/4/2022 at 2:48 AM, The Meta said:

Twerking is not dancing

Its a sexual display

On 9/8/2022 at 3:53 PM, The Meta said:

Yeah, so a sexual display

Dancing evolved in native cultures by watching birds. Tribes in Papa New Guinea would watch mating displays and emulate them in their dances

So which one is it? Not dancing? Or is it or dancing which evolved from "native" cultures watching mating displays?

I have spent the last 49 years studying and playing classical North Indian music, which is rooted in rhythm, vocal and dance.Evidence of dance in India goes back about 9,000 years from cave paintings and about 4500 years from sculptures. Dance there is rooted in religion with complex attributions and attributes. Simply stating "Dancing evolved in native cultures by watching birds." is spurious at best.

:preach:  :hi:

Just watched Ep 4 and loved it. The whole Wong/Madisynn situation is freaking hilarious. Yeah, the dating app thing was not the best and predictable but I still enjoyed it. 

Now here is a question for the haters. The haters talk about the female dynamic, putting down men, making women superior etc in cliche ways. How about really popular films and tv shows that did the same thins She-Hulk is being accused of, but male oriented rather than female oriented. Just one example for now (there are hundreds that qualify): James Bond movies. Holy crispola can you say "She-Hulk in reverse?" CAN YOU? I know I can!

Edited by PovertyRow
font change on Madisynn

On 9/9/2022 at 12:18 AM, PovertyRow said:

Just watched Ep 4 and loved it. The whole Wong/Madisynn situation is freaking hilarious. Yeah, the dating app thing was not the best and predictable but I still enjoyed it. 

Now here is a question for the haters. The haters talk about the female dynamic, putting down men, making women superior etc in cliche ways. How about really popular films and tv shows that did the same thins She-Hulk is being accused of, but male oriented rather than female oriented. Just one example for now (there are hundreds that qualify): James Bond movies. Holy crispola can you say "She-Hulk in reverse?" CAN YOU? I know I can!

If that was their intention, and it was clear they were doing a parody of those old TV shows and movies, it could be funny and brilliant. I do not get the impression at all that is what they are doing here, and they have not given any indication they are capable of doing that level of writing. This comes across as self inserting, self therapy, and mean spirited. If it was well done parody, that is not the impression it would leave. Good parody makes subtle nods to what was good and what people loved about those shows, while then comically exaggerating or flipping what was bad, silly, and yes even outdated. In addition, those things you are referencing were made with a very different mindset, in a very different era, with different ideals. While modern eyes may see them as all those things,  the eyes of the time, in general, did not see them in that light. When you comment on moral differences from a different generation, you need to acknowledge those differences, and why they existed. Yes, you can condemn then from a modern standpoint, while showing you realize times have changed, and that you can not blanket condemn people for what was expectable social norms.

On 9/8/2022 at 10:26 PM, drotto said:

In addition, those things you are referencing were made with a very different mindset, in a very different era, with different ideals. While modern eyes may see them as all those things,  the eyes of the time, in general, did not see them in that light. When you comment on moral differences from a different generation, you need to acknowledge those differences, and why they existed. Yes, you can condemn then from a modern standpoint, while showing you realize times have changed, and that you can not blanket condemn people for what was expectable social norms.

Mister Drotto. That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought out objection. Overruled. Yes, times have changed but those reactions still occur TODAY, outdated as they may be. This is not about the times creating a mood/feel etc. This is about modern day 21st century guys reacting to these outdated cliches as if they were uber cool. Makes no sense.

On 9/8/2022 at 9:18 PM, PovertyRow said:

...talk about the female dynamic, putting down men, making women superior etc in cliche ways. How about really popular films and tv shows that did the same thins She-Hulk is being accused of, but male oriented rather than female oriented. Just one example for now (there are hundreds that qualify): James Bond movies. Holy crispola can you say "She-Hulk in reverse?" CAN YOU? I know I can!

Tu quoque.