• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2022 at 8:55 PM, PovertyRow said:

So which one is it? Not dancing? Or is it or dancing which evolved from "native" cultures watching mating displays?

I have spent the last 49 years studying and playing classical North Indian music, which is rooted in rhythm, vocal and dance.Evidence of dance in India goes back about 9,000 years from cave paintings and about 4500 years from sculptures. Dance there is rooted in religion with complex attributions and attributes. Simply stating "Dancing evolved in native cultures by watching birds." is spurious at best.

:preach:  :hi:

Hopefully you'll forgive my ignorance 

Twerking is a woman slapping her cheeks.

Freedom of expression? Sure

Males are staring at it with erections, absolutely 

On 9/8/2022 at 5:21 PM, PovertyRow said:

At least from wiki it is a dance that is more complex than you assume.

Twerking (/ˈtwɜːrkɪŋ/; possibly from 'to work') is a type of dance that came out of the bounce music scene of New Orleans in the late 1980s. Individually performed chiefly but not exclusively by women,[1][2] performers dance to popular music in a sexually provocative manner involving throwing or thrusting their hips back or shaking their buttocks, often in a low squatting stance.[3] Twerking is part of a larger set of characteristic moves unique to the New Orleans style of hip-hop known as "bounce".[4] Moves include "mixing", "exercising", the "bend over", the "shoulder hustle", "clapping", "booty clapping", "booty poppin", and "the wild wood"—all recognized as booty shaking or bounce.[5][6] Twerking is but one choreographic gesture within bounce.

Strippers are "dancers", but in reality every one of us knows that it's purely a sexual display, much like this definition stating that it's, 'dancing in a sexually provocative manner'.

It's not the type of dancing I would condone in media, because of its purpose.

On 9/8/2022 at 11:14 PM, PovertyRow said:

You kind of missed the point. And fancy two-word Latin phrases are kind of debilis liquamen.

I bolded what that "fancy" (to you) two-word Latin phrase was in response to. 

You kind of missed that. 

It identified the red herring you used to prop up your debilis argumentis.

Edited by jcjames

EP04

Spoiler

Absolutely awful dialogue, especially Madysynn(sp?) I really can't stand her partially drunken way of speaking..."dimensh" UGH

Some court case between some two bit magician Kamatage reject and Wong. Shrug

She-Hulk dating is absolute cringe inducing. It is just an opinion of mine but dating apps isn't a positive thing in our world, and I definitely do not want to see a TV show with a superhero using such a platform. My interest is in seeing superheroes involved in fantastic escapist adventures.

Anyways back to this garbage. The dating montage suggests that she had lined up multiple dates for the same evening, I know it was meant to be different days but it doesn't appear that way so it made me think She-Hulk setup a speed dating event for herself.

After her use of the meat market tool she chooses the good looking muscular doctor dude (big surprise and honestly you wonder why she would have swiped to match with several of the rejects in the first place) and she takes him home. He spouts off his lines of sensitivity and "tell me about you" BS which She-Hulk is falling for but then She-Hulk is interrupted and goes to do some fight thing involving portal dimension demon things, then she comes back and she and the doctor dude bang (or perhaps we should simply say "She-Hulk SMASH!"):facepalm:

He spends the night, and in the morning he sees Jen instead of She-Hulk which freaks him out and he leaves. Jen "woe is me" dialogue. UGH. 

Titannia serves Jen with legal papers because she apparently trade marked the name "She-Hulk". 

Summary: Jen turned herself into a one night stand whore. Yay isn't this exactly what you want to see a superhero doing on TV? Yay!!!! meh

Somehow the worst episode yet. 

On 9/9/2022 at 7:25 AM, kimik said:

I have not watched the show and will not based on the mixed reviews, but I find it interesting that She-Hulk sleeping around/Tinder dating is being celebrated by a DIS show. They frown on swearing and gratuitous violence, but random hook-ups are fine. 

Sleeping around, twerking, its all part of  "sex-positivity" by our current forward-thinking generation,  as opposed to whorish sluttiness that backwards-thinking older generations called it. xD

On 9/9/2022 at 8:50 AM, jcjames said:

Sleeping around, twerking, its all part of  "sex-positivity" by our current forward-thinking generation,  as opposed to whorish sluttiness that backwards-thinking older generations called it. xD

I am just surprised it passed the DIS PC police since they are basically neutering everything else.

On 9/9/2022 at 4:27 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Old movies treating women like trash is no excuse for current media to treat men like trash. 2c

Unfortunately I forgot to include the point, which is that even today many such old films/tv shows are praised/enjoyed etc.

On 9/9/2022 at 12:12 PM, PovertyRow said:

Unfortunately I forgot to include the point, which is that even today many such old films/tv shows are praised/enjoyed etc.

We can not appreciate and enjoy them with knowledge of what they are and when they were made?  Enjoyment does not come with an idea of imicit approval. We can enjoy and disagree with some of what is presented. We should throw away anything that does not confirm to a modern and ever changing ideal?  With that mindset most old media must be thrown away.  Also, that mindset means anything created today can just as easily be thrown away if culture shifts again. Then everything becomes fleeting and disposable.   I do not want to live in that world.

Edited by drotto

I liked Gentlemen Prefer Blondes & How to Marry a Millionaire. 

The lead in SH may be hostile toward men, but she's also an office twerker & dating app devotee.

Sometimes, the more foolish the characters, the funnier the comedy.

the stupidity of the male in sitcoms has been growing for many years, it began with Homer Simpson and each passing year, the dad or the male leads are the butt of the jokes

this show is no different than many of other sitcoms

On 9/9/2022 at 9:19 AM, drotto said:

We can not appreciate and enjoy them with knowledge of what they are and when they were made?  Enjoyment does not come with an idea of imicit approval. We can enjoy and disagree with some of what is presented. We should throw away anything that does not confirm to a modern and ever changing ideal?  With that mindset most old media must be thrown away.  Also, that mindset means anything created today can just as easily be thrown away if culture shifts again. Then everything become fleeting and disposable.   I do not want to live in that world.

I am totally against such censorship. Just stating facts. And the funny thing is that 20 years from now we'll probably be saying the same thing about She-Hulk. 

On 9/9/2022 at 9:22 AM, jsilverjanet said:

the stupidity of the male in sitcoms has been growing for many years, it began with Homer Simpson and each passing year, the dad or the male leads are the butt of the jokes

this show is no different than many of other sitcoms

Good point. Yet we don't see the same furor around them as we so around She-Hulk.