• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SHE-HULK show (TBD)
5 5

1,228 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2022 at 8:52 AM, TupennyConan said:

Bashing is fun. 

The biggest problem with this show was the biggest problem with all the promo-trailers: the CGI for Jenn is amazingly bad, at least at times, and especially in E3. 

Is it? I don’t understand negative energy, maybe I’m a few electrons short 

On 9/4/2022 at 8:54 AM, jsilverjanet said:

It’s apparent some of you need to find a better way to relieve some stress and enjoy life more

maybe some of you need to get a hobby 

life shouldn’t be this painful 

I mean it’s a tv show based on a comic book

what do any of you expect? 

I would argue that your fascination with other peoples fascination is remarkably similar.

Ignore the show if you don't like it. Ignore the thread if you don't like it.

Not being combative, just an observation.

On 9/4/2022 at 8:58 AM, WeR138 said:

I would argue that your fascination with other peoples fascination is remarkably similar.

You left out use the ignore option on the forums.

On 9/4/2022 at 9:54 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I think this is a hobby for the majority of us, complaining about nerd culture and how the main stream is messing it up!lol 

For the record I have no idea what the current :slapfight: is about I just jumped in the discussion!

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 9/4/2022 at 9:37 AM, skypinkblu said:

I cringed when I saw the Twerking...not because I thought it was sexual, but because I thought it was childish...but I already cringed through gas jokes, so I was not shocked. I've said before, I didn't think the show was really small child friendly, but the emphasis on butt type jokes like this would make a 6 year old laugh (and repeat it endlessly)

The one thing I will note is...they were ALONE in her office. It wasn't on display for anyone else...because YOU were not actually there, you are just watching a show....and sometimes women do things that are just as childish as their counterparts (when they are goofing off with a friend). If she twerked in a courtroom, I'd probably be beyond cringing.

How effective is a Meagan Thee Stallion cameo on D+ in the MCU? This sounds like, based on reports on how it came together, that the actors and writers wanted it, and used their Disney pull. It was not something that the likely audience wanted.  Just hear me out.  This is on D+ which is supposed to be family friendly.  We have seen them avoid using swear words, and keep the actual sexual encounters at a pre-teen friendly level. Even the movie MCU only allows a few swear words.  So within Pop culture they get a big get with Meagan the Stallion, who's arguably biggest hit is WAP. She is not a family friendly entertainer. She will have appeal to some MCU fans, but we are likely not looking at a large overlap here. 

Disney is trying to appeal to a twenty something female demographic (likely tilting POC).  Again I get that, but this is airing on a streaming service, who's subscriber base is mainly families, comic book fans, and Star Wars fans. Are the people they are trying to appeal to really going to subscribe to see a one off cameo? Is this a show that has enough appeal to that group, that they are actually going to sub? Is this a group that is going to become hard core MCU fans? I still just get this feeling, that with the MCU being 12 or more years old at this point, if you are not already watching, is there really anything that is going to get you to watch? Even if they nail the demographic, and get these new people to watch, the existing content has not been appealing to them for over 12 years, is this really going to change their minds?

On 9/4/2022 at 9:55 AM, jsilverjanet said:

Is it? I don’t understand negative energy, maybe I’m a few electrons short 

It is not negative energy, it is channeling our disappointment.  We are on CGC becomes we love comics, comic stories, comic universes, etc.  The inner child in us gets excited every time a new character we know and love gets a shot to become mainstream. We have pictured what that would look like, sound like, what that plot would be for years. So we have expectations, we want to love it, because that inner child wanted to see things like this our entire lives. 

So when that product falls short on expectations, we get very disappointed, and need to express that. So we come here to vent knowing people here will hear us out.

On 9/4/2022 at 10:45 AM, D84 said:

Basically, group one is criticizing She-Hulk and group two is implying those criticizing the show are sexist.

Group three :popcorn:

Group four doesn't care either way.

I switch between groups 1, 3 and 4.

Marvel Viewers (Any Nerd culture really)

Group 1: Old School nerds that waited multiple decades for good on screen depictions of the lore and don't want anything changed.

Group 2: Noobs or casual nerds who don't care about nerd history and just want to be entertained.

Group 3: Noobs that don't like the nerd genera but have an agenda and want to insert themselves/opinions and if you don't agree with them you are a racist or sexist.

Group 4: Can't can't think of any right now LOL

On 9/4/2022 at 9:49 AM, jsilverjanet said:

But you’d agree that this is happening here with this show 

the bashing with the WB/DC is they don’t watch it and bash it

here they are watching and bashing 

Disney can’t lose 

There are those that are either mostly or consistently pounce on certain studio productions to complain how they don't get comic books.

I think with the excitement of finally seeing a live She-Hulk show, it's the surprise at how Marvel Studios tackled this. And the lead writer's statements only feeds the disappointment.

But that shouldn't detract from anyone enjoying the show. It doesn't have to fit the old traditional mold. Though that only feeds Marvel Studios' confidence to offer up more content like this.

Edited by Bosco685

On 9/4/2022 at 5:56 AM, Bosco685 said:

I was just going to reference Night Court. Good example. As much as that was pure comedy, they also ensured to make clear the oddities judges, bailiffs and lawyers deal with at the ugliest of times - yet made us laugh while doing it.

Even with Ally McBeal - the reference point for this show - it still stuck to ensuring court procedures and the profession practices of lawyers played out though in the craziest of scenarios. And it worked for 5 seasons. Though the latter parts got more nonsensical.

She-Hulk was going to focus more on the court drama comedy throughout. But then the creative team changed their minds.

Why did they not do what most TV shows do? Hire consultants within the profession, to make sure they were making it somewhat accurate.  I am sure Night Court had legal consultants.  I know another one of my favorite comedies, Scrubs, used medical consultants.  Does this ensure accuracy, absolutely not, but it still has an important role in keeping it someone grounded. It also serves a role guiding writers on how to actually write this stuff, because they are not experts.

On 9/4/2022 at 9:54 AM, jsilverjanet said:

It’s apparent some of you need to find a better way to relieve some stress and enjoy life more

life shouldn’t be this painful 

I mean it’s a tv show based on a comic book

what do any of you expect? 

Talking about this stuff, venting about this stuff, is stress relief.  Letting it out makes people feel better.  Letting it out here is fun. This is one of the few places, usually filled with hard core fans, where we can safely do this with regards to comics.  Despite the recent popularity, venting about this to me real life friends does not garner the same responses or sympathies. 

Yes, I do get plenty of stress relief elsewhere also.  Thanks for caring.  

On 9/4/2022 at 7:37 AM, skypinkblu said:

I cringed when I saw the Twerking...not because I thought it was sexual, but because I thought it was childish...but I already cringed through gas jokes, so I was not shocked. I've said before, I didn't think the show was really small child friendly, but the emphasis on butt type jokes like this would make a 6 year old laugh (and repeat it endlessly)

The one thing I will note is...they were ALONE in her office. It wasn't on display for anyone else...because YOU were not actually there, you are just watching a show....and sometimes women do things that are just as childish as their counterparts (when they are goofing off with a friend). If she twerked in a courtroom, I'd probably be beyond cringing.

agreed. It was very childish especially when it is a lawyer who has just started a new job and is at work with a client in an office. Was it included in the show because it is supposed to make me laugh? All it did was make me roll my eyes yet again at the level of cringe.

The comment about getting stress relief and getting a hobby was an inside joke with Meta that he didn’t get - it’s a tactic people here use on other people (in other threads) to invalidate and make them seem disfuncional 

Edited by jsilverjanet

On 9/4/2022 at 8:58 AM, WeR138 said:

Yes of course it is, hence I am also guilty of the same thing I am accusing others of - hence why I am full of it 

that was the point sorta of that post

however I do believe this show put a target on its back with the way they set up the main character 

they didn’t help their defense by putting out a poor product (through I do enjoy it, but my bar is very low) 

On 9/4/2022 at 1:35 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Yes of course it is, hence I am also guilty of the same thing I am accusing others of - hence why I am full of it 

that was the point sorta of that post

however I do believe this show put a target on its back with the way they set up the main character 

they didn’t help their defense by putting out a poor product (through I do enjoy it, but my bar is very low) 

Stop causing trouble & answer my PM :makepoint:

On 9/4/2022 at 11:31 AM, jsilverjanet said:

The comment about getting stress relief and getting a hobby was an inside joke with Meta that he didn’t get - it’s a tactic people here use on other people (in other threads) to invalidate and make them seem disfuncional 

You know where to find me