• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paying 2X Guide...Advice?

31 posts in this topic

Fo a More Fun 65, I will go against the crowd and say, yes, I would pay it. I have actually seen this book a few times in the last year, but always low grade. This book was on my want list since I was twelve. I finally bought my CGC copy a few years back for $700, 4.5 OW/W pages. This was the first copy I had ever seen for sell at the time (I was ~39 at the time). I have looked at the Metro copy a few times, but I think my 4.5 looks as good so it wouldn't really be an upgrade. I know if I were to consider selling my copy, I would ask quite a bit for it, maybe more than the 2x price. I still pull that book out and look at the cover, truly one of the best in the run.

Thanks for your input, batman_fan. Truly, I consider this and #54 the two best covers in the run.

Interesting that between Metropolis (2), Esquirecomics, and yourself, I can account for 4 of the 5 graded copies in existence! That's the MAGIC of these boards.

I know that Gerber rating of 5 suggests 150-200 copies, but still only 5 graded.

what I would do, and what I wish I would have done Sooooo many times in the past, is ...go ahead and buy it, then if you see another that's better condition or a better deal,, sell the one you have and then get the upgrade copy...I can't tell you how many times, I've passed on a book I've wanted because I thought, "ah, I'll find another copy or better copy later.." ....I'm still waiting to find a few of my want lists books for sale....

besides, a book like More Fun 65 will retain it's value well...so do it !!...jump !! make the big purchase !!

you can always sell it later...

what I would do, and what I wish I would have done Sooooo many times in the past, is ...go ahead and buy it, then if you see another that's better condition or a better deal,, sell the one you have and then get the upgrade copy...I can't tell you how many times, I've passed on a book I've wanted because I thought, "ah, I'll find another copy or better copy later.." ....I'm still waiting to find a few of my want lists books for sale....

besides, a book like More Fun 65 will retain it's value well...so do it !!...jump !! make the big purchase !!

you can always sell it later...

Wise advice. I agree. thumbsup2.gif

That's what I've been doing on my GA stuff. Some of my Wings rarely show up so I buy when I can and hope to upgrade later. What's great about buying a lower grade then you would normally accept is that you don't feel the tension of cracking that baby open and reading it from time to time. thumbsup2.gif

It's a hefty pricetag, but it's not unconscionable either. You could do worse.

Generally speaking, I don't start paying multiples for GA books unless they're in the 9.0 or better zone....that hasn't always held true, but it's a general rule of thumb for books that I don't feel I absolutely have to have. I have paid double guide for GA 9.2s (unrestored/slabbed), for example, on a number of occasions.

Now naturally I love this book, and have seen it on Metro's site as well. I suppose what held me back from pulling the trigger was the feeling that I could someday get it on ebay or heritage for less, with a little patience. Plus I'd be happy with a nice-looking 4.0 and thus save a few bucks...since it's not HG, I tend to go solely by eye appeal as opposed to looking for hidden structural flaws and such.

But hey, like I said , you could certainly do worse! thumbsup2.gif

Generally speaking, I don't start paying multiples for GA books unless they're in the 9.0 or better zone....that hasn't always held true, but it's a general rule of thumb for books that I don't feel I absolutely have to have.

Btw, I just remembered that I paid double guide for LB Coles in 8.0 on two occasions. shy.gif

It's not that rare of a book. I own a copy in 7.5, a friend has a 4.5 and another friend has a 5.0 (all unslabbed). I owned two copies of 65, but sold one a few years ago. 65 has also been on ebay several times, all different copies.

There was a book I wanted a few years ago. I had the money but the price was kind of high(4x guide) so I passed (it was also a Golden-age / Atomic-age book). 2 years down the line I wish I had bought the book. I eventually spent the money but I still check auctions all the time hoping that the book will be there.

The moral of the story is,

Money comes and goes but a book you love is something that will stay with you forever. If you like the book in person at Chicago, don't make my mistake.