• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Verified File Copies

60 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Is the Action 7. Court copy considered a file / archives copy ? 

Everyone, including CGC, calls them a "Court Copy."  They really are court filed exhibits.  Typically, at trial, an attorney will provide the Court with multiple copies of an exhibit, keep one, and also provide one to the opposing counsel.  Thus, a "Court Copy" could have come from the old case file of the Court or either side's counsel.  But, it would not be a "file copy" in the sense of having been stored and maintained by the publisher for its own files.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F6%2F9%2F3%2F2693160%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

4 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I'd love to.near those.stories.

Not really my story to tell.  I forget who told it.  Maybe Moondog/Gary C?  

My best recollection is that the storyteller relayed how DC used to have a binder in its lobby back in the 1970s which contained the laminated pages of an Action 1.  Apparently, it was the publisher's personal copy which had been cut up for use in making the Famous First Edition.  Gary (or whoever it was) opined that it would have been high grade if not cut up and laminated.  Said it was a really nice copy.

18 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Not really my story to tell.  I forget who told it.  Maybe Moondog/Gary C?  

My best recollection is that the storyteller relayed how DC used to have a binder in its lobby back in the 1970s which contained the laminated pages of an Action 1.  Apparently, it was the publisher's personal copy which had been cut up for use in making the Famous First Edition.  Gary (or whoever it was) opined that it would have been high grade if not cut up and laminated.  Said it was a really nice copy.

I did hear that story before 👍🏻

7 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Highest price paid for a file copy ?  

$350K in a private sale for the Pay Copy of MC 1 would be my guess.  Highest at auction?  Probably $227K for the Pay Copy at Heritage ... seven years after the private sale.

21 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

$350K in a private sale for the Pay Copy of MC 1 would be my guess.  Highest at auction?  Probably $227K for the Pay Copy at Heritage ... seven years after the private sale.

Thx. Please define “ Pay Copy”. More than one ??

Very nice books Corey. I've got some unstamped Dell "file copies" too. But I suspect they are actually just uncirculated copies that were found years later. Pretty sure I've read about warehouse finds along those lines.

2 minutes ago, AJD said:

Very nice books Corey. I've got some unstamped Dell "file copies" too. But I suspect they are actually just uncirculated copies that were found years later. Pretty sure I've read about warehouse finds along those lines.

Thanks Andrew!

Yes, i believe I have read about the same thing here on these Boards also. Maybe by @Scrooge ? Anyway, i'm sure everyone won't mind seeing them if you want to post them :headbang:

Scanning the HA Nov. auction and saw this one.  Not the first time it has been auctioned though.

Master Comics #5 Publisher's File Copy (Fawcett Publ., 1940) Condition: FN. A Gerber "8" or "rare," this is only the third, and the highest-graded, copy that Heritage has offered. A Master Man image dominates Ken Battefield's art. This grand specimen bears a "Checking Copy" rubber-stamp imprint on the front cover, as evidence of its having served as a file copy of Fawcett's production department. Overstreet 2018 FN 6.0 value = $717.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/master-comics-5-publisher-s-file-copy-fawcett-publ-1940-condition-fn/p/7212-30005.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

21394233%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u