• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 197 club

28 posts in this topic

Nice thread Joey!

Here’s my former copy. Still waiting on finding a keeper.

I always wondered how Bruce found replacement purple pants every time he transformed. 

4F9B7F2C-0921-4BFC-B85B-134DEA3333BB.jpeg

One of the better Len Wein stories from the period, if not quite up to the standard of Steve Gerber’s Man-Thing issues.

A two part story.

And, a fantastic Wrightson cover.

I don’t have a copy anymore. :frown:

8 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

One of the better Len Wein stories from the period, if not quite up to the standard of Steve Gerber’s Man-Thing issues.

A two part story.

And, a fantastic Wrightson cover.

I don’t have a copy anymore. :frown:

This is one of those books I never got around to reading Ken and I always found the cover to be weird. Just out of interest, what did The Collector collect? Apart from cloaks with massive open cowls that is.

hm

It's not Charlton pence copies is it? 

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

This is one of those books I never got around to reading Ken and I always found the cover to be weird. Just out of interest, what did The Collector collect? Apart from cloaks with massive open cowls that is.

hm

It's not Charlton pence copies is it? 

Come to think of it, didn't The Schemer always wear a cloak with a massive open cowl? You don't think he went to the same cloak shop as The Collector do you? 

11 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

This is one of those books I never got around to reading Ken and I always found the cover to be weird. Just out of interest

Wein seemed to be trying to emulate Gerber’s style on Man-Thing rather than the more Gothic tone of his Swamp Thing issues, which was fair enough.

Generally, not one of my favourite writers for Hulk, and a character I didn’t get into until the more psychological approach starting in the 80s.

Edited by Ken Aldred

22 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Come to think of it, didn't The Schemer always wear a cloak with a massive open cowl? You don't think he went to the same cloak shop as The Collector do you? 

I was born with a caul,wish ma had let me keep it.I could have been Super Villain Jimmers! 

giphy.gif

A little ON topic...As I was just reading a Heap story last night it just got me wondering,did Bernie ever create any Heap pictures?

Here's my (brother's) old copy. Long gone now:

197.thumb.jpg.97b31b432a328ff1b1aeab438e135276.jpg 197b.thumb.jpg.e34282fa143ce0bb7f277870dcaede46.jpg

As I said, I always found the cover a little weird as a young whipper snapper, probably because it was so different to it's predecessors. But looking at it now with older eyes I can see a fine composition there. It's a great use of space isn't it - the cover is full. No space unused. That fellow on the back cover got on your nerves after a while though didn't he. I wonder what happened to him. 

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

That fellow on the back cover got on your nerves after a while though didn't he. I wonder what happened to him. 

He had a long and successful career selling Grit, which allowed him to retire in the Bahamas.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

As I said, I always found the cover a little weird as a young whipper snapper, probably because it was so different to it's predecessors. But looking at it now with older eyes I can see a fine composition there. It's a great use of space isn't it - the cover is full. No space unused.

I was familiar with Wrightson's work very early on in collecting.  I always thought he was quite superb; composition, graphic storytelling, fantastic fusion of Ingels' and Frazetta's art styles.

14 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Just out of interest, what did The Collector collect?

He started out collecting specimens of alien species, but eventually it was any shiny trinket, so to speak, that looked valuable and important.

You see that in the first GOTG film, where he has captive lifeforms, but also obsesses about acquiring Infinity gems.

Edited by Ken Aldred

34 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Don’t forget this character...

670717.jpg

I just reread that last week-Mmle Porcupine found me a shoebox of comics and this issue was in it.I'd bought it off the stands,and I still dislike(below)incarnation intensely.Had to dig out above and cleanse my palate.Glob bites the soggy swamp dust below.

latest?cb=20180107225941