• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7th Annual Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 2
5 5

353 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

So this will scroll down so fast nobody will even see it. But, I just don't see that books are judged the same irregardless of age. Aren't they supposed to be? At least kinda? You show me a modern that grades as a 7.0 and a 12 cent comic in the same condition is going to grade out way higher. Not saying I necessarily disagree with that, but...

wings88fc.thumb.jpg.982e1621962b2895c97f78c807db3715.jpg

Looks better than a 6.0, right?

10 minutes ago, WPPJames said:

So this will scroll down so fast nobody will even see it. But, I just don't see that books are judged the same irregardless of age. Aren't they supposed to be? At least kinda? You show me a modern that grades as a 7.0 and a 12 cent comic in the same condition is going to grade out way higher. Not saying I necessarily disagree with that, but...

GA are judged kindly, moderns are hammered

CGC sees modern book and goes its Hammertime

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, WPPJames said:

LOL. At this point I'm so confused I don't even know. My scores are: 5 -1 5 -1 . So I'm a bipolar grader.

Its possible your Sun sign and Rising sign are in opposition.

Ouch!

The hardest part about Wings was the back top edge. I fell on the side of it looking like it had some back top edge abrasion/tears. Apparently it was only horrific tanning and waterline worthy of a 6.0. meh

And the Cap book, that's a hard hard grade for that book, I pegged it as 5.0. Apparently it was far worse staining than Wings. (:

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya it's an 8.0 subtract 2 points for the stain! Ya let's go with that lol

Maybe it looks like a 7.0 from the front cover.

The covers are probably 60% of the grade.  The front cover is probably worth more than the back cover, right? I think so. 

The interior could be quite nice, and that's really what you can't tell from a scan.  That's where guessing and a bit of luck will come in. 

1 minute ago, kav said:

I personally agree they should be. I believe that factoring in how many other comics are available in that grade (moderns = tons / GA = few) should be a big consideration. Just my opinion. But you look at the CGC Grading Scale and it reads almost like a one size fits all irregardless of age / scarcity of comic.

1 minute ago, WPPJames said:

I personally agree they should be. I believe that factoring in how many other comics are available in that grade (moderns = tons / GA = few) should be a big consideration. Just my opinion. But you look at the CGC Grading Scale and it reads almost like a one size fits all irregardless of age / scarcity of comic.

you cant really judge GA and moderns the same-moderns are made of tough slick paper for one thing.

9 minutes ago, kav said:

CGC sees modern book and goes its Hammertime

I think they should HEAVILY hammer moderns, maybe cut down on the thousands of day-old drek books being submitted every month if they hammered them with extreme prejudice!

And speaking of Hammertime...

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, kav said:

you cant really judge GA and moderns the same-moderns are made of tough slick paper for one thing.

Makes sense. That's why I'm asking these questions. To hopefully learn some from the rest of you guys.

But I still have the same score as you :headbang:.  That was obviously meant in jest, as I'm sure after RD #10 you will bring that comment back to haunt me.

Just now, WPPJames said:

Makes sense. That's why I'm asking these questions. To hopefully learn some from the rest of you guys.

But I still have the same score as you :headbang:.  That was obviously meant in jest, as I'm sure after RD #10 you will bring that comment back to haunt me.

I looked at the Wings and saw a 4.0 so I bumped it up to 5.0 based on the GA bump

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

I saw 3.0 and GA-bumped it to 4.0 based on the imaginary abrasions I thought I saw.

Some of what looked like bends or creases looked like cover art on my tablet, I was lost and I'll suck it up lol

2 minutes ago, jcjames said:

I saw 3.0 and GA-bumped it to 4.0 based on the imaginary abrasions I thought I saw.

remember a 3.0 is an extremely ragged book.

Screenshot 2019-09-24 at 8.19.00 PM.png

The chipping on the top edge of the Wings is ULTRA COMMON. It's a bad example, for sure, but not a deal breaker like wear and tear. It was just a rotten blade that mangled the book when it was cut, and has remained that way for 70 years.

I graded it a 6.5...even dabbled with 7.0, because I know how lenient CGC is on chipping from dull blades.

But the Cap.... meh

They were pretty harsh. I would imagine, on a resub, you could get a 5,0 or even 5.5, depending on flaws that can't be seen. If all the interior pages are affected....that's probably the issue, which can't be seen in the scan.