• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How have label chasers affected the hobby

306 posts in this topic

because they are more plentiful than earlier SA and GS books... they were saved in greater numbers in generally better condition by more collectors, who by then were looking at them as collectible investments.

So why do you collect Silver Age then, when by definition, Golden Age collectors could say the exact same thing (and with much more relevance) about Silver Age books.

Well Joe, Im glad you asked.

I collect GA, SA and BA. Im a boomer so SA are MY books that I grew up with. I kept redaing through the BA so those are MY books too. And I collect DC GA too because they are the same characters as my SA.

I don't collect SA because they are scarcer than BA (as you seem to imply). They just ARE... Just as SA is more plentiful than GA. As the comics industry survived and thrived since 1938, it attracted new readers and collectors. And they all realized at some point that SAVING them was a neat idea. By the 60s some collectors remembered the GA and knew to save the SA books. I didnt right away... I was a kid. But by the late 60s I was buying an extra copy and taking better care of my comics. So were lots of guys here..

And (see where Im going here?) by the time your generation came along after mine, kids your age were added to the mix...along with MY generation and as many GA guys were still along for the ride. So - - by the late 70s, storing, accumulating and preserving comics was a big game, soon to be a big business. And therefore, BA is far more plentiful than SA. And as a SA guy, I lean more heavily to the SA over the BA.

Oh, and then there's the point that the comics business was reinventeds in the early 60s--- Marvel was created then... and that same surge of originality STILL rules the roost today, and of course, in your precious BA of Comics. SO the SA is the father of all (nearly) current comics storylines and is therefore highy relevant and sought after. and as a result, where the big money has gone.

got it bubby???

Recent 9.8 sales on FF are much lower than I've seen:

FF 59 9.8 $910 RNM

FF 149 9.8 $167.50

FF 171 9.8 $112.50

FF 186 9.8 $102.50

FF 191 9.8 $52

FF 191 9.8 $112.50

FF 192 9.8 $81.51

FF 234 9.8 RNM $0.99 (only bid)

FF 253 9.8 $21.50

FF 270 CGC 9.8 $11.50

and even this one, which I thought would go for MUCH higher than it ended - only 9.9 under 200 in the run (save Doug's sick 9.9 FF 55). FF 194 CGC 9.9 $411

Something is happening at the top end, especially in the FF market. I could be very wrong, and it could just be the summer and the slipping in the marketplace, but these prices just feel much lower than they've ever been. $52 for a 9.8 191?

Donut I think this has more to do with the amount of stuff that has been available online and its probably alittle slower in the summer months. I picked up top census copies of issues #200, 213 for $37 and $33 and I had a feeling these would fly under the radar and they did-I got lucky (holiday weekend). I had to pay $100 for issue #195 but was blown out the water on #243 ($103). There is just so much good new HG BA stuff coming out I've had to sell some of my SA stuff to keep up. High grade FF's from 180-220 are still realtively new to the market and the census as are Layton Iron Man's but I still think these will have tremendous interest in the near future. I willing to bet that come January and next spring we will be hard pressed to find these for $35 a pop. I also feel that pressing is in the back of every one's mind when they see these new SA 9.8's poping up and it and makes people hesitate. Makes you wonder what you are really paying for?

1) Many people knew how to store and take care of their books by the BA (especially mid to late BA).

and by the late 70s there were products on the market to store comics. bags AND boards and soon after mylars appeared. Not that Burntboy needed them to store HIS sweet collection!

I don't collect SA because they are scarcer than BA (as you seem to imply).

Read your comments again. I am implying nothing, as you continually post about how much rarer SA is than BA.

If it's not important to you, then why keep up the act?

and by the late 70s there were products on the market to store comics. bags AND boards and soon after mylars appeared.

You guys are talking like this is some kind of news. Yes, Bronze Age is more plentiful than Silver, just as Gold is much rarer than Silver...

But what does this have to do with collecting? Just about anyone contemplating "CGC Slab Investment" is a few cards short of a full deck, but I just want to collect some of the comics from my youth, not put my kids through university.

So why should I care if there are warehouse stores of this stuff?

So why should I care if there are warehouse stores of this stuff?

Ah, NOW YOU GET IT!!!!

YOU SHOULDN"T CARE.

Which is EXACTLY why WE SHOULDN"T GIVE A RAT'S about your OPINION.

So stop trying to tell everyone what's going to happen, when you JUST ADMITTED that YOU DON'T CARE.

Your comments on these boards is pretty much worthless.

You really have no clue. Seriously.

I state that I collect for the LOVE of the hobby, not some bizarro, brain-dead moronic "slabbed investment strategy" screwy.gif related to available supply....

And you somehow, in your drunken stupor, start hammering the CAPS lock in an unintelligible rant, like some crack-addled teen. Good work! 893applaud-thumb.gif

P.S. You may think my comments are worthless, but at least other people can understand them. foreheadslap.gif

I state that I collect for the LOVE of the hobby, not some bizarro, brain-dead moronic "slabbed investment strategy" related to available supply....

I have much more of a clue then you. 893whatthe.gif

The fact that you collect for the LOVE of the HOBBY is a GREAT THING. 893applaud-thumb.gif

The fact that you don't collect for INVESTMENT / FINANCIAL REASONS is also GREAT THINGS. thumbsup2.gif

Which means that your comments / post should be about how cool a book is, or you like this story arc, or whatever and NOT about the INVESTMENT / FINANCIAL side of collecting comic books.

makepoint.gif

Which means that your comments / post should be about how cool a book is, or you like this story arc, or whatever and NOT about the INVESTMENT / FINANCIAL side of collecting comic books.

Good logic Einstein. 27_laughing.gif

I also DO NOT jump off bridges, inject heroin, light myself on fire, or play Russian Roulette, but I do know these activities are pure stupidity, and would tell people engaged in them exactly that.

You seem to think only those incredibly stupid enough to do things like this, should ever be allowed to comment on them. screwy.gif

I don't collect SA because they are scarcer than BA (as you seem to imply).

Read your comments again. I am implying nothing, as you continually post about how much rarer SA is than BA.

If it's not important to you, then why keep up the act?

you were implying that I collect SA mainly because they are scarcer than BA. I replied that that is not the primary reason. What am I missing here? Was it my syntax? That sentence you quoted could have been phrased " But the MAIN reason I collect SA is NOT due to their scarcity relative to BA as you seem to be suggesting with your question." Was it how I wrote the sentence that caused your reply above? You got me.

But since you dont care, then who cares?

I state that I collect for the LOVE of the hobby, not some bizarro, brain-dead moronic "slabbed investment strategy" screwy.gif related to available supply....

And you somehow, in your drunken stupor, start hammering the CAPS lock in an unintelligible rant, like some crack-addled teen. Good work! 893applaud-thumb.gif

P.S. You may think my comments are worthless, but at least other people can understand them. foreheadslap.gif

Joe. Why do you keep on using blanket statements like,

" not some bizarro, brain-dead moronic "slabbed investment strategy" screwy.gif related to available supply...."

If you have not had a go at this sort of thing or have been burnt in the past thats unfortunate however lots of people have probably done quite well out of this form of investment and all the best to those fortunate people.

Just because a certain way of life does not suit you it may be well suited and work for someone else.

Sure its risky if you only speculate without making an informed decision, what market isn't. Some people do this kind of thing for a living and I would think do quite well for themselves.

Regards,

Russ popcorn.gif

If you have not had a go at this sort of thing or have been burnt in the past thats unfortunate

This type of reply always comes up in these conversations, and you couldn't be more off-base.

I'm the guy selling his Valiants before the crash, the collector who owned exactly 3 Images comics total, the one who was buying Bronze in the mid-80's when everyone else was *investing* in Independents. Other than ASM 300 and X-Men 283 I have never really speculated on a comic book in my life, and even then it was at deep discount.

I also do not try to *invest* in comics, but virtually everything I've ever bought can be sold at a nice profit. That's because I only buy what I like, at a price that I can live with, and I never follow the fad trends.

So yes, some of my comments can be harsh, but don't try and paint me as some misbegotten speculator with longboxes of Spawn. foreheadslap.gif

If you have not had a go at this sort of thing or have been burnt in the past thats unfortunate

This type of reply always comes up in these conversations, and you couldn't be more off-base.

I'm the guy selling his Valiants before the crash, the collector who owned exactly 3 Images comics total, the one who was buying Bronze in the mid-80's when everyone else was *investing* in Independents. Other than ASM 300 and X-Men 283 I have never really speculated on a comic book in my life, and even then it was at deep discount.

I also do not try to *invest* in comics, but virtually everything I've ever bought can be sold at a nice profit. That's because I only buy what I like, at a price that I can live with, and I never follow the fad trends.

So yes, some of my comments can be harsh, but don't try and paint me as some misbegotten speculator with longboxes of Spawn. foreheadslap.gif

Jo.

I am not trying to paint you as anything. (You are doing a nice job all by yourself.)

I am saying that to call comic investors insufficiently_thoughtful_persons is off the mark.

Some people, including yourself have made money from selling comics and thats not idiotic, its nice that they can make a living out of something they enjoy.

If you have made money from comic sales whats so moronic about that.

And I never mentioned long boxes of spawn comics. I am talking about a nice mix of gold,silver & bronze comics that are inclined to have a long term steady growth pattern. not some overnight boom & bust fad.

There may be better investments & there may be worse but if you enjoy it & can make a dollar to put food on the table, I say congratulations.

Russ.

Some people, including yourself have made money from selling comics and thats not idiotic, its nice that they can make a living out of something they enjoy.

What does that have to do with investing in comics? Nothing.

That's being a DEALER, either full or part-time, and has nothing to do with investments. It's called menial W-O-R-K.

Investing is letting your money work for you.

That's being a DEALER, either full or part-time, and has nothing to do with investments. It's called menial W-O-R-K.

No, passive investing is letting your money work for you. When private equity funds, LBO funds and venture capital funds buy an interest in a company, and help to appoint the management of that company, and spend a lot of time guiding, managing and operating the company to get it in good shape so it can be sold or taken public, what is that called? That`s right, investing.

No, passive investing is letting your money work for you. When private equity funds, LBO funds and venture capital funds buy an interest in a company, and help to appoint the management of that company, and spend a lot of time guiding, managing and operating the company to get it in good shape so it can be sold or taken public, what is that called? That`s right, investing.

How dare you question the logic of JC makepoint.gif His wrathfull fury will will bring a pox on you! a pox I say! sumo.gifall hail the wisdom of JC hail.gif

You people are way out there.

A venture capitalist works at a real J-O-B, and puts in 18-hour days setting up this stuff. Same with a fund manager, who works at a J-O-B administering these funds.

If this is the J-O-B some on here have, then fine, but it's still far, far, far, far removed from conventional, cunsumer-level investing for 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of people on here, who hold other full-time J-O-B-S.

Here's a quick primer for those who may not understand the difference between your JOB and your INVESTMENTS:

Job: The principal activity in your life that you do to earn money.

Investment: Laying out money or capital with the expectation of profit.

See the difference? One involves expending personal activity and time, while the other revolves around expending money and capital.