• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7th Annual Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 8
3 3

359 posts in this topic

There is no skill involved in picking between 2.5 and 3.0. That's pure luck. The skill is getting to the range. Once you're in the range, it then becomes a matter of luck. There are very few grades which are "no brainer"...like missing a coupon cut that automatically turns any book into a .5. 

1 minute ago, sckao said:

I hope everyone remembers that @Azkaban was actually LAST YEAR'S CHAMPION and is valiantly defending his throne this year. :foryou:

Bah it's all luck.

Just now, Wolverinex said:

How about your 4 bullseyes?  

When people are doing good its skill city when they crash and burn it becomes a ll luck!!  :preach:

1 hour ago, thirdgreenham said:

You can't base your grades on a trend or previous examples here.  Each book should be graded on its own presentation.  

Well This is the first time I've ever graded a book so I thought it was a good idea to use previous examples. Just reading the description of certain grades tdid not jive with some of the gift grades you got! 

Well Now I know, & knowing is half the battle lol

Anyway ,This has been fun & educational for me! (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Welcome to the club my friend.  My brain was calculating all the GA bumps and Gift grades..

Exactly! There is not too much of a  rhyme or reason to this!

I suppose for these last rounds I will just guess what my first reaction is!

1 minute ago, comics4all said:

Well This is the first time I've ever graded a book so I thought it was a good idea to use previous examples. Just reading the description of certain grades tdid not jive with some of the gift grades you got! 

Well Now I know, & knowing is half the battle lol

Anyway ,This has been fun & educational for me! (thumbsu

I always recommend dont look at other books!  It will lead you astray!  Just rely on the knowledge you have acquired about grading.

2 minutes ago, comics4all said:
1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Welcome to the club my friend.  My brain was calculating all the GA bumps and Gift grades..

Exactly! There is not too much of a  rhyme or reason to this!

Good points. Sounds like there's a fair bit of luck involved, then....? Not entirely, of course...no one would say that...but some.

:D

I definitely guess every round. I don't even look at the back cover. I just look at when the comic was published, subtract 5.37 grades for each half century and then put a bunch of possible grades into a hat. Draw one blind, send a PM to @thirdgreenham and @sckao  and voila!  Voila.

Voila.

CGC seems to agree that this is a skill contest, as they have actually hired previous winners.  But what do they know??