• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOLY [embarrasing lack of self control]..ADVENTURE COMICS 72 CGC 9.8 ALREADY @ $37500

105 posts in this topic

CGC even removed the 9.6 from its census and replaced it with the 9.8 so there is no question it is the same book. Why? Why? Dear G-d, Why? 893whatthe.gif

Do they not see how this harms their reputation and credibility? Is it just me and Krazykat who believe this? popcorn.gif

gossip.gif No, I do not think it's just the two of you.

Had these books remained raw and grades shifted due to a change in who was doing the grading, there would probably be less investigation into why the grades had changed.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Nice try Mr CGC Apologist.

Here we have a MH copy of a key DC, graded initially CGC 9.6 by CGC. Then it was regraded CGC 9.8.. due to an X-Factor.

Do you REALLY believe that in the pre-CGC world, a collector would have paid a premium without CGC telling them it's a 9.6 or a 9.8? We're not talking a VF to a NM+ here bobo.

Do they not see how this harms their reputation and credibility? Is it just me and Krazykat who believe this? popcorn.gif

I believe you are correct.

Here's a newflash: CGC DOES NOT CARE.

The company does not need to care what some yahoo paid for a CGC comic, nor what another bozo paid him for a freshly pressed CGC upgrade.

The company makes money no matter what, and even if the house of cards does fall, there will always be opportunities for CGC to make money in other areas.

Of course, this type of behavior does have a limited lifespan, but I foresee CGC operating at a profit for another decade or two, at least until comics fade away as a mainstream collectible. Everyone at CGC likely realizes this, and understands the company will not be around in 50 years.

It's a finite opportunity to make some fast cash, and CGC will do whatever it takes to achieve that goal, just like any other US venture. I see no problem with that, but then again, I'm not investing long-term money into this stupidity. thumbsup2.gif

Do you REALLY believe that in the pre-CGC world, a collector would have paid a premium without CGC telling them it's a 9.6 or a 9.8? We're not talking a VF to a NM+ here bobo.

Um, yeah. screwy.gif High premiums were paid for books in the pre-CGC era that met even one of the following criteria:

1) High grade gold

2) Church copy

3) key book

So here's all three. And you're saying that we need CGC to tell us it's a 9.6 or a 9.8 in order to pay a premium? And that nobody was doing that before? If you really believe that, I'd venture to suggest that you never tried to buy any books in the pre-CGC era that met with the criteria I just listed.

And don't come down on Rj. sumo.gif

Ok - Let's pretend we didn't know the CGC grade. What would you grade it?

Take a close look at the left corners.... Christo_pull_hair.gif

With the GA bump.......maybe 9.0, is that a piece of the book in the slab confused-smiley-013.gif Who ever buys the book buys the label. One way overgraded book for sale sumo.gif

Does anyone have a before pic,when it was a 9.6? Good way to see if it was indeed pressed... and if by pressing compromised the integrity of the book.

With the GA bump.......maybe 9.0, is that a piece of the book in the slab confused-smiley-013.gif Who ever buys the book buys the label. One way overgraded book for sale sumo.gif

Does anyone have a before pic,when it was a 9.6? Good way to see if it was indeed pressed... and if by pressing compromised the integrity of the book.

So you can tell if a book has been pressed by a scan? 27_laughing.gif

Please share with us how to do this.

One solution to at least an aspect of the pressing problem is not to reward the pressers.

Except that CGC and a significant number of collectors don't believe that pressing is a problem. Couple that with the fact that the anti-pressing crowd have not significantly changed their buying habits, and it's easy to see why pressing continues.

I can practically hear your response to this post, Mark. "Give it time, Jeff." That I will, but I just don't think enough people are concerned enough about pressing, AND willing to change their buying habits as a result of their belief, to initiate any kind of change.

So you can tell if a book has been pressed by a scan? 27_laughing.gif

Please share with us how to do this.

Give me a full size pic of the 9.6...if the corners have been damaged as I believe they have...then It's more likely from a press job.Unless of course you believe the previous buyer damaged the book removing it from the slab..

Hey it's great to see I got a laugh out of someone this morning.... acclaim.gif

This is probably a dumb question, but how does anyone know when a book is from the Mile High collection?

many of the Church books have distinct arrivale date codes on the cover. There have been many articles about their meanings and locations etc... try a search. Many of the other top Pedigrees also have marks and telltale signs that identify them too.

PS youire not clueless, just learning stuff here too.

Those corners look like bindary damage to me, which would explain why CGC didn't downgrade for those defects.

I doubt the book has been pressed, but I do think it's overgraded. I have GA 9.4s that are signifcantly nicer than this book.

Here's another take on it. It comes in for grading, and different graders (or the same ones for that matter,) give it a higher grade on a different day. 9.6 to 9.8 is not much of a deviation in grade (although a high deviation in price realized). After it is graded, they compare it and it is higher. Should they single it out from all the other resubs. and lower the grade? That would be inconsistency. They need to treat all comics submitted in the same way.