• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scorsese slams MCU

221 posts in this topic

“Okay, boomer” works as a perfect reply to Grandpa Scorsese in this situation. 

Since his initial comments, it all seems to be symptomatic of being out of touch with the way things are nowadays with regards to the way the world consumes movies and media.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

“Okay, boomer” works as a perfect reply to Grandpa Scorsese in this situation. 

Since his initial comments, it all seems to be symptomatic of being out of touch with the way things are nowadays with regards to the way the world consumes movies and media.

“OK boomer” is an ignorant dismissive response which says something about the person. Even when the boomer in question is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I’m GenX by the way.
As far as MS, he was asked a question and gave his honest opinion and in turn triggered comic book fans. I guess we should hold our opinions to ourselves. 
My own opinion is that he’s correct. They are amusement park rides and there’s nothing wrong with that. I do see deeper comic book films with substance being made now so the trend could change eventually. But do we really want that? 

Edited by Oddball

1 minute ago, Oddball said:

“OK boomer” is an ignorant millennial dismissive response which says something about the person. Even when the boomer in question is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I’m GenX by the way.
As far as MS, he was asked a question and gave his honest opinion and in turn triggered comic book fans. I guess we should hold our opinions to ourselves. 
My own opinion is that he’s correct. They are amusement park rides and there’s nothing wrong with that. I do see deeper comic book films with substance being made now so the trend could change eventually.

Triggered and boomer are of the same lexicon.  

·          Playboy 1979 Interview with Marlon Brando

BRANDO: In your heart of hearts, you know perfectly well that movie stars aren’t artists.

playboy: but there are times when you can capture moments in a film or a play that are memorable, that have meaning—-

BRANDO: A prostitute can capture a moment! A prostitute can give you all kinds of wonderful excitement and inspiration and make you think that nirvana has arrived on the two-o'clock plane, and it ain’t necessarily so.

PLAYBOY: Do you consider any people in your profession artists?

BRANDO: No.

PLAYBOY: None at all?

BRANDO: Not one.

playboy: duse? bernhardt? olivier?

BRANDO: Shakespeare said… . Poor guy, he gets hauled out of the closet every few minutes, but since there’re so few people around, you always have to haul somebody out of the closet and say, “So-and-so said.” That’s like saying, “You once said.” [Laughs] But we know what he said. “There’s no art to find the mind’s construction in the face.” Which very plainly means that being able to discover the subtle qualities of the human mind by the expression of the face is an art, and there should be such an art. I don’t think he meant it seriously, that it should be established among the seven lively arts, to become the eighth: the reading of physiognomy. But you can call anything art. You can call a short-order cook an artist, because he really does that–back flips, over and under his legs, around his head, caroms 'em off the wall and catches them. I don’t know that you can exclude those things as art, except you know in your bones that they have nothing to do with art.

playboy: so you have never considered yourself an artist?

BRANDO: No, never, never. No. Kenneth Clark narrated a television program called Civilization. It was a remarkable series. It was erudite, communicative, polished, interesting to listen to. There was a man who knew who the artists of the world were. He didn’t talk about any paltry people that you and I might mention. He doesn’t know those people. He talked about great art. He certainly didn’t refer to the art of film.

playboy: but film is reflective of our art and culture. clark’s civilization covered a broad spectrum of history. maybe in 50 or 100 years, the next kenneth clark will include the art of film.

BRANDO: Why don’t you do an interview with Kenneth Clark and tell him that I want to know [laughs] if he considers Marlon Brando an artist?

playboy: assume he would say yes.

BRANDO: If Kenneth Clark said that I was an artist, I would immediately get him to a neurosurgeon.

playboy: now you’re ignoring the authority you’ve cited. if actors can’t be artists, could films be works of art? would you consider citizen kane a work of art?

BRANDO: I don’t think any movie is a work of art. I simply do not.

Just now, TupennyConan said:

BRANDO: In your heart of hearts, you know perfectly well that movie stars aren’t artists.

playboy: but there are times when you can capture moments in a film or a play that are memorable, that have meaning—-

BRANDO: A prostitute can capture a moment! A prostitute can give you all kinds of wonderful excitement and inspiration and make you think that nirvana has arrived on the two-o'clock plane, and it ain’t necessarily so.

BRANDO: Shakespeare said… . Poor guy, he gets hauled out of the closet every few minutes, but since there’re so few people around, you always have to haul somebody out of the closet and say, “So-and-so said.” That’s like saying, “You once said.” [Laughs] But we know what he said. “There’s no art to find the mind’s construction in the face.” Which very plainly means that being able to discover the subtle qualities of the human mind by the expression of the face is an art, and there should be such an art. I don’t think he meant it seriously, that it should be established among the seven lively arts, to become the eighth: the reading of physiognomy. But you can call anything art. You can call a short-order cook an artist, because he really does that–back flips, over and under his legs, around his head, caroms 'em off the wall and catches them. I don’t know that you can exclude those things as art, except you know in your bones that they have nothing to do with art.

BRANDO: No, never, never. No. Kenneth Clark narrated a television program called Civilization. It was a remarkable series. It was erudite, communicative, polished, interesting to listen to. There was a man who knew who the artists of the world were. He didn’t talk about any paltry people that you and I might mention. He doesn’t know those people. He talked about great art. He certainly didn’t refer to the art of film.

playboy: but film is reflective of our art and culture. clark’s civilization covered a broad spectrum of history. maybe in 50 or 100 years, the next kenneth clark will include the art of film.

BRANDO: Why don’t you do an interview with Kenneth Clark and tell him that I want to know [laughs] if he considers Marlon Brando an artist?

BRANDO: If Kenneth Clark said that I was an artist, I would immediately get him to a neurosurgeon.

playboy: now you’re ignoring the authority you’ve cited. if actors can’t be artists, could films be works of art? would you consider citizen kane a work of art?

Another example of an actor expressing his opinion. Nothing wrong with that at all. We all just need to live and let live.

2 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

The best movies are Marvel movies. 

If one wishes for art, try something else.  

The best movies are whatever is best for you. I love Marvel movies but none would make my top ten or even twenty list of favorite films.

Just now, Oddball said:

The best movies are whatever is best for you. I love Marvel movies but none would make my top ten or even twenty list of favorite films.

I'm sorry you love 20 movies so much. 

Movies are good because:

1. They are a commonly shared cultural experience with others [eg dates, message board conversations, trivia nights, &c.];

2. They feature pretty people, pretty shots, special effects, technical qualities;

3. Soundtracks;

4. They're good for napping.   

Edited by TupennyConan
articles

10 hours ago, TupennyConan said:

Brando is the best, but he's also the guy that suggested to Richard Donner that Kryptonians should look like bagels in the first Superman movie, and insisted he dress as a porpoise in the 1996 version of Dr. Moreau.

Edited by Larryw7

7 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Brando is the best, but he's also the guy that suggested to Richard Donner that Kryptonians should look like bagels in the first Superman movie, and insisted he dress as a porpoise in the 1996 version of Dr. Moreau.

He was once great, but he always struggled with overindulgence.  Particularly with eating, but it spilled over into most of his life including his ability to maintain concentration and stay rational.  You'd do just as well searching for meaning in most things he said after 1965 as you would searching for it in the random patterning of clouds.

13 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

13 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

He was still in his Colonel Kurtz mindset ... he was hungry 

the MCU myopia in this thread is wonderful to behold- overlooking the embarrassingly bad: AoU, Thor Dark World, IM2, IM3; the not even worth bothering Hulk and the instantly forgettable: AM, AM2, Thor, GOTG2 & CM. Apologies if i've left any out.

Edited by paperheart