• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,038 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2022 at 9:01 PM, George Brent said:
On 5/11/2022 at 8:29 PM, divad said:

:deadhorse: Because you think some scuzz-ball comic shop (insert comic book fat guy from The Simpsons here) was a better environment than a newsstand, pharmacy, drug store, quick-stop shop, family market or bookstore? This is a myth created and exploited by comic stores, distributors, and resellers,

13CBG.jpeg

Expand  

You bring up a very good point here, so, having frequented lots of comic shops and pharmacies/drug-stores/supermarkets/etc. in several states in the late 80s and through the 90s, yep, I can say with certainty that, indeed, copies were handled much more carefully in comic shops. 

You do know the difference between fact and confabulation? hm

On 5/11/2022 at 10:29 PM, divad said:

:deadhorse: Because you think some scuzz-ball comic shop (insert comic book fat guy from The Simpsons here) was a better environment than a newsstand, pharmacy, drug store, quick-stop shop, family market or bookstore? This is a myth created and exploited by comic stores, distributors, and resellers,

13CBG.jpeg

Except it isn't a myth. Comic shop owners in general care about the quality of their stock being maintained, owners where newsstands were sold couldn't care less, it's nothing more than cheap, disposable entertainment for kids. Same thing on the buying side - customers, or browsers, in a comic shop are going to treat the stock better on average than the clientele at a newsstand. And then compare how the stock is typically displayed at a comic shop to a newsstand - comic boxes and shelves dedicated to comics, (sometimes even bagged and boarded!) vs spinner racks and stadium shelves where people bend the top half of the book forward to look at the issues behind it. 

On 5/12/2022 at 9:28 PM, darkstar said:

Except it isn't a myth. Comic shop owners in general care about the quality of their stock being maintained, owners where newsstands were sold couldn't care less, it's nothing more than cheap, disposable entertainment for kids. Same thing on the buying side - customers, or browsers, in a comic shop are going to treat the stock better on average than the clientele at a newsstand. And then compare how the stock is typically displayed at a comic shop to a newsstand - comic boxes and shelves dedicated to comics, (sometimes even bagged and boarded!) vs spinner racks and stadium shelves where people bend the top half of the book forward to look at the issues behind it. 

Just some anecdotal evidence from one person's experience, but I remember as a kid having $3-4 in my pocket, walking into the local drug store and carelessly flipping through books for what seemed like forever, then grabbing a book or two, or maybe some baseball cards, along with some Lik-m-Aid or Tangy Taffy before going back to my buddy's house to goof off. But on the rare occasion we'd get to go to the city and go to a real comic shop, it was like Mecca. We'd be so respectful and responsible and treat the books like rare artifacts.

On 5/12/2022 at 7:28 PM, darkstar said:

After 108 pages of HG newsies, and you still think it isn't a myth? :preach:

On 5/13/2022 at 1:03 AM, divad said:

After 108 pages of HG newsies, and you still think it isn't a myth? :preach:

This isn't much of a counterpoint to what I wrote above. 

Most of the books posted in here are not modern high grade - the majority of the books are mid grade drek from the past 30 years. 

On 5/13/2022 at 3:58 AM, darkstar said:

This isn't much of a counterpoint to what I wrote above. 

Most of the books posted in here are not modern high grade - the majority of the books are mid grade drek from the past 30 years. 

Show us your Modern Newsies!

Started by mr_highgrade, October 15, 2019

On 5/13/2022 at 3:58 AM, darkstar said:

To Arms! Fetch the pitchforks!!!:slapfight:

On 5/13/2022 at 12:30 PM, Morganmi said:

20220513_123907.jpg

I'm pretty sure this isn't a newsstand.  There are only 12 numbers in the barcode, all at the bottom.

As far as I know, Dynamite (a.k.a. The Franklin Mint of comics) has never had any kind of newsstand distribution, and the format of the barcode doesn't have the right-side section with numbers at the top (two or five numbers above the code, after the twelve numbers on the left).

ns_v_de_right.png

Dynamite has no numbers on the right (in the Army of Darkness photo above), which is how comic bags are barcoded instead of the comics inside.

comicbags.jpg.370b8f4162796c79e5263c27b71b7b98.jpg

Edited by valiantman

On 5/16/2022 at 11:24 AM, valiantman said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't a newsstand.  There are only 12 numbers in the barcode, all at the bottom.

As far as I know, Dynamite (a.k.a. The Franklin Mint of comics) has never had any kind of newsstand distribution, and the format of the barcode doesn't have the right-side section with numbers at the top (two or five numbers above the code, after the twelve numbers on the left).

ns_v_de_right.png

Dynamite has no numbers on the right (in the Army of Darkness photo above), which is how comic bags are barcoded instead of the comics inside.

comicbags.jpg.370b8f4162796c79e5263c27b71b7b98.jpg

I think your right. I got fooled on that. It's a Red Chromium Titled one and they all have that bar code.