• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,036 posts in this topic

On 5/28/2022 at 10:04 PM, F For Fake said:

You know, I’ve never found much on the website, most of the stuff on there has been overpriced in my estimation. My local HPB has pretty much dried up. Word finally got out a couple of years ago and there’s a lot more competition. It was a really good time 10-15 years ago!

Yes, mine had Vader 3, estimated at vg online for $150. I wasnt sure if it was a liberty in description or price lol

Also, since I saw it online I went to the store, nothing I saw online was out to look closely at, so idk sigh lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/29/2022 at 12:05 AM, BuraddoRun said:

@ADAMANTIUM@F For Fake, There's definitely a lot more competition at HPB these days, but my local store has its influxes of new stock. They've been pumping out a lot of grab bags lately as well, which can sometimes have treasures hidden inside. Regardless, it's always a fun hunt to dig through their stuff. Some of my recent big hits (in general, not necessarily Newsstand) were a West Coast Avengers 45 I found in one of their grab bags while WandaVision was airing, an NYX 3 I got for half off cover price, and an Amazing Spider-Man 101 that was in their collector case for $5! Granted, none of these were NM, and ASM 101 had a detached cover (not split, just pulled through the staples), but all books were complete and definitely great deals!

HPB is honestly one of my favorite places to hunt.

*Edit: Oh, and I've found ASM 361-363 as well for half of cover price.

More competition for sure, and some very specific competition in my case. I used to sell to a local guy who caught on to HPB, but the thing is he works right around the corner from the store. So, he is over there on his lunch every single day. By the time I’d get there after working half a world away, he would have scooped up anything remotely worth buying.

When it first opened up nearly 20 years ago, man, what a honey hole!

Hello, I bought a collection of about 700 comics this weekend and this was amongst them. I just don’t know if it’s the facsimile edition or not. It’s still sealed in the poly bag, so I’d hate to open to find out. Can you tell from the cover alone?? The only difference I’ve seen so far is the facsimiles don’t say Direct Edition by the bar code. Can anyone help?? Thanks. 

9A3F99A8-1508-49FC-A3ED-3F74682DA166.jpeg

On 5/29/2022 at 12:57 PM, GMcGurty said:

Hello, I bought a collection of about 700 comics this weekend and this was amongst them. I just don’t know if it’s the facsimile edition or not. It’s still sealed in the poly bag, so I’d hate to open to find out. Can you tell from the cover alone?? The only difference I’ve seen so far is the facsimiles don’t say Direct Edition by the bar code. Can anyone help?? Thanks. 

9A3F99A8-1508-49FC-A3ED-3F74682DA166.jpeg

It's a 1st print because the Marvel block is black and the numbers match, as well the face is hidden and the price box is not near the edge (thumbsu

IF you have it slabbed, be sure to have it pressed, as the polybag when sealed gives it an indention all down the back cover. No press would equal 9.0 at best, so DO PRESS IT ^^

On 5/29/2022 at 11:04 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's a 1st print because the Marvel block is black and the numbers match, as well the face is hidden and the price box is not near the edge (thumbsu

IF you have it slabbed, be sure to have it pressed, as the polybag when sealed gives it an indention all down the back cover. No press would equal 9.0 at best, so DO PRESS IT ^^

I still have my original copy I got on the shelves back in 2011 sealed in the bag. True certified unread condition! 

On 6/3/2022 at 4:15 AM, Beastfeast said:

First find of this particular book and I'm not familiar with the sticker on the back.  Did the distributor always sticker the back of newsstands, too?  

VXEYjob.jpg

qb0hGBN.jpg

Not always  --but, judging by the $6.70 Canadian price listed on the front sticker, it's almost certain you'll see a newsstand barcode if you remove the back sticker.  

On 6/3/2022 at 7:45 PM, Beastfeast said:

I guess I should ask this: How do you even value the Spawn 133?  I'm not seeing a sale in this grade, ever.  

GPA although I definitely would ask higher being a newsstand. 

Spoiler

20220603_195141.jpg.1934c81260667422d98125b43734a5df.jpg

On 6/4/2022 at 3:45 AM, Beastfeast said:

I guess I should ask this: How do you even value the Spawn 133?  I'm not seeing a sale in this grade, ever.  

Newsstand Spawn's in the 130's have gone for ~$80-100 in the VF-ish range on eBay, I would not sell this 9.8 #133 for less than $350 or so.   

On 6/3/2022 at 7:45 PM, Beastfeast said:

If someone is putting a run then you’ll do well 

I’d honestly start high and take offers 

look at the prices on 132 and 134 or other issues 

I think $350 is too low if you ask me