• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,038 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2022 at 4:07 PM, jsilverjanet said:

when it comes to newsstands, i do feel like the independent (non Archie/kids) books are harder to find than the books from the main two (excluding the final years)

I think it might be regional or from the whims of the ordering manager at a particular location.  The little corner convenient store where I bought all my comics as a kid had a surprisingly large selection of Dark Horse and Image - at least from my memory.  Same for Books-A-Million around the time this would have been out.  

On 7/14/2022 at 3:14 PM, Beastfeast said:

I think it might be regional or from the whims of the ordering manager at a particular location.  The little corner convenient store where I bought all my comics as a kid had a surprisingly large selection of Dark Horse and Image - at least from my memory.  Same for Books-A-Million around the time this would have been out.  

that's always possible as regions do impact perceived scarcity in other books/titles

Latest pick-ups. Unfortunately, the HTTE #1 has a marred cover. I didn't notice when I bought it and now think I overpaid ($200). I'm tempted to send it back because it was described as "NM", which it isn't with what looks like a price sticker removal that grabbed ink off the paper also.

HTTE.jpg

Edited by paqart

These are close-ups of the damage on the Heir to the Empire cover. Looks to me like one of 2 things: 1) Paper torn up during sticker removal by razor blade, or 2) Glue left behind after sticker removal by razor blade. I prefer the latter because then there would be hope of revealing color behind the glue but it looks more like color removed to me. Hard to tell. Opinions?

CF071134 2.jpg

CF071134 1.jpg

CF071134.jpg

On 7/15/2022 at 11:14 AM, paqart said:

These are close-ups of the damage on the Heir to the Empire cover. Looks to me like one of 2 things: 1) Paper torn up during sticker removal by razor blade, or 2) Glue left behind after sticker removal by razor blade. I prefer the latter because then there would be hope of revealing color behind the glue but it looks more like color removed to me. Hard to tell. Opinions?

CF071134 2.jpg

CF071134 1.jpg

CF071134.jpg

Whatever it is, for $200 send it back.

Strange, I can reply to the thread but not to individual posts. Also, it looks like the obnoxious overlord of CGC moderation has given me enough warning points to kill my membership. If so, he must be reacting to a month's old since-deleted post because I haven't been very active lately. It's too much effort to deal with his inconsistent moderation so I think this is goodbye. Have fun collecting! If I remember to deal with it in 2023 when my account becomes active again, I'll delete this account. Until then, it can't be done. Interesting how much CGC values comic book creators and collectors. For what it's worth, I've cancelled my CGC account as of a few months ago, specifically because of inconsistent moderation here. 

On 7/16/2022 at 3:29 PM, mrwoogieman said:

Picked through a box of Star Wars comics at a garage sale and grabbed whatever newsies were there. 

C2618870-2EB3-4282-9316-5B8B1FBB6A89.jpeg

FD2D044E-AEBE-48D3-A01A-10A5A0A2C2A1.jpeg

CE768AE5-8E4C-45F8-9861-082F29E83D19.jpeg

BCFE4E38-7E0F-4F12-A018-943B2F608E13.jpeg

D1B79925-374A-4785-9CDD-63B124A632F5.jpeg

I'm not familiar enough with the star wars series to pick out "keys" from the series lol

But picking out the Newsstands sounds like an easier way to determine lol

:takeit:

On 7/16/2022 at 3:08 PM, paqart said:

Strange, I can reply to the thread but not to individual posts. Also, it looks like the obnoxious overlord of CGC moderation has given me enough warning points to kill my membership. If so, he must be reacting to a month's old since-deleted post because I haven't been very active lately. It's too much effort to deal with his inconsistent moderation so I think this is goodbye. Have fun collecting! If I remember to deal with it in 2023 when my account becomes active again, I'll delete this account. Until then, it can't be done. Interesting how much CGC values comic book creators and collectors. For what it's worth, I've cancelled my CGC account as of a few months ago, specifically because of inconsistent moderation here. 

I’ve found if you stick to talking and commenting on comics the moderation never comes into play. 

On 7/16/2022 at 5:30 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm not familiar enough with the star wars series to pick out "keys" from the series lol

But picking out the Newsstands sounds like an easier way to determine lol

:takeit:

I'm totally clueless! I may have left all of the fruit on the vine just due to ignorance. Can't know it all I guess. 

On 7/16/2022 at 6:07 PM, manetteska said:

I’ve found if you stick to talking and commenting on comics the moderation never comes into play. 

Now all of a sudden I can comment again. I wonder why I couldn't earlier today? I saw something from CGCMike this morning but it looked like he was reacting to a months-old post he'd already seen. Maybe he was considering banning me (again, for the same content) and then changed his mind?

As for talking about comics, that's generally what I do. I got into trouble when I commented on a thread about censoring Spiegelman's Maus. I pointed out that Maus is far from the only comic that has had to deal with censorship and that current editorial trends amount to pre-censorship. I doubt I said it exactly like that but that was my point. While I was at it, I put in a plug for a comic I'd just finished, an anthology, that included work by Michael Golden, Graham Nolan, Chuck Dixon, Mike Baron, Dave Williams, Larry Stroman, and others. So far, I'm talking about comics. Then someone said some nasty and untrue things about Dixon, who I know personally, so I corrected him. After that, a number of people started sending abuse in my direction and I did my best to deflect it. At that point, the "comics" portion of the conversation had effectively been diverted by the people who wanted to say untrue pejorative things about Dixon. The next thing I knew, I had warning points.

I decided to delete my posts on the basis that if the boardies couldn't handle the information, I shouldn't abuse their delicate sensibilities by inflicting it on them. However, I couldn't delete them. So, I did the next best thing, I erased the content and replaced it with the text "Randomly deleted content". That was because I had to have at least 10 characters to change the post and save. Anyway, that got me a lot more warning points and that was what CGCMike was reacting to today, though this all happened some time ago.

It is also why I stopped interacting on CGC at the same frequency as I had previously. Frankly, the entire episode was undignified and unpleasant. I was so disappointed that I wrote an article about censorship and suppression in social media for an online publication I sometimes write for. I did mention CGC as a tiny example of a larger problem seen more widely on better-known sites. Apparently, some of the people on the site were fantasizing about what I might have said about CGC. It's behind a paywall, so they had no idea what I'd written. Most of the article is about social media, not CGC. This is the section most relevant to CGC:

"After completing my first comic after a 20 year absence from the industry, “Giant-Size Manly Tales”, I mentioned it in a forum maintained by the Certified Guarantee Company (CGC), a collectibles grading service.

I shouldn’t have been surprised by the hysterical reaction I got, but I was. The woke people who responded hated the idea of any comic that had the word “Manly” in it, as well as any comic book creator (myself) who would willingly work with Chuck Dixon, who happens to be a very talented writer. A short exchange ensued, and I was temp-banned from posting. A little later, I spotted a long thread about censorship of Art Spiegelman’s Holocaust graphic novel, Maus. I mentioned that other comics are getting censored also. Next thing I knew, I was temp-banned again and had more warning points added to my file.

What it came down to is that people could talk about censorship in comics as long as they didn’t mention censorship of conservative voices. They could talk about politics, as long as they didn’t say anything nice about conservative politicians. Under no circumstances could the idea of election fraud or the fake pandemic be mentioned. The most recent example of “political discussion” that was initially allowed (for 29 pages) and then shut down after some conservatives entered the conversation (for discussing politics) had to do with Elon Musk’s purchase of Twitter. As long as Elon was bashed for his attempt to buy Twitter, there was no problem. The moderator there clearly doesn’t use the same definition of the word “political” that I do, or the thread itself wouldn’t have been allowed to get past the first post."

From there I make the point that broad censorship and suppression of certain ideas can be very harmful if the suppressed information is critical to understanding dangers to society, or details of otherwise unknown criminal activity. It makes sense that companies would worry about litigation or reputation in such fraught circumstances but they shouldn't put themselves in the position of assisting bad guys cover up crimes, which is what appears to be happening on a broad scale in America right now. 

The idea that politics can't be discussed is nice but if a politically-themed thread about comics (Maus) or another about something unrelated (Elon Musk) is allowed for dozens of pages, it is inconsistent to ban people replying to posts in the thread but not ban whoever started the thread and all the other people posting in it.

From my point of view, I am far more interested in newsstand comics, Carl Barks, and Frazetta's Famous Funnies covers than these other issues but I don't like seeing falsehoods about someone I know go unanswered. Speaking of which, those remarks, which I consider defamatory, apparently don't violate CGC's moderation policy. The fact that the comments concern a prominent comic book creator who has written more comics than any person in the history of comics should give us pause. If someone like that can't be discussed on a comic book forum, it makes one wonder what can be discussed.

On 7/16/2022 at 8:41 PM, mrwoogieman said:

I'm totally clueless! I may have left all of the fruit on the vine just due to ignorance. Can't know it all I guess. 

I would have been in the same boat pretty much 🤣 no harm no foul