• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OF's Chicago Con report...

60 posts in this topic

I thought I would do a con report on a day to day basis, so here is my first instalment.

I left for preview night a bit early and arrived about 20 minutes before the doors opened. My badge had been mailed to me, so I just picked up the gift bag and headed straight for the line. I had expected more people to be waiting, but only a few hundered had arrived before me. I got the impression that most people did not buy the full 4-day package. I was stuck in front of a small gaggle of rotund fanboys who were going to wait in line for Alex Ross to sign books. Personally, I was only looking for books. The line doubled in size in about 15 minutes and the staff let us in at 5:00 sharp.

I wandered in and started looking at tables at random, searching mostly for a handful of Wrightson and Adams bronze issues, as well as horror mags. I was disappointed at the offering at the first few booths, so I headed over to Metro to pick up the copy of Detective 405 I had requested they bring along. They were still setting up, but there were plenty of books to drool over. Vincent was working the table and I introduced myself. Seemed like a nice guy. I would say the Tec is a solid 9.0, they had it at 9.2.

tec405.jpg

I continued my wanderings and picked up a Detective 411. I talked the dealer down to a measly $20. cloud9.gif A nice price considering how hot that particular issue is. In general Adams bronze Batman issues were all over the board. I found two nice copies of Detective 402, which was the book I was really looking for, but they were both around 8.0 and priced at 150% guide, so I passed.

tec411.jpg

Next, I ended up looking through the Don Rosa collection, which had been pretty well picked over since San Diego. mad.gif All was not lost though, since the girl working the booth was hot and friendly, and I picked up the Tec 402 I was looking for. Hardly a high grade copy, but it was the best I could do without spending a stupid amount. I got excited when she told me they had brought along a box that hadn't been to SD, but, alas, I didn't find anything I wanted.

After that, I stopped by Basement Comics. They had a copy of Black Cat 50 that was pretty amazing, but obviously out of my price range. I did pick up a few nice 100 pagers at a bit off guide though.

tec444.jpg

batman257.jpg

Generally I like to hit up the smaller booths at cons, as I tend to get the better deals there, but at one large table (I can't remember the name) I managed to find the steal of the night. I picked up HOM 226 in solid 9.2/9.4 and HOM 227 in 9.0 for $20 each. screwy.gif Not sure who was pricing these, but I almost felt bad buying them at that price. ALMOST. grin.gif These two books really made preview night for me. I am especially happy with the 226. What a great cover.

hom226.jpg

HOM227.jpg

I checked out Superworld and Harley Yee, but I was running short on time and I didn't get to look long. Harley's pricing did seem aggressive though. No surprise there.

I ended up leaving the the con a bit before closing at 8:00 since I had to get downtown to see punk band extrodinare, The Queers, play the Bottom Lounge. I got to hear such modern day classics as "Ursula Finally Has Tits", "My Old Man's a Fatso", "I was a Teenage Bonehead" and, my personal favorite, "Kicked out of the Webelos". 27_laughing.gif

All in all a great night. Can't wait til tomorrow and the lunch & dinner on Saturday night. thumbsup2.gif

Here are a few more random buys, some cool mags I got for a song and dance...

psycho.jpg

mu.jpg

By the way, if anyone going to the con comes across HOM 179 in 7.0+, Psycho 3 in 8.0+ or Web of Horror 3 in 7.0+, please let me know.

thumbsup2.gif Congrats on some sweet pickups OF!

Just remember to pace yourself, the rest of the Con is

still ahead of you popcorn.gif

Joker--

I keep a strict budget by leaving most of my money at home along with my ATM card. sumo.gif

Great Pick-Ups: thumbsup2.gif

I really miss the days when I could go to a con and buy some really cool books and not so much worry "is this book a 8.5 or 9.0".

I have to admit that obviously I'm a big fan of CGC (especially from a liquidy and "you get what you pay for" point of view), but it does diminish the thrill of purchasing books somewhat. frown.gif

I'm seriously considering that the next time I go to a con, that I bring $200 in cash that HAS to be spent only on ungraded books that have GREAT EYE APPEAL, but not the type of issues that would even be worth getting CGC'd. cloud9.gif

Next, I ended up looking through the Don Rosa collection, which had been pretty well picked over since San Diego. mad.gif All was not lost though, since the girl working the booth was hot and friendly, and I picked up the Tec 402 I was looking for. Hardly a high grade copy, but it was the best I could do without spending a stupid amount. I got excited when she told me they had brought along a box that hadn't been to SD, but, alas, I didn't find anything I wanted.

you found a hot chick at a Con, and couldn't get us a picture? what kind of man are you? what kind, i say!

thanks for the report. looking forward to more, albeit with more pictures of hot chicks, provided you can find any