• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Profiles in History Dec 2019
2 2

364 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Lest we forget... It's a wrap cover. So you need dead area on the top back for copy. Purely a mechanical concern.

that's fair.   I actually didn't even realize it was a cover TBH.   I thought the frankenstein stuff was all single plates.   The layout does make a lot more sense in that context because then we are really only looking at the right half and all the extraneous stuff on the left half just pretties up the back cover.   

Edited by Bronty

On 11/5/2019 at 8:14 AM, Bronty said:

wow look at all that lab equipment that doctor must be insane

And yet, that's exactly what I thought when I first saw it. And I'm pretty sure that's what Bernie was going for here.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:14 AM, Bronty said:

I literally didn’t notice the third body in the picture until today because of what I would term visual distractions

You're not supposed to notice it right away. :foryou:

15 hours ago, comix4fun said:

It doesn't fail because science says someone standing there can only focus on a few items at a time. It doesn't fail at all. 

It's created to set the scene in complete detail, not too much detail, just exact detail. It's perfection. 

And just when I thought we'd get through one of these without any logical fallacies...our old friend the False Dilemma (Choice) is back again. Some folks just never learn. Or prefer to cheat ;)

This isn't a pass/fail class... lol , it's a world of grays.

image.png.97569a64997de1be5d3234f6313a3978.png

11 hours ago, jaykza said:

Instead of hating alll you need to say is "I can never afford it so I feel less of a human being." lmao

Oh cripes...another fallacy...our old dear friend, ad hominem...utter chaos reigns!

This one is especially lollollol as at least three of the four recently active folks on this subject can presently afford the top end of the estimate and likely more. Not that you know any of us (since I'm one of the three) or have access to our financials, making the foundation of your guess the best of them all...projection :)

Now then, here's the full list for the ignorant or forgetful. How many more can we hit in one thread?

20 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

And yet, that's exactly what I thought when I first saw it. And I'm pretty sure that's what Bernie was going for here.

You're not supposed to notice it right away. :foryou:

meh

1 hour ago, vodou said:

And just when I thought we'd get through one of these without any logical fallacies...our old friend the False Dilemma (Choice) is back again. Some folks just never learn. Or prefer to cheat ;)

This isn't a pass/fail class... lol , it's a world of grays.

image.png.97569a64997de1be5d3234f6313a3978.png

Oh cripes...another fallacy...our old dear friend, ad hominem...utter chaos reigns!

This one is especially lollollol as at least three of the four recently active folks on this subject can presently afford the top end of the estimate and likely more. Not that you know any of us (since I'm one of the three) or have access to our financials, making the foundation of your guess the best of them all...projection :)

Now then, here's the full list for the ignorant or forgetful. How many more can we hit in one thread?

Psst, I don't think he was being that literal... I detect healthy doses of "tongue-in-cheek" throughout this thread.  Fairly certain that maaany OA boardies could actually afford the piece, and that most of us on here realize this.  Whether or not death by family would follow is a highly relevant + appurtenant matter. lol

9 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Yup, was being tongue-in-cheek myself.  Love or hate, though, us humble nobodies have elevated him well beyond Big John.  Take that, typical Buscema tropes!

I’m surprised actually at how little John is thought of in some circles here, Romita too. I guess all fun and games aside this is all purely subjective with no absolute right or wrong on who was great, average, or sucked. Camps of opinion is all we get. Hell I’ve had to rethink my stance on Frank Robbins after reading some posts here. 

30 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Psst, I don't think he was being that literal... I detect healthy doses of "tongue-in-cheek" throughout this thread.  Fairly certain that maaany OA boardies could actually afford the piece, and that most of us on here realize this.  Whether or not death by family would follow is a highly relevant + appurtenant matter. lol

You're spot on here, but noticing something as "tongue-in-cheek" can be lost in translation on the road to self-aggrandizement, and personal axes to grind. 

12 minutes ago, vodou said:

Up or down? I love Robbins and have for fifteen years. Prior to that: hate lol

Up, I’m actually a bit of a fan now. Seeing the caniff influence really showed me how intentional his sense of design and action was. 

11 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

You're spot on here, but noticing something as "tongue-in-cheek" can be lost in translation on the road to self-aggrandizement, and personal axes to grind. 

Takes one to (guess that they) know one...sunshine ;) (and still be wrong...all day long :) )

1 hour ago, exitmusicblue said:

Fairly certain that maaany OA boardies could actually afford the piece, and that most of us on here realize this. 

Just having an art collection, net worth and/or credit line totaling as much or greater than the pre-sale estimate I don't think automatically qualifies someone as being able to afford this piece.  It's more than just about having the money (on paper); it's about being willing and able to write a check for that amount and living comfortably with that decision (without your spouse leaving you, without your kids now requiring athletic scholarships to afford college, without having to eat ramen noodles and canned pork and beans for the next 25 years, etc.)  If someone's very favorite piece of art in this FMV range (not a bargain deal at below FMV, for which anybody would try to scramble the funds to buy it) was available and that person wasn't willing to go for it...then I don't consider them to really be able to afford it. 

I mean, frankly, even if this was my favorite piece of comic art in the whole wide world, I don't think I could wrap my head around spending what it would take to get it given my other interests, responsibilities and priorities.  And, so, hence, you can cross me off the list of people who can, more than just theoretically, really afford this piece.  Unless I win the Powerball before December, and then all bets are off. :D   

Edited by delekkerste

48 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Just having an art collection, net worth and/or credit line totaling as much or greater than the pre-sale estimate I don't think automatically qualifies someone as being able to afford this piece.  It's more than just about having the money (on paper); it's about being willing and able to write a check for that amount and living comfortably with that decision (without your spouse leaving you, without your kids now requiring athletic scholarships to afford college, without having to eat ramen noodles and canned pork and beans for the next 25 years, etc.)  If someone's very favorite piece of art in this FMV range (not a bargain deal at below FMV, for which anybody would try to scramble the funds to buy it) was available and that person wasn't willing to go for it...then I don't consider them to really be able to afford it. 

I mean, frankly, even if this was my favorite piece of comic art in the whole wide world, I don't think I could wrap my head around spending what it would take to get it given my other interests, responsibilities and priorities.  And, so, hence, you can cross me off the list of people who can, more than just theoretically, really afford this piece.  Unless I win the Powerball before December, and then all bets are off. :D   

Hahaha, of course, of course...