• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official 2019 CGC Chat Boards Holiday Gift Exchange Sign-Up
12 12

505 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, HollyJollyOne said:

What's the record for the number of board members who did not receive a gift by the 25th for any given year?

:ohnoez:

Dang that stinks, I wonder if it's possible to check pms to see if secret Santa info was read? A strenuous task to be sure, seems a lot of boardies opted in that don't frequent the boards a lot :(

I hope they didn't just forget... oye

14 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Nothing yet, but there are 2 more days.

I agree with Sha.... lot can happen in the last 2 days.

That being said, I believe we did used to have a rule that participants had to have been members for more than a year, and maybe had to have x number of posts as well to insure they were frequent contributors...?

Not that that prevented issues, either.  But if we find there's a lot of the issues end up being with those who don't frequent the boards perhaps we have to go back to it?

I also feel like (and it's sad that it comes to this) there maybe has to be a SS code of conduct that each participant has to actively agree to before signing up (by simply having read it and replying "I agree").  You know, something like:

I will:

Do my best to pick out a gift that I think my SS will enjoy
Send it to my SS so that it arrives on or before 12/24
Contact my SS and provide them with the tracking info, in the event that I believe it will not arrive in time.
Post a photo of the package I receive upon receipt and/or contact my sender to let them know it arrived safe and sound
Post a picture of my gift upon opening if possible to share with the group
Thank my sender privately upon opening my gift

This all should just be understood and common sense but... apparently not.

4 hours ago, Bird said:

This is my plea for people to be more specific in their wants! I am VERY specific but try to give leeway as well and make it clear that if they cannot get anything on the list to not worry about it. Getting comics for a gift is awesome, as we all know, so getting an awesome comic as a gift is even awesomer. (Gee, thought I would need more than one extra letter to make that distinction.) So I hope my scattershot approach to meeting my recipient's desire worked and that he likes it.

I want to amend this, Bird...

Not that I don't agree with you in principle.  It's just I'd word it that people who will be disappointed unless they receive very specific items should be more specific in their wants.  Some people prefer to be surprised with a gift.  If you have modest wants, then your list might just be list of stuff you can and will end up buying for yourself.  So getting that as a gift isn't as exciting as getting something unexpected.  And while sometimes that can be something that wasn't in your interest area... sometimes that opens NEW areas. Sometimes it's a big miss, but hey, if you're open to it and invited it, you can't complain.   So that's all I'm saying.  Yes, if you want something specific, please be specific.    From a shopping perspective, I always want to make someone happy... so of course if they have a specific wish list then you try to hit that, but very selfishly... I like having to try to figure out something I think will work. Yeah, not a mind reader, 100%.  Just ask my wife!

See the source image

Since I have no life, I've gone through the PMs and this thread, and would like to share a few numbers... just because you comic people like that kind of thing.

• Participants = 80
  • Number of Participants who have confirmed (either through PM or in this thread) that they have sent a gift = 60
  • Number of Participants who have confirmed (either through PM or in this thread) that they have received a gift = 37

Hopefully others, who have yet to do so, will chime in over the next couple of days.

4 hours ago, fmaz said:

I want to amend this, Bird...

Not that I don't agree with you in principle.  It's just I'd word it that people who will be disappointed unless they receive very specific items should be more specific in their wants.  Some people prefer to be surprised with a gift.  If you have modest wants, then your list might just be list of stuff you can and will end up buying for yourself.  So getting that as a gift isn't as exciting as getting something unexpected.  And while sometimes that can be something that wasn't in your interest area... sometimes that opens NEW areas. Sometimes it's a big miss, but hey, if you're open to it and invited it, you can't complain.   So that's all I'm saying.  Yes, if you want something specific, please be specific.    From a shopping perspective, I always want to make someone happy... so of course if they have a specific wish list then you try to hit that, but very selfishly... I like having to try to figure out something I think will work. Yeah, not a mind reader, 100%.  Just ask my wife!

Amendment accepted and endorsed!

I get a lot of joy from this place and hope to give some back at this time of the year.  So maybe my post was more me wanting to be more certain that I send a good gift, which is clearly easier to do with a clear want list.

Edited by Bird