• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANT-MAN & THE WASP QUANTUMANIA directed by Peyton Reed (2023)
11 11

1,061 posts in this topic

I liked it a lot…

it did feel a lot like a Star Wars movie at times. The world they created was awesome. I loved Majors as Kang. MODOK was great 80% of his screen time but I felt they overused him a bit. Overall, B+ for me. I’m not sure what all the complaints are for…

a lot of y’all sound like the old man yelling at clouds version of fanboys…

Edited by AGGIEZ

On 2/18/2023 at 7:23 AM, AGGIEZ said:

I think MCU has turned into Nickelback…even if they put something good out, people are still going to hate on it…

It isn't hate but frustration as they keep putting out average content motivated by a requirement to have a large quantity of movies and tv shows on the streaming platform.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:07 AM, Bosco685 said:

3.2K audience members gave this a 10/10.0 rating

1285604227_Screenshot_20230218-0403152.png.c38d22b4702e307accc1d0dd66c4a1cd.png

As I see it, if you can get past MODOK, Quantumania is a decent movie. The Quantum peoples revolution is kind of useless other than adding to the Mania, but the hero and villain  stories are good. Yes, Scott Lang is out of his league, but that’s been his M.O. since the first movie, a regular guy thrown amongst gods. Hope, Janet, and Hank finally get real hero moments. Hank Pym himself, and this is kind of a SPOILER, finally gets to be an Ant-Man. New-comer Cassie Lang isn’t bad. The tension created by Kang is both compelling and chilling. Even MODOK’s story makes sense. Most importantly, the movie concludes well. I’m seeing it again next week, and maybe MODOK won’t bother me as much a second time around, because he kind of made me a little ill whenever he was onscreen. 

On 2/18/2023 at 9:23 AM, AGGIEZ said:

I think MCU has turned into Nickelback…even if they put something good out, people are still going to hate on it…

I liked Nickelback

(shrug)

But since Phase IV it has been a struggle to connect consistently. Including after seeing Wakanda Forever, which even with that after the emotional tributes to Chadwick Boseman it lost me.

Just got back from seeing it - I liked it, thought it was much better than Wakanda Forever, Thor Love and Thunder, Eternals and Shang-Chi. Felt like a throwback to some of the earlier- mid-Marvel movies. I also got some definite Star Wars vibes in different spots. Looking forward to GotG 3 also (saw the trailer before the movie today).

There were also major Rick and Morty vibes that I thought I was just kind of imagining, but I just found out that the writer was also a Rick and Morty writer..

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 2/18/2023 at 3:30 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Just got back from seeing it - I liked it, thought it was much better than Wakanda Forever, Thor Love and Thunder, Eternals and Shang-Chi. Felt like a throwback to some of the earlier- mid-Marvel movies. I also got some definite Star Wars vibes in different spots. Looking forward to GotG 3 also (saw the trailer before the movie today).

There were also major Rick and Morty vibes that I thought I was just kind of imagining, but I just found out that the writer was also a Rick and Morty writer..

Also certain elements of Kang are shared with Rick.

Yeah the three of us (myself, my wife, and our very film-critical adult son) all just saw it and all really enjoyed it. I think I went in a bit skeptical due to the reviews, but I’d only seen the numbers… I hadn’t read them (I try not to before seeing a movie).

But now having read some, I do have a theory which, I believe, explains some of the critical “hate.”

First, a caveat. People like what they like. So if you saw this and didn’t like it, you didn’t like it. No one needs to explain themselves or defend themselves. I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about critical response.

A lot of the critical response I’m looking at, the negative stuff, seems to fall into two categories - complaining that the MCU is just so played out and tired now, or railing against the big noisy CGC-heavy effects and hard to follow/care about plot.

I think that the people who are writing negative reviews now, are people who never appreciated the early Marvel movies either, but because it wasn’t fashionable to write negative reviews, they didn’t. But once everyone opened the door with Eternals, now they’re following suit.  Let’s face it, saying “the MCU is played out and this has gone one too long” isn’t a criticism of this current movie.  And the thing about CGC-heavy etc… those are criticisms that you could have held against any/all superhero movies.  And maybe some of these critics DID feel that way, but didn’t express them.

My point is - I think you’re now going to see most MCU movies getting reviewed like this… with someone people criticizing them simply for existing, and others writing about what they think about the movie good or bad.  But because of the former, the days of any of the movies getting 80s or 90s is long past.

On 2/18/2023 at 2:45 PM, drotto said:

Also certain elements of Kang are shared with Rick.

Yeah, to the point where I was thinking of it as "the Council of Ricks" in the movie... lol

By the way, I should also add one of the things I really liked about the movie was the third act… and since I know we’re still in spoilers I think I can do this spoiler-free.

These movies have an inevitable big bang ending with the kitchen sink battles, but this one felt like it had real stakes in a way that others hadn’t in some time.  For a number of reasons:

1. It’s not a spoiler to say that we know this is just the start for the villain, so his resolution will have a real impact going forward regardless of anything else.

2. At this point in the MCU, and especially in the 3rd movie in a series of a lead character… there is NO guarantee that any character, main or supporting, is getting out alive. Especially when, as stated, we know they are establishing the big-bad going forward. So that really upped the stakes.

3. Aside from “to terminate or not to terminate (that is the question)” the main/supporting characters had arcs that were interesting and could have gone in different directions.

Yes, the folks of quantum world… their situations were less relevant/interesting as a whole… but otherwise I suppose the stakes would have felt smaller a bit too quiet? I don’t know… but they weren’t the reason it was interesting, that was for sure. 

On 2/18/2023 at 10:52 AM, paperheart said:

In general, int’l BO #’s are weak. Going to struggle to do $600M+ WW. 

Marvel's latest flop.

Somebody fire the genius that greenlit this at $200M (the same amount Sony spent on No Way Home).  Is Guardians 3 going to be enough to salvage 2023 for the MCU (since The Marvels is already doomed)?

-J.

_