• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANT-MAN & THE WASP QUANTUMANIA directed by Peyton Reed (2023)
11 11

1,061 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2023 at 8:34 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Dr Strange 2 did not bomb.

Box office wise it did amazing, but the youtube over-hype that every Marvel character ever was going to be in it made people feel cheated. 

Dr Strange 2 IMO was clearly the best movie of phase 4 (Spider-man does not count). 

DS2 turned its title character and his sidekick The Sorcerer Supreme into complete imbeciles. In no way would I ever describe such a story as, "the best of Phase Bore".

On 3/6/2023 at 8:56 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

DS2 turned its title character and his sidekick The Sorcerer Supreme into complete imbeciles. In no way would I ever describe such a story as, "the best of Phase Bore".

I always thought DS2 was a complete bomb but I guess the box office numbers were higher then I remember.  It was such a train wreck that I thought nobody went to see it (their mistake).

On 3/6/2023 at 9:33 AM, D84 said:

So the kick off of phase 5 might end up making less than the theatrical Justice League. :roflmao:

This will be lucky to make $500 million at this point. With this being the big kick off tue Phase 5, and the formal introduction to Kang, they needed a lot more out of this film.

Edited by drotto

On 3/6/2023 at 9:33 AM, D84 said:

So the kick off of phase 5 might end up making less than the theatrical Justice League. :roflmao:

Oof, I’m not sure I’d be making comparisons between Quantumania and Justice League. Quantumania’s 47% RT critics tally and projected $500 million box office is a disappointment for sure, but that in no way is comparable to Justice League’s theatrical release meltdown of a 38% RT tally and $650 million box office to a $300 million budget and had ALL the DC big hitters in it. Yes, Quantumania was the first Phase Five movie, but it’s still Ant-Man, the historically least money-making series in the MCU, a hero who barely featured in Marvel Comics to begin with. Justice League brought down the Snyderverse. Quantumania will do well enough for Marvel to stay the course while at the same time adapting its new quality not quantity philosophy.

On 3/6/2023 at 11:31 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Oof, I’m not sure I’d be making comparisons between Quantumania and Justice League. Quantumania’s 47% RT critics tally and projected $500 million box office is a disappointment for sure, but that in no way is comparable to Justice League’s theatrical release meltdown of a 38% RT tally and $650 million box office to a $300 million budget and had ALL the DC big hitters in it. Yes, Quantumania was the first Phase Five movie, but it’s still Ant-Man, the historically least money-making series in the MCU, a hero who barely featured in Marvel Comics to begin with. Justice League brought down the Snyderverse. Quantumania will do well enough for Marvel to stay the course while at the same time adapting its new quality not quantity philosophy.

I agree that Justice League was a bigger disaster. But, staying the course would likely be a mistake at this point.  Phase 4 is now being seen broadly as disappointing, and Phase 5 just started with a thud. Yes, it is an Ant Man film, but they were advertising it as the all important kick off the Kang, and the most important MCU film since Endgame.  In that light, this reception is a much bigger issue.

People will then bring up that Kang is going to be in Loki.  Again, streaming is not going to save or rehabilitate Kang.  Thr original Loki pulled around 2.8 millions viewers (I hope I am remembering that correctly), that is a fraction of people that see the movies historically, and Disney has had a lot of issues with series. That show is not going to pull in casual fans. Streaming shows will not save the MCU, just as they have failed Star Wars.

I think Gaurdians 3 will do well.  After that the next MCU film with almost garenteed success will be Deadpool 3.  So you have about 1 1/2 years of uncertainty coming up for the MCU. Who knows beyond that, but I suspect they will need the Fantastic Four and moreso the X-Men to resuscitate the MCU.

On 3/6/2023 at 7:05 AM, drotto said:

This will be lucky to make $500 million at this point. With this being the big kick off tue Phase 5, and the formal introduction to Kang, they needed a lot more out of this film.

after this disastrous weekend, $215M US & $275M Int'l seems right but Disney will drag it to $500M to save a bit of face

On 3/6/2023 at 11:55 AM, drotto said:

I think Gaurdians 3 will do well.  After that the next MCU film with almost garenteed success will be Deadpool 3.  So you have about 1 1/2 years of uncertainty coming up for the MCU. Who knows beyond that, but I suspect they will need the Fantastic Four and moreso the X-Men to resuscitate the MCU.

X-people or Mutants.  Disney is changing the name.  

On 3/6/2023 at 4:21 PM, drotto said:

Changing the name may be enough to get me to skip the movie, and I likely own 1000's of X-Men books.

“I don’t know where the future is going. It’s funny that people call it the X-Men, there’s a lot of female superheroes in that X-Men group, so I think it’s outdated.”

— Victoria Alonso, President of Physical, Post Production, VFX and Animation at Marvel Studios in 2019

On 3/6/2023 at 3:26 PM, WolverineX said:

“I don’t know where the future is going. It’s funny that people call it the X-Men, there’s a lot of female superheroes in that X-Men group, so I think it’s outdated.”

— Victoria Alonso, President of Physical, Post Production, VFX and Animation at Marvel Studios in 2019

me standing in line at the theater ticket-window will also be outdated.

On 3/6/2023 at 4:26 PM, WolverineX said:

“I don’t know where the future is going. It’s funny that people call it the X-Men, there’s a lot of female superheroes in that X-Men group, so I think it’s outdated.”sa 

Shows a complete lack of understanding for a group that has always been a thinly veiled allegory for oppressed groups.   It is the wide meaning of men coming from mankind, and they had a X factor in their genetics.  

People that adapt these properties should have a minimal baseline understanding of them and their history. Alonso clearly lacks this, calling it outdated is a solution looking for a problem.  Not to mention destroying the built in recognition of the IP they would be abandoning. That would just be a stupid business decision.

On 3/6/2023 at 4:46 PM, drotto said:

Shows a complete lack of understanding for a group that has always been a thinly veiled allegory for oppressed groups.   It is the wide meaning of men coming from mankind, and they had a X factor in their genetics.  

People that adapt these properties should have a minimal baseline understanding of them and their history. Alonso clearly lacks this, calling it outdated is a solution looking for a problem.  Not to mention destroying the built in recognition of the IP they would be abandoning. That would just be a stupid business decision.

I wonder if Alonso also thinks Human outdated too.  

Edited by WolverineX

On 3/6/2023 at 3:58 PM, Bosco685 said:

is this his first rodeo? 1x this weekend gets to $200M, even the MCU's 50 shades of Grey did 2x it's 3rd weekend until the end of its run, Eternals 2.6x (aided by Thanksgiving) , even Morbius did 1.8x