• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Ask Greggy!"™ !!!!

1,835 posts in this topic

Dear Greggy:

Why do organists play "Hava Nagila" (Jewish celebration song played at bar mitzvahs and weddings) at ice hockey games?

Because the Sharks fans don't know any better? confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Dear Greggy:

Why do organists play "Hava Nagila" (Jewish celebration song played at bar mitzvahs and weddings) at ice hockey games?

Because the Sharks fans don't know any better? confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Let me restate the question --

Why do organists at EVERY HOCKEY ARENA IN THE LEAGUE play "Hava Nagila" (Jewish celebration song played at bar mitzvahs and weddings) at ice hockey games?

Dear Greggy:

I purchased a PGX book recently for about half of what it would have gone for if it was a CGC book. The seller then emails me and says his kid dropped it and the case is damaged, but he can't tell if the book is damaged. So I don't really mind because I'm going to open it anyways. I paid for the book the seller then returns my money and says the book has damage. I ask for pics and he says he has to get a camara off of his Aunt,,, so that took a week. I could see the cracks where someone had to have taken a hammer to the side, but after blowing up the image I don't see any damage to the book. So I tell him to send it and he says "ok" Now he is saying there is all this damage and he doesn't want any negatives (which he already has a few) and that there would be no return offered,,even though he offered that at first.

My question to you Greggy is,,,is this guy just pi ssed because it sold for so little and he just doesn't want to give it up? Or is he an honest fellow?

Dear Greggy:

I purchased a PGX book recently for about half of what it would have gone for if it was a CGC book. The seller then emails me and says his kid dropped it and the case is damaged, but he can't tell if the book is damaged. So I don't really mind because I'm going to open it anyways. I paid for the book the seller then returns my money and says the book has damage. I ask for pics and he says he has to get a camara off of his Aunt,,, so that took a week. I could see the cracks where someone had to have taken a hammer to the side, but after blowing up the image I don't see any damage to the book. So I tell him to send it and he says "ok" Now he is saying there is all this damage and he doesn't want any negatives (which he already has a few) and that there would be no return offered,,even though he offered that at first.

My question to you Greggy is,,,is this guy just pi ssed because it sold for so little and he just doesn't want to give it up? Or is he an honest fellow?

He's pizzed but you being persistent, called his bluff and he blinked. thumbsup2.gif

Dear Greggy:

He's pizzed but you being persistent, called his bluff and he blinked. thumbsup2.gif
Oh yeah he is most definitely pizzed that I (as he puts it) "one" his auction! Also if I want the book I have to wait because he is moving. insane.gif

Dear Greggy:

What is the proper way to eat sushi? Do you dip the whole piece of fish and rice in the soy, or do you peel off the fish slice and only dip it in?

And by sushi, I mean REAL sushi, not those rolls that poser wannabes eat.

Thank you, oh guru of the maguro!

Rhino Comics,

A little pedantic lesson on sushi:

Sushi may or may not have raw fish in it, but it does include rice. Japan-Guide.com defines sushi as "a dish containing rice which has been prepared with sushi vinegar." Link

Sashimi is the raw fish you eat with or without the rice. Link

Sorry, but certain things are sacred. sumo.gif

Rhino Comics,

Sushi may or may not have raw fish in it, but it does include rice. Japan-Guide.com defines sushi as "a dish containing rice which has been prepared with sushi vinegar." Link

Thank you for clearing that up. 893applaud-thumb.gif I'm sick of people turning their nose up when I mention that I like sushi. Invariably, the first words out of their mouth are "Raw fish? Yuck!" mad.gif

Dear Greggy:

What is the proper way to eat sushi? Do you dip the whole piece of fish and rice in the soy, or do you peel off the fish slice and only dip it in?

Rhino Comics,

Follow-up query: Is the dipping of sushi into soy sauce mandatory, optional, or sacrilegious? I was always of the belief that this tactic was an American bastardization akin to putting ketchup on a hotdog.

Also, what about the ginger? Eat it with the sushi and wasabi or use it as a "palate cleanser" after each piece?

Dear Greggy:

Rhino Comics,

Follow-up query: Is the dipping of sushi into soy sauce mandatory, optional, or sacrilegious? I was always of the belief that this tactic was an American bastardization akin to putting ketchup on a hotdog.

Also, what about the ginger? Eat it with the sushi and wasabi or use it as a "palate cleanser" after each piece?

What follows are simply my best guesses:

1. I would say dipping sushi in soy sauce is optional. Japanese are big on dipping sauces, but I never had the impression that dipping was required. Most of the sauces have subtle flavors.

2. I'm pretty sure the ginger and wasabi, are also optional. I'm not aware of specific rules for eating sushi. My impression has always been you season it to fit your taste. I'm not a big sushi eater, but my wife, who is from Japan, usually leaves off the ginger and the wasabi altogether.

Long time lurker, first time caller!

Dear Greggy,

Why so little love from you for the 12-cent DCs? confused-smiley-013.gif

I needed an arbitrary cover price cut-off for my collection. Plus, as I am a high grade completist, it would be too financially devasting if I attempted to collect them. However, I still respect them! confused-smiley-013.gif

Dear Greggy,

I am planning to open my 4th comic book shop in the next few months and I have a few questions:

Should the sign on the restroom door say "Private" or "Employees Only"?

If a six year old girl mangles four copies of the new issue of Ultimate Spider-Man while trying to find an Archie comic, should I make those the sub pulls for the customers who are furthest behind in picking up their books, or the sub pulls for the customers who smell the worst?

For Halloween, we always do a costume swap where each employee puts the name of a male comic character and the name of a female comic character on a card and drops it in a fishbowl. All employees draw cards and have to wear the costume listed. What characters should I put on my card this year, for a hot female employee to wear, and a male character that won't make me look like a ?

If I overorder on a really horrible new issue, is it better to donate the extra copies to a local charity for blind kids or to give it away to my subs as a "free gift"?

About twice a week a customer asks this question: "What's the most expensive comic you guys have?" I typically respond with "Why? You gonna buy it? Or steal it?" Is there a better line to pimpslap some manners into these rude customers? You know they wouldn't be stupid enough to ask that same question at a jewelry store.

If a little old lady customer comes in with a box of 10-cent DCs in mid-grade, and is carrying a copy of Overstreet's 15th edition with her, should I make my offer based on her copy of the guide? Or will I do less time in hell if I pull out my copy of the 18th edition and tell her there's a more recent guide we can go by?

A lot of stores have TVs that constantly play superhero DVDs while the store is open as a way of reminding the customers that they are in a comic shop. Would it be alright if I played Misty Mundae's Spider-Babe DVD in my shop?

The space I am looking at for my new shop is two down from a liquor store. Can you think of any cool cross-promotions I could run with them to help sell comics?

I was considering sorting my Bronze Age books by genre to make it easier for customers to find what they are looking for. Should Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love go in the romance section? Or the Horror section?

This city is one of the most overweight in North America. Can you recommend some good ways to tell female customers that we don't carry Supergirl Baby-Ts in 3X?

The other stores in town price VG Silver Age at VF prices pretty much across the board. Should I price mine the way they do, so customers don't get confused? Or would it be okay to mark them down to about 60% of NM guide so customers think they are getting a deal?

And finally, during that one scene in Team America: World Police, how did they get so much vomit to come out of such a small puppet?

Thanks. I'll take my answers on the board.

'House