• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Big Apple Comic-Con: Comic Book, Art, & Toy Show: Sept 10-11

23 posts in this topic

The Big Apple Comic-Con: Comic Book, Art, & Toy Show: Sept 10-11

Saturday: September 10th (10a-8p) Sunday: September 11th (10a-6p)

CGC: COMICS GUARANTEE CORPORATION will be attending to accept submissions to be graded at their home office in Florida

War, Horror, Suspence, Swords, and Sorcery! Big Apple Comic-Con's salute to Adventure Comics! Over 300 tables of Comic Books, Toys! Contests, Giveaways, Anime, Gaming, Panels, Seminars & Surprises! Celebrity Guests: Kristine Sutherland (Buffy: The Vampire Slayer) and Scream Queen Debbie Rochon.

(www.bigapplecon.com web page / 201-865-3288)

Admission: $10 per day. Children under 8 free.

Tickets available: http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr https:// web page

CREATORS SCHEDULED INCLUDE:

JIM STERANKO (SUN) - Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., Captain America, X-Men

SAL BUSCEMA (SAT)- Captain America, the Hulk, the Defenders, Spider-Man

RUSS HEATH - Arizona Kid' 'Frontline Combat, Sgt. Rock, Sea Devils

STEVE RUDE- Nexus, The Moth

SAM GLANZMAN - U.S.S. Stevens, Kona: Monaqrch of Monster Isle Voyage to the Deep

AYERS - The Fantastic Four, The Incredible Hulk, Sgt. Fury, Calico Kid, The Ghost Rider

ALEX MALEEV - Superstar Daredevil Artist and Eisner arward winner!

MICHAEL NETZER Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Uri-On

JAMAL IGLE - Fire Sermon, Blackjack, Honor

ALEX SAVIUK - Web of Spiderman, X-Files, Feast of the Seven Fishes

JIM KREUGER - Earth X, The Foot Soldiers, Alphabet Supes, The Clock Maker

BUZZ - Justice League Quarterly, JSA, Vampirella, Shi, X-Factor, Impulse, Dragonlance, Forgotten

BILLY TUCCI (SUN) - Writer and artist of SHI, Atomik ANGELS, The Burning Blue, Diosa, Victoria Cross and The Undaunted.

JIM SALICRUP - Spiderman Editor, fr. TOPPS Editor in Chief, Papercutz Editor in Chief

DANNY FINGEROTH Spider-man, Superman, creator and editor of Write Now magazine

KEN KELLY -Fantasy Master Painter Conan the Barbarian, Tarzan, or the rock group Kiss,

DAVE ELLIOTT Atomeka Press, Tundra U.K. , then Blackball Comics, Penthouse Comix, HEAVY METAL

RICH BUCKLER SR - Co-creator of Deathlok the Demolisher, The Fantastic Four, The Black Panther, Amazing Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk

GUY DORIAN - 'The New Warriors' Ultra Force, Hari Kari, Bad Girls, Hakkiro Soul Quest

MARK SPARACIO - Cover artist for Shi, IDW's Shaun of the Dead

JIM MUNIZ - Marvel Knights FF4, Hulk's Destruction!

KEVIN CONRAD - Hulk's Destruction!

MICHAEL GAYDOS Illustrator for DC, Image, Tundra, NBM, Caliber and White Wolf among others.

J DAVID SPURLOCK - Prince of Pop Art, Publisher of Vanguard Productions, the Space Cowboy.

PETER SANDERSON noted comic book historian, pop culture critic, and bon vivant.

MICHELLE WITCHIPOO - Witches Brew

DAVID MATTINGLY- Graphic artist for Disney Studios who worked on "The Black Hole", "Tron", " Tracy", Stephen King's "The Stand" and most recently "I, Robot" for Weta Digital in New Zealand.

RODNEY RAMOS - Spider-man ,X-men , Transmetroplitan ,Green Lantern , Batman, Toxin

JOHN LUCAS

TOMMY CASTILLO - Batman Detective Comics and Legends of the Dark Knight, Dragons Myths & Mayhem

MARK TEXEIRA - Wolverine, Spiderman, Sabertooth, Ghost Rider, Pscythe

GUS VAZQUEZ - Marvel Age: Spider Man, Green Lantern, Sunfire, and has done storyboards for the new TMNT show on FOX.

PUBLISHERS:

ATOMEKA PRESS - Dave Elliott

CRAZEE COMICS Samuel Vera

ENEMI ENT. - (Sun Only) John Kotsis, Vengence

AND MANY MORE TBA!

The Big Apple Comic Con is located at:

The Penn Plaza Pavilion, 401 7th Ave at 33rd St, NY, NY

Acr. from MSG & Penn Station.

Subway: A,C,E to Penn Stat.

Also

ESAD RIBIC - Croation Super-Artist in his only American Apperance this Year!!! WOLVERINE : #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, LOKI : #1, #2, #3, #4, Vol. 1, KINGPIN : #1, #2, #3, #4, ,BLACK PANTHER : #1B , #1C 2nd Print, HOUSE OF M : #1C , #2A , #3A , #3B , #4, #5A , TOXIN : #1. NYC Mech #2, #3, #5.

I was going to let this go, but I see a one post poster come on here and say this, I can't let it go. The Big Apple is a nice show that has guests who (sometimes) show up (generally if they fail to show, it's nobody's fault, but a lot of times, it's simply artists working to finish deadlines... whatever).

But this notion that Mike and his "staff" are doing this great job at running the show is in my mind a total joke. I had a huge problem with the raised prices a few months ago that was total nonsense. NY shows as Bob Storms and others have always told me is very hard work... But y'know what I see when I'm there? Mike running about like a chicken with his cut off rambling off at dealers who aren't the major players and muttering while not listening to their concerns.

The guests are generally the same, but I attended a talk with Steve Englehart and there were about oh, 6 people there total. It's nice to have him, but if the cost were fewer guests, or perhaps different guests for the $10 the show itself might draw better.

I think people have interpreted my comments as "anti Mike or anti Big Apple" but I still go to the show and I'm not anti anything, but I think this praise for the show is ridiculous as well.

What Artists Have to Say about the Big Apple Con:

“I'm enamored by the down to Earth, warm and very human feeling the Big Apple Con is able to maintain in today's plastic Hollywood oriented shows. A Big Well done to Mike, Allan, and all the staff who brought us this con."

-Michael Netzer

"It was wonderful- from England I felt like a complete Alien in the middle of all this bustle, but I felt -WONDERFUL!!!- see you next year.

-Glen Fabry

"Not having done an NY show for so long, its great to see that the spark of creativity in this city hasn't faded. The best convention chats I've ever had were here."

-Dave Elliott, Atomeka Press

"Great Big Thanks to Mike, Karen, and Allan for another incredible, fantastic, amazing, astonishing good time!"

-Jim Salicrup

"My absolute favorite comic book show - and its right here in my hometown!"

-Rich Buckler

"I had such a great time at the con meeting new people and seeing others' work. One little girl even made her dad drive 2 1/2 hours to buy a copy of Sabrina! I think I met my biggest fan! Thanks Big Apple Con!"

-Tania del Rio

"I had a great time at the Big Apple Convention. I don't get out here too much and the Big Apple Convention was a fine place to meet my New York fans."

-Jamie Hernandez

"Big Apple Con was the most fun I've had at a comics convention in years! Comics! Wrestlers! Ill fitting costumes! GIRLS! Well,...comics!"

-Gilbert "Beto" Hernandez

"Big Apple Cons are Always Fun and Great for Networking."

-Danny Fingeroth

"The best show in NYC and getting Better All the Time."

-Michael Bair

"The Big Apple Con Gets Better Every Time, Always a Breath of Fresh Air in the Evershifting NY Comics Scene."

-Ivan Brandon, NYC Mech

"As a Fan of Spectacular Things I can say that I Love the Big Apple Con."

-Andy MacDonald, NYC Mech

"Allan asked me to write this...It was better than E.T., better than Gremlins. I'll see it Again and Again. Oh and the Con was Cool Too.

-Buzz

"The Big Apple Con Provides a Great Value where all the Comic Fans can come Together and Meet each Other. And I'm glad to be a part of it."

-Rudy Nebres

"Keeps getting Bigger....and Better. What Artists and Models!"

-Louis Small Jr.

"I would just like to take a minute to thank everyone associated with the Big Apple Con and all the Wonderful Fans for making my NY debut appearance such a huge, memorable success!"

-Mark Sparacio

"Big Apple is a Big and Noisy and Confusing and Weird and Sprawling and Everything a NY Con is Supposed to Be. I know. I was there. I witnessed the madness with my own two eyes. Eight years and still going - They must be doing something right.

-Scott Roberts

"I....and I quote...had a good time this weekend."

-Angel Medina

"We had a fun time at the Big Apple. We used to be a cheap, meager, no-good [embarrassing lack of self control] ant, unknown self-published book, from Calfiornia. But now that we appeared at the Big Apple we are famous with fans and readers alike, across the Nation. Being from California, we can say wit authority, that comics fans on the east coast are no less Nerds, Geeks, Freaks, or than we are. A Comic Fan is A Comic Fan. We felt very welcome. Everyone ws fun and kind. Allan knows his comics History and brought in great guests and provided Great interview of his Great Guests. We would enjoy coming again..."

- Chris Wisnia, Tabloia Weekly Magazine

"I’m Paul Ancenta, penciler for Marvel comics. I think its great. I think its awesome. I like the fact that its more than once a year. I mean its kind of small, not like the huge things, which is another good thing because I think its more personal. You know, you get to meet more people. The downstairs thing...I’m not sure if I approve though. There’s some panels going on....maybe some more panels or events going on....to kind of draw people, instead of just walking around and buying stuff. (Karen: We’ve got a nice new big panel room, but I don’t think people know about it yet.) I mean that’s it. It’s good. That’s the only thing I can think of.”

–Paul Ancenta

“I liked the building. I like the venue. I like the way you move around the place. I just like the way its set up. It makes it very interesting to go into all these places and nooks, separate little bits, you know. I do think the artists are a little bit too segregated. I’d like to be just a little bit further bit center to the mix a little bit. Temperature was good. It was a little hot in here yesterday. I’ve got the window open, so I’m fine there. It would be nice to get some kind of a place that we professional kind of people could go for a few minutes and decompress during the show. A quiet room, with possibly a therapist on duty. Just to talk over those difficult bits, okay? Other than that that would probably have been the biggest plus. I know I probably would have used it several times.”

-Michael Zulli

“I love the show. I always have a great time here. I mean, I don’t know what else to say, its great! The crowds are great. They treat everybody, they treat me great. I think its great, great, great, great, great! I think I overused that word.”

–Bill Sienkowitz

“I really like Karen. Karen is fantastic and very helpful, and has helped you run a very efficient and smooth show. It was good. Yeah, we had a great time, the hotel was fantastic. We loved that the convention was right in the hotel, that was very simple in the morning. It was fun to be on TV with Mike. That was incredible. A lot of people were saying that they saw us on TV. And it was nice to be sitting here with Andy Lee and a lot of other artists, fantastic artists. It’s really good, I really appreciate.”

–David Mack

“This has been the most incredible day of my life.”

–Scott Eaton

“Well, it was pretty much what I expected, and I’m not disappointed or thrilled. It was fine. I liked the fact that it had customers, that’s always good, that wasn’t a dud. I don’t have any complaints, it was fine. It’s just what I thought it would be. A lot of the people who were coming up, they kept wishing my publisher had a presence here or had a booth. You know, that’s there call, not mine. The people that were coming up to me, that seemed to be their complaint, but I don’t care. I’m sick of them, so I don’t want to see them. It looks like many publishers don’t have a booth here, besides small independent people. But, like DC never has a booth here, or anything, do they? What about Dark Horse people like that? That’s what you guys want to do, eventually get publishers here. Thank you.”

–Peter Bagge

“Well, so far my impression of the show is that its been growing. I’m really happy with it. I mean its usually pretty slow on Sundays, but most conventions are. The only thing I can say is maybe...is the price the same on Saturday and Sunday....maybe lower the price on Sunday to bring people in. Because I think the impression is that a lot of people, a lot of the creators, don’t come in on Sunday, they come in on Saturday. If you lower the price, that might bring more people in. Other than that I love it! I hope it continues to get bigger and bigger, till he like takes over the world.”

–Dave Devries

“Hi, my name is Tim Smith 3, I’m an artist on Teen Times Go, the animated series. I think the convention is very good. I love what’s going on. I love the energy of people coming in...and that’s all, I love it, its great. I guess if any improvement, an addition to the downstairs area, when you walk in, behind the escalator the area could be used for various things to bring in more people.”

–Tim Smith 3

“Mike, I must say, you’ve outdone yourself. Its gotten better and better. And I think I can put my finger on it exactly–Karen. She’s made the huge difference, I tell you. I’m just telling it as I see it. I don’t know, I think the radio advertising, is great. I think having it at the hotel is great. I think maybe we could talk a little bit about how the programming could be fixed up a little, that’s the only quibble. But Mike, you’re the best!”

–Jim Salicrup

“I think the new talent, like the Ninja Turtles, is a good thing for the comics. I think separating the celebrities and the artists, putting them in different arenas is a good thing. What I would like to see more? More of today’s artists and creators in the industry. I think they would draw more of a crowd. More forums, but hosted by the top names in the industry. Like if the Ninja Turtles did a presentation on how they put there animation together, I think everyone would just eat that up. Maybe, Wizard World, they have a spin the wheel, win a prize, something as an incentive for people who come into the convention. Mostly, just the bigger names in the industry, who are actually contributing to the hottest books that are selling on the market. Those fans will come and they’ll eat it up.”

–Samuel Vera, Crazee Comics

“Off the top of my head, the variety of areas and styles of comics you had today were wonderful. As you know, Mike, when you don’t have a lot of areas and styles I complain, well, I should complement you when you do have a lot of areas and styles. You have people from all different decades, you had so many different kinds of comics, and since a lot of people here, it was their first convention, uh, you opened a lot of eyes as to what comics can be, and suprised a lot of people... Having fun as usual, thanks, Mike.

–Ken Gale

“Mike, this is Dave Morello from Unred Comic Books, I thought the show was great. This is my second show here. I sold plenty of books. I think everything is excellent, and Karen is doing an excellent job.”

–Dave Morello

“I think they needed more Japanese toys. I thought we needed some female dancers in the room. Maybe a big screen with some Anime or some movies. (Karen: Well, we have that downstairs, but I don’t think a lot of people are aware of that.) Did I mention about the girls and dancing around? Maybe a guy with a clown outfit, saying hello to people. I’d like that, and squeeky nose. Toys, more toys. It’s good. I think overall the show was good. It’s one of the most fun shows I’ve been in a while. I think there’s not a real connection between the room downstairs or the speeches. There’s not enough awareness. So I think some way to make people know there’s going to be some speeches from entering, so they know. Because I didn’t know, its not very clear. That would be my main concern. The space was well spaced out, like yesterday, I heard it was very crowded. But so far it was good. It just needed dancers and more Japanese toys.

“Dancers. Those Storm Troopers outside, for that other show in Jersey. You got to get rid of those guys, people with outfits on the street, so we can mock them. Mud-wrestling, girls mud-wrestling in the middle. (Karen: We did that a long time ago.) Really. When? (I think its been six or seven years.) Will you do it? (No.) Laughter...”

–4 Kids

“My name is Scott Roberts, and I’m sitting here and wanting more customers to come

by, but other than that. Yesterday was good, very busy, especially at lunch when I was trying to eat.

–Scott Roberts

"This is the first show I've done in New York since Greenberg in 93' and it was great."

-Aaron Lopresti

Saturday, Sept 10 - Sunday, Sept 11

The Big Apple Comic-Con: Comic Book, Art, & Toy Show announces even more great

guests!

With Celebrity Appearances by:

KRISTINE SUTHERLAND - Kristine Sutherland is a professional actress best known

for starring in the role of Joyce Summers on the hit television show, Buffy The

Vampire Slayer. Kentucky native Kristine Sutherland got her start in high school

playing Pegora the witch for the Lexington Children's Theatre Company. After

attending the University of Kentucky, Kristine traveled to London to study at

The Drama Studio. After completing her studies, New York City beckoned and

Kristine soon got her professional start Off-Broadway and in regional theatre.

Since then she has appeared in a number of pilots for television, guest starred

on many popular television shows, and appeared in countless commercials and

voice-overs. In 1993, Kristine and husband John Pankow (cousin Ira on "Mad About

you,") moved to Los Angeles; they currently reside in Italy. Her filmography

includes Honey, I Shrunk the Kids!, "Remington Steele", "California Dreams",

"Hot Pursuit", "EZ Street" , "What Does It Take",

Legal Eagles and "Guiding Light". Kristine appeared in 59 episodes of Buffy.

MELODY ANDERSON - Melody Anderson celebrates 25 years since the making of Flash

Gordon. She adds this to her many film and television credits including: "Fire

Walker", with Chuck Norris and Lou Gossett; "Policewoman Centerfold," with Ed

Marinaro; "Ernie Kovacs: Between the Laughter," with Jeff Goldblum; "Manimal,"

with Simon McCorkindale; 'Natalie' in "All My Children"; "Dead And Buried" with

James Farentrino; "Speed Zone" with John Candy; and "Boy In Blue" with Nicholas

Cage. The Canadian-born actress took time off from show business for the people

business and received her Masters in Social Work. She created the "Friends &

Family Program" and the "Intensive Out-Patient Program" at Hazelden New York.

Melody still appears on the screen, but now as an expert on families and

addiction. She appeared in a ShowTime documentary directed by oscar winner

Robert Zemeckis. She currently has a private practice in New York City,

lectures around the country and internationally on addict

ions and is working on a book for parents with kids who use drugs and alcohol.

However, she admits that acting is still in her blood and if the right part

comes along, she'll consider it

DEBBIE ROCHON Debbie Rochon began her prolific film career at the age of 13 in

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Fabulous Stains! starring Diane Lane. While Rochon’s

lone line "We don’t put out!" was cut from the final version of the film, she

did realize that acting was going to be her life. Early on, Rochon worked with

numerous off-off Broadway theater companies, performing in over 25 stage

productions. She garnered her first printed review in Backstage which read:

"Debbie Rochon acquitted her self well as the cocaloony bird in Tennessee

Williams’ The Gnadiges Fraulein." Feeling like she had gone as far as she could

on the stage, Rochon focused on the cinema, and worked on over 100 independent

features since. The Hubcap Awards founder Joe Bob Briggs crowned Rochon

runner-up Best Actress of the year in 1994 for her work on the Canadian lensed

Abducted II: The Reunion. In 1995 she was singled out for her work as the

conniving television producer in Broadcast Bombshells winning her t

he prestigious Barbarella Award. She cut up the small screen in a commercial for

Gillette directed by Pedro Almodovar and was a featured guest player on Fox’s

New York Undercover. In 2002 Rochon was crowned Scream Queen of the Decade (1990

- present) by the horror genre publication Draculina magazine based on reader

voting. She also received Best Psychette Award 2002 (best female psycho in a

movie) for her work in American Nightmare by Videoscope Magazine. Currently

Rochon is featured in 2 horror movie themed documentaries; Something to Scream

About and the Canadian produced Sex in Horror co-starring David Cronenberg.

Debbie hopes to one day co-host a cooking show with The Amazing Kreskin.

JASMINE MAI - Import Car Model

STEVE DASH - The original "Jason" in Friday the 13th part 2, (the first Jason,

with a sack over his head.) For 24 years, many fans have been under the

impression there was only one Jason in the film, due to the way the film's

credits read. Warrington Gillette was given sole credit as "Jason", while

actor/stuntman Steve Daskawisz (who now goes by the surname of Dash) was billed

as "Jason Stunt Double". Reality couldn't be farther from the truth. Actually,

Dash did almost every scene as Jason in the film (except for the window crash at

the end and a few inserts of hands and feet). If there's a scene with Jason in

"The Bag", it was Dash. Dash is well known in Hollywood for his work as a

stuntman. His movie credits include parts in, Fort Apache The Bronx,

Nightshift, Nighthawks, The Jazz Singer, Ghost Busters, Turk 182, Quiz Show, and

more. He has appeared on TV soaps "All MY Children, Guiding Light, and One Life

to Live.

JAMIE MCGONNIGAL - Jamie McGonnigal lives in New York City and enjoys his

careers as Actor, Director and Producer. He is best known for his work in Weiss

Kreuz (Knight Hunters) as Omi, Takeo in Magic User's Club, Kazuto in World of

Narue and 4Kids’ F-Zero as Zoda. He has also been heard in Tezuka's Jungle

Emperor Leo, Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh!, One Piece, The Gokusen, Patlabor, The

Weathering Continent, Arcade Gamer Fubuki, Kirby, GTO (Live Action), Naru Taru,

and many more. He is also proud to announce that he will be playing the leading

role in an upcoming game for PS2. Jamie has become well-known in New York City

for his work as a producer and director with his concert productions of Pippin

(starring Rosie O'Donnell and Ben Vereen), Children of Eden (both for The

National AIDS Fund), Embrace! 2004 & 2005 (to benefit The Matthew Shepard

Foundation), SNOOPY! The Musical, starring Tony-Award Winner Sutton Foster, and

the upcoming Concert Revival of The Secret Garden (www.worldAID

Sdayconcert.org). Visit www.JamieMcG.com for more information

CATHY ST. GEORGE - Playboy August 1982 Centerfold

AND EVEN MORE COMIC BOOK CREATORS INCLUDING....

ESAD RIBIC - Croation Super-Artist in his only American Apperance this Year!!!

WOLVERINE : #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, LOKI : #1, #2, #3, #4, Vol. 1, KINGPIN :

#1, #2, #3, #4, ,BLACK PANTHER : #1B , #1C 2nd Print, HOUSE OF M : #1C , #2A ,

#3A , #3B , #4, #5A , TOXIN : #1. NYC Mech #2, #3, #5.

JUNE BRIGMAN - June Brigman has been drawing since she was old enough to hold a

pencil. She studied art at the University of Georgia and Georgia State

University, but most of her drawing skills were acquired through self-study and

work experience. Ms. Brigman has had a long career in the comic book field. For

Marvel Comics she created the Power Pack" series, the first to feature children

as super heroes. She then went on to work for DC Comics on "Supergirl"

and for Dark Horse Comics on the "Star Wars" comic series. She has done

children's illustrations for the Bantam Doubleday Dell book Choose Your Own

Adventure and the comic strip "Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?" for

National Geographic World magazine. She has also worked in advertising, doing

comps and storyboards. Most recently, she illustrated a graphic novel adaptation

of "Black

Beauty" for Byron Priess Visual Publications. She currently draws the

nationally syndicated comic strip "Brenda Starr" for the Tribune Media

Syndicate. Her online portfolio can be viewed at: www.ArtWanted.com/juneart.

ROY RICHARDSON - Roy Richardson was inspired to pursue a comics career by the

work of Jack Kirby, the ground breaking Fourth World series in particular. A

Georgia native, he studied art at the Art Institute of Atlanta and Georgia State

University, and in 1983 moved to New York. He has worked for all the major

publishers, on such books as Captain America, Iron Man, the Flash, Star Wars,

and his

own co-creation, the Tomorrow Knights, which has been adapted into a role

playing game, just released from Z-Man Games. Roy currently works in

collaboration with his wife, June Brigman, inking, lettering and coloring the

Brenda Starr comic strip. His online portfolio can be viewed at:

www.ArtWanted.com/royart.

DARK ONE - Artist and inker best known for his work with Joe Linsner on Dawn and

Fan

PAOLO RIVERA - Paolo Rivera was born in 1981 and grew up in Daytona Beach, FL.

He graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design in 2003 and got his comics

break doing pin-ups and sequential work for Jim Krueger (while still in school).

He’s been working for Marvel Comics ever since and is currently in the midst of

an exclusive contract, during which time he will be working with writer Paul

Jenkins, painting the origin stories of Marvel’s major characters. He was

previously paired with Jenkins last year in Spectacular Spider-Man #14. Paolo

lives and works in a comfortably sized bedroom/ studio in Brooklyn. A

smattering of artwork can be viewed at: www.paolorivera.com

WILLIAM H. FOSTER III has been a writer since the age of 8 and published since

age 11. Poet, essayist, playwright, and editorialist, he has written 11books and

9 plays. He is presently a Professor of English and Communication at Naugatuck

Valley Community College in Waterbury, CT. Professor Foster has a BA from the

University of Massachusetts in Amherst, MA, and a Masters degree from Wesleyan

University in Middletown, CT. A long-time comic book collector and researcher,

Professor Foster has been an expert commentator for both CNN News and National

Public Radio. He was a consultant on the historical image of Blacks in both

comic strips and comic books for the Words and Pictures Museum of Fine

Sequential Art in Northampton, MA. He was also a consultant to the 2004 exhibit,

“Heroes, Heartthrobs, and Horrors: Celebrating Connecticut’s Invention of the

American Comic Book” presented by the Connecticut Historical Society. His

exhibit on the “Changing Image of Blacks in Comics” h

as been displayed at a number of venues across the country, including Temple

University’s Paley Library, The 1998 Comic-Con International/Comic Arts

Conference, and the 2000 Festival of Arts and Ideas. He also has presented his

research at the 2001 bi-annual conference of The International Association for

Media and History in Leipzig, Germany and at the 2002 Conference on Analyzing

Series & Serial Narrative at John Moores University in Liverpool, England. He is

the author of “Looking for a Face like Mine” published in 2005 by Fine Tooth

Press.

ARNOLD DRAKE - Bill Finger award winning writer and artist. Arnold Drake's

comics writing career spanned the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. His credits include

Doom Patrol (creator), Deadman (creator), Batman, Superman, Plastic Man, X-Men,

Captain Marvel, Star Trek, Twilight Zone, Mighty Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Bullwinkle

and Rocky, Stanley and His Monster (creator), Little Lulu, Space Ranger, House

of Mystery, and Dark Shadows. His It Rhymes with Lust, with art by Matt Baker

and Ray Osrin, published by St. John Publishing in 1950, was one of the very

first graphic novels. "Like Finger and Siegel, Drake is a consummate

professional writer," says Robinson. "As the author of hundreds of stories from

the Silver Age to the present, his credits demonstrate an amazing versatility,

ranging from the superhero and adventure such as Doom Patrol to the wry humor of

Little Lulu."

CHRISTIAN GOSSETT -RED STAR, designer of the double-bladed light saber for

George Lucas' Phantom Menace. Gossett has worked in comics, video games and

feature films since the age of nineteen. He recently returned from New Zealand,

where he worked as a conceptual designer on King Kong for Richard Taylor's Weta

Workshop, and on set for Peter Jackson.

FOR A COMPLETE LIST OF GUESTS VISIT www.BIGAPPLECON.COM

Advance Tickets are available at Ticketmaster:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/983755/?search_redirect=big%20apple%20comic%20show

The Big Apple Con is located at:

Penn Plaza Pavilion, 401 7th Ave at 33rd St, (201-865-3288 or

www.bigapplecon.com). Acr. from MSG & Penn Station. Subway: A,C,E to Penn

Stat. Sat, 10am-7pm. Sun, 10am-6pm. $10 per day. Children under 8 free.

"What Artists Have to Say about the Big Apple Con"

Yes, when your PR department solicits artists for comments, they are not going to rip your show... wow, what a big shock, especially since you are only helping them through exposure in a large market.

What a laugh.

Anyway -- the bottom line is that I've never said that the show doesn't actually have good artists that I personally am interested in -- but of course -- first timers and long time vets of the show are always amazed because these heavily hyped people basically never have any lines -- so again, why put in guests who DON'T FREAKIN' DRAW ATTENDENCE? When I see Steranko there, a freakin' legend, standing by himself a large portion of the con, that says to me you paid too much to get him there. When you repeatedly bring back big names, it's not special.

The whole problem is, the con is run like Mike's personality, a chicken with his head cut off. And everyone, his friends alike for the most part, clearly indicate the same.

JASMINE MAI - Import Car Model seems like one of the token porn stars for this edition of the Big Apple. Any chance you are going to segregate the porn into an area that parents with kids don't have to walk by?

The high admission fees pretty much ensure parents don't take their tykes anyway,so the adults only section isn't needed.

Wonder whatever happened to NeatStuffs coming on here to offer discount tickets,or even some free ones like wizard offered the board for Philly

The high admission fees pretty much ensure parents don't take their tykes anyway,so the adults only section isn't needed.

I disagree. Let's start now! Instead of debating it here on the boards, I agree we should take our case directly to the organizers.

BTW, what age range do you consider "tykes" to fall into? 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

“I love the show. I always have a great time here. I mean, I don’t know what else to say, its great! The crowds are great. They treat everybody, they treat me great. I think its great, great, great, great, great! I think I overused that word.”

–Bill Sienkowitz

If you're going to quote someone, shouldn't you at least do them the courtesy of spelling their name (Sienkewicz) correctly? confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree, and when you correct someone on their spelling it also helps to get it right. His name is spelled SIENKIEWICZ.

www.billsienkiewicz.com

I don't know who this Dave SIMMS person that you have listed is in the November National thread. You've got it right on the bio part (SIM).

Kevin,

Would you care to give the ods of DS showing up?

'Hook,

Imagine what they would charge if they didn't get the table fees(and freebies) from the dozen or so tables you object to. I can't say I've ever really noticed a problem with this type of material,but will spend a lil more time examining them next show and will give you a more informed opinion.

'Hook,

Imagine what they would charge if they didn't get the table fees(and freebies) from the dozen or so tables you object to. I can't say I've ever really noticed a problem with this type of material,but will spend a lil more time examining them next show and will give you a more informed opinion.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Just don't spend too much time examining them...... 893whatthe.gif

Actually, a report would be interesting. thumbsup2.gif

I would think it wouldn't be all that much of a problem,as kids wouldn't have any idea who or what the people are.As far as dressing sexy,try going to the automobile show.Not sure what skimpy bikini's have to do with car sales,but evidently they do.

"I would think it wouldn't be all that much of a problem,as kids wouldn't have any idea who or what the people are.As far as dressing sexy,try going to the automobile show.Not sure what skimpy bikini's have to do with car sales,but evidently they do."

Perhaps you go to a different show than I do. I don't think it's the actresses in bikinis that's the problem. But the porn section has the porn laid out on the tables, autographed nude pictures of them spread eagled, etc. for everyone to see.

I've said it here before, I like porn as much as the next guy, but I cringe at the thought of someone and their 8 year old kid stumbling into that section of the show. And yes, there are kids at the shows. Not many, but probably 20-25 at peak times on saturday or sunday. They're constantly getting in my way, so I notice them! Last one I went to I was on line behind a kid, maybe 7-9, with his grandmother and mother. When I wandered into the porn section trying to use it as a short-cut to another section of the show I envisioned that group wandering in there as well.