• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dark areas against cased comic
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I am a new member of CGC and have recently submitted some of my silver age comics for grading. This has ignited my interest in obtaining some of those amazing newer age graded comics. I have been buying 9.8 Graded comics, but finding defects in what I receive after oayong good money. Just received two with dark patches where the cover is on contact with the cover. It looks like a wet area. On the most expensive one this dark area also has rainbow interference patterns on it. I am depressed that a 9.8 looks so bad in the case. Can anyone advise me on what options I have and what is causing the visual defects. See pics attached

15737547235340.jpg.b69ad1626bb4f2375794123c0c71de9d.jpg1168321487_Darkareasundercase.jpg.5311533171141c232a07a8d10269465a.jpg

Dark area under case.jpg

19 hours ago, Colin Nash said:

I am a new member of CGC and have recently submitted some of my silver age comics for grading. This has ignited my interest in obtaining some of those amazing newer age graded comics. I have been buying 9.8 Graded comics, but finding defects in what I receive after oayong good money. Just received two with dark patches where the cover is on contact with the cover. It looks like a wet area. On the most expensive one this dark area also has rainbow interference patterns on it. I am depressed that a 9.8 looks so bad in the case. Can anyone advise me on what options I have and what is causing the visual defects. See pics attached

15737547235340.jpg.b69ad1626bb4f2375794123c0c71de9d.jpg1168321487_Darkareasundercase.jpg.5311533171141c232a07a8d10269465a.jpg

Dark area under case.jpg

there is a huge thread about this and with suggestions on what to do.. its called a newton ring. Its just the plastic on plastic touching lol the inner seal is touching the outer hard plastic shell. some put backing boards in the bottom of the slab to just shift the comic slightly away from the outer hard shell or used air can. its a visual caused by the two plastic touching itself.  

Well its great news that there is a new holder to combat newton rings. My two recent 'expensive' purchases will be sent to CGC for new holders. It's clear that unscrupulous sellers are out there using ebay.com to off-load their 'newton ring' stock on the unsuspecting  public. They fail to declare it in their Item descriptions and make sure they don't show it on their photos. Totally unethical and disgraceful behaviour. I've now lost confidence in ebay purchases having only just started.

Edited by Colin Nash
typing error

21 minutes ago, Colin Nash said:

Well its great news that there is a new holder to combat newton rings.

lol

21 minutes ago, Colin Nash said:

My two recent 'expensive' purchases will be sent to CGC for new holders. It's clear that unscrupulous sellers are out there using ebay.com to off-load their 'newton ring' stock on the unsuspecting  public. They fail to declare it in their Item descriptions and make sure they don't show it on their photos. Totally unethical and disgraceful behaviour. I've now lost confidence in ebay purchases having only just started.

:screwy:

This is entirely on CGC, not sellers. It's only a visual thing that doesn't affect the book.

1 hour ago, Colin Nash said:

Well its great news that there is a new holder to combat newton rings. My two recent 'expensive' purchases will be sent to CGC for new holders. It's clear that unscrupulous sellers are out there using ebay.com to off-load their 'newton ring' stock on the unsuspecting  public. They fail to declare it in their Item descriptions and make sure they don't show it on their photos. Totally unethical and disgraceful behaviour. I've now lost confidence in ebay purchases having only just started.

It is completely and utterly ridiculous to blame sellers for Newton rings. Sellers have absolutely nothing to do with them, and buyers should be taking their complaints to CGC, not taking it out on sellers. What is your eBay id?

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Don't intend to upset anyone, so I'll close this out by first agreeing that the origin of the newtons ring issue is the responsibility of CGC. Selling comics that have it, is not. My point is that sellers are obliged to fully describe the item they are selling, whether it be a scuffed or scratched holder or newtons rings. The buyer can then decide whether to buy, or not.