• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my old GL #16 now a 9.4 on heritage

31 posts in this topic

i guess it either has or will happen to each of us over time and i just got my turn .

my CGC graded 9.2 ow/w copy of Green Lantern #16 has turned up on the Heritage Signature auction as a 9.4 ow/w copy.

here's my copy in it's old slab. it sold for $1000 in Dec 2004 on the Pedigree site.

1124558409002_GL_s_002.jpg

here's the new, improved version up on Heritage right now at 9.4 with a reserve (including buyer's premium) of $1750;

1125486098734_GL_s_005.jpg

i checked the scans for a match and hit upon 6 unique characteristics, that paired up identically. interestingly enough, the book appeared on Pedigree after i sold it initially with the grade upgrade, but was pulled off after a few weeks or so. my GL #11 is still up for sale on Pedigree at the same grade that i sold it at. i guess you win some and lose some..................

that reserve is nearly double what another 9.4 sold for ($920) just 6 months ago.

and people say that my asking prices are high................. grin.gif

Are you implying that it was pressed or just resubmitted and recieved a higher grade?

there's no way for me to tell from the scans. the book (as you can see from my big scan) was quite nice to begin with and i don't recall any dents, dings, or creases that might have been candidates for removal.

I guess i'm just lamenting the fact that one of my babies could wind up with a better grade than when i sold it, for whatever reason, be it pressing or inconsistent grading.........i mean it's bound to happen when you sell valuable books, but the first time hurts........... frown.gif

by no means do i expect this to be the last, either.............

Burnt do you recall the graders notes when you submitted it? What were the 3 various grades?

never bothered to check on the notes, but realized that's a logical course of action to see if they wrote down any comments on defects that pressing could cure OR if they had split their initial votes (9.2 - 9.4 - 9.2 - which might suggest a good resub candidate).

i'm just venting a bit here. it is what it is, and i got a damn good price for the book the first time around, so i can't complain too loud. besides, i don't think it has much of a chance reaching reserve as a 9.4 already sold this year for so much less............. sumo.gif

Kinda like when your car gets that first scratch. Ya know it is gonna happen,but when it finally does you still feel bummed. Same with your Sid's books, ya knew resub's were bound to pop up, and they certainly did.

flowerred.gif

Question... Do you feel many of your HG books were graded lower then you had hoped due to those pesky hard to see indents, and or minor impressions on the cover?

And if so, do you think your GL #16 book could have simply just had a few of those type of flaws pressed out to recieve the .2 bump?

Or do you just think it was luck of the draw.. same book, different day?

Ze-

Kinda like when your car gets that first scratch. Ya know it is gonna happen,but when it finally does you still feel bummed. Same with your Sid's books, ya knew resub's were bound to pop up, and they certainly did.

flowerred.gif

Question... Do you feel many of your HG books were graded lower then you had hoped due to those pesky hard to see indents, and or minor impressions on the cover?

And if so, do you think your GL #16 book could have simply just had a few of those type of flaws pressed out to recieve the .2 bump?

Or do you just think it was luck of the draw.. same book, different day?

Ze-

i don't recall anything wrong with the book other than about 3 small spine stresses, a small color fleck on the ULC and a very small mark/stain/discoloration on the URCarea just under the 12cent box. i personally thought that those 5 defects were about right for the 9.2 (and perhaps too high if there were other dent/crease/wrinkle issues) and seem a wee bit too much for a 9.4, but there ya go............

Can I say that that's a lovely 9.2, without a shadow of a doubt, but with those instantly recognisable, and very apparent spine stresses, it could never, ever, ever, ever, friggin' ever be a 9.4. sumo.gif

Unless it was submitted by the right person.

So, who bought it? confused-smiley-013.gif

way too many glaring stresses and other wear on the spine (and a little bit on the corners) to justify a 9.4 based on what I see in that scan. 9.2 was about right. could have just as easily been a 9.0 or 8.5, think of it that way!

and yeah, i know someone will say it's a 9.4 because it says "9.4" on it, but it also once said 9.2 on it!

way too many glaring stresses and other wear on the spine (and a little bit on the corners) to justify a 9.4 based on what I see in that scan. 9.2 was about right. could have just as easily been a 9.0 or 8.5, think of it that way!

and yeah, i know someone will say it's a 9.4 because it says "9.4" on it, but it also once said 9.2 on it!

Yeah, wait for the standard speech about 'human frailties' and 'borderline 9.2/9.4'.

It's amazing what sh1te you'll come out with when you're sitting on 100K+ of slabbed 9.4s/9.6s and worried about their validity...

For those who might consider it, let's lay it on the line...

A true NM cannot have visible stress marks like this!

I hereby declare that CGC's grading is now no better than any Joe Shmo dealer, and is just as questionable as to its integrity.

Yeah, wait for the standard speech about 'human frailties' and 'borderline 9.2/9.4'.

It's amazing what sh1te you'll come out with when you're sitting on 100K+ of slabbed 9.4s/9.6s and worried about their validity...

For those who might consider it, let's lay it on the line...

A true NM cannot have visible stress marks like this!

I hereby declare that CGC's grading is now no better than any Joe Shmo dealer, and is just as questionable as to its integrity.

893whatthe.gif So what're you going to do about it?

Burnt do you recall the graders notes when you submitted it? What were the 3 various grades?

never bothered to check on the notes, but realized that's a logical course of action to see if they wrote down any comments on defects that pressing could cure OR if they had split their initial votes (9.2 - 9.4 - 9.2 - which might suggest a good resub candidate).

i'm just venting a bit here. it is what it is, and i got a damn good price for the book the first time around, so i can't complain too loud. besides, i don't think it has much of a chance reaching reserve as a 9.4 already sold this year for so much less............. sumo.gif

Considering your cost on this book I'd say you did "okay". tongue.gif

(1) Make sure that I keep this up and refuse to STFU, in the hope that a continual campaign can get people to smell the coffee.

(2) Make sure that I ain't holding much of anything when the charade is rumbled.

Andy, are you honestly going to tell me that, in your heart of hearts, you don't actually believe that what was happening 10 years ago is going on again today, the only difference being that we've been sold this thin veneer of respectability and integrity?

It's like the Mafia going into property and construction. Different product, same shysters.

Keep the book for 30+ years and make a grand...someone else resubs and they make $500+ in six months... Christo_pull_hair.gif

Yeah, that's the real burn here, ain't it? I think all of us here are really in awe of the "Sid's" collection, how they were preserved so well, and so forth. I think we all just wish that the original owner could get every well-deserved penny possible for these...but I guess it just doesn't work that way in this day and age.