• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my old GL #16 now a 9.4 on heritage

31 posts in this topic

893whatthe.gif So what're you going to do about it?

Andy, are you honestly going to tell me that, in your heart of hearts, you don't actually believe that what was happening 10 years ago is going on again today, the only difference being that we've been sold this thin veneer of respectability and integrity?

It's like the Mafia going into property and construction. Different product, same shysters.

I am obviously aware of that, Nick, for I merely jested and feigned naivete for humourous purposes. tongue.gif

The only difference is scale.........

Not trying to sound like I wouldn't want Harry to get all the money he can for the book but:

The person who paid $1K for it when it was a 9.2, clearly overpaid at the time since a 9.4 sold for less after Harry's sale.

Plus, the $1,750 might or might not be reached.

As much as like CGC, I realize that their grading can be sometimes inconsistent. Once everyone comes to terms with that, you realize that sometimes that can work in your favor and sometimes against. Even if you never resubmit a book, but just buy them already CGC'd, you probably have a few books in your collection that look to be overgraded and a few that look to be undergraded.

This was not directed at any one person, just generalizations.

Well, besides the facts that:

it sucks that Harry's book may have possibly deserved a better grade from the beginning, and

it sucks that grading inconsistencies occur which entail large swings in marketplace value,

the GL16 is still another of the mounting examples of books winding up in Heritage auctions with labeled grades higher than the original. Was the book worked on? Not sure. Did Heritage reap a "preferred submitters" benefit on the book? Not sure. Did CGC goof when regrading the book? Not sure.

And its the uncertainties that really suck. sign-rantpost.gif

And its the uncertainties that really suck.

I hear ya.

But you and I spend big dollars on books, which basically means we both play the game. We might not like it, but we can't stop playing it.

The only way to play the game better is to simply buy books in the grade you want. Then when you get the book, inspect it (thru the plastic of course) and if you think the book is overgraded, just sell it, and look for a better (more accurately graded) comic. While it might cost you some extra dollars, at least you won't have a bunch of books in your collection that you constantly look at and say "HOW THE F*** DID THAT GET A 9.0, WITH ALL THOSE DEFECTS".

Once again, one of the reasons I like to buy from Heritage (large scans).

Well, besides the facts that:

it sucks that Harry's book may have possibly deserved a better grade from the beginning, and

it sucks that grading inconsistencies occur which entail large swings in marketplace value,

the GL16 is still another of the mounting examples of books winding up in Heritage auctions with labeled grades higher than the original. Was the book worked on? Not sure. Did Heritage reap a "preferred submitters" benefit on the book? Not sure. Did CGC goof when regrading the book? Not sure.

And its the uncertainties that really suck. sign-rantpost.gif

Best sum-up thus far, man. thumbsup2.gif

Keep the book for 30+ years and make a grand...someone else resubs and they make $500+ in six months... Christo_pull_hair.gif

an interesting way of looking at it........... 893whatthe.gif

again, i'm not bitter as this is the game that we all must contend with to some degree or another. it just feels funny when it first happens to you.............. blush.gif

Harry, that`s a bummer, I know how you feel as my 9.2 JLA 7 was resubbed into a 9.4 after I sold it, which bummed me out even more because I had debated whether to resub it because I thought it was undergraded.

I would say your book was right between a 9.2 and 9.4, although probably a bit closer to the 9.2 than 9.4 because of those stress marks on the spine. The rest of the book is so immaculate, though, and having now seen some of your books in person, I know how fresh they look.

Now that it`s known that this 9.4 is a resubbed 9.2, it will be interesting to see if there is any impact on the price at Heritage. The reserve is so high, though, that I can`t see it selling anyways. If it did, I`d be a happy camper.

Harry, that`s a bummer, I know how you feel as my 9.2 JLA 7 was resubbed into a 9.4 after I sold it, which bummed me out even more because I had debated whether to resub it because I thought it was undergraded.

I would say your book was right between a 9.2 and 9.4, although probably a bit closer to the 9.2 than 9.4 because of those stress marks on the spine. The rest of the book is so immaculate, though, and having now seen some of your books in person, I know how fresh they look.

Now that it`s known that this 9.4 is a resubbed 9.2, it will be interesting to see if there is any impact on the price at Heritage. The reserve is so high, though, that I can`t see it selling anyways. If it did, I`d be a happy camper.

Tim; the other defect besides the spine stresses that stands out is that "dot" just below the 12cent box. i've checked other issues and it's not there, so it's some kind of mini -stain. otherwise the book was kick-azz...............(just not a 9.4 IMO.)

a one grade change in either direction upon resubmission seems perfectly legit to me (based on a straight resub) and i'm guessing that my # 13 might have been resubbed with no change in grade. if a buyer wants to take the chance and spend the dough, that's up to them.

once again, i'm not bitter - it just feels a little weird...............and i'm guessing that with all the recent sales, i'll see it again before long............ frown.gif

i guess it either has or will happen to each of us over time and i just got my turn .

my CGC graded 9.2 ow/w copy of Green Lantern #16 has turned up on the Heritage Signature auction as a 9.4 ow/w copy.

here's my copy in it's old slab. it sold for $1000 in Dec 2004 on the Pedigree site.

1124558409002_GL_s_002.jpg

here's the new, improved version up on Heritage right now at 9.4 with a reserve (including buyer's premium) of $1750;

1125486098734_GL_s_005.jpg

i checked the scans for a match and hit upon 6 unique characteristics, that paired up identically. interestingly enough, the book appeared on Pedigree after i sold it initially with the grade upgrade, but was pulled off after a few weeks or so. my GL #11 is still up for sale on Pedigree at the same grade that i sold it at. i guess you win some and lose some..................

that reserve is nearly double what another 9.4 sold for ($920) just 6 months ago.

and people say that my asking prices are high................. grin.gif

everyone knows heritage and comic link get special treatment when it comes to graded comic books, this is just another example (of many). just more money for cgc, and in this case heritage... the real loser is the buyer...

everyone knows heritage and comic link get special treatment when it comes to graded comic books, this is just another example (of many). just more money for cgc, and in this case heritage... the real loser is the buyer...

This statement is a bunch of B.S. and based on nothing but conjecture and hot air. Considering that Heritage is a CONSIGNMENT site there isn't even any evidence that Heritage bought and resubbed the book as opposed to a private buyer who resubbed and consigned it to Heritage. But of course conspiracy theories are much better than facts so carry on...

This statement is a bunch of B.S. and based on nothing but conjecture and hot air. Considering that Heritage is a CONSIGNMENT site there isn't even any evidence that Heritage bought and resubbed the book as opposed to a private buyer who resubbed and consigned it to Heritage. But of course conspiracy theories are much better than facts so carry on...

Exactly right. I know of a consignor where Heritage resubbed more than 10 of his books on his behalf, and only ONE came back with a higher grade. If Bluenote thinks a 10% hit rate is an indication of collusion or special treatment, I'd like some of what he's smoking.