• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's JOKER: THE SEQUEL directed by Todd Phillips (TBD)
5 5

373 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2024 at 5:57 PM, Bosco685 said:

Didn't we do this dance with the first Joker movie where you both predicted it would bomb, and nobody wanted it? Now your back to rejoicing so you can regain ground on a poor assumption to begin with?

?

Critical reviews are totally different than box office.

And 54% positive on Rotten Tomatoes isn't exactly a glowing early report card.

But also - I ultimately did (years later) see the first one - and hated it for all the reasons I thought I would - that it was a betrayal of the character.

If what I've read about the ending of this film is correct, I was 100% right.

On 10/2/2024 at 6:06 PM, Gatsby77 said:

?

Critical reviews are totally different than box office.

And 54% positive on Rotten Tomatoes isn't exactly a glowing early report card.

But also - I ultimately did (years later) see the first one - and hated it for all the reasons I thought I would - that it was a betrayal of the character.

If what I've read about the ending of this film is correct, I was 100% right.

?

a group of men are standing next to each other holding red cups .

It is going to be difficult to talk about this without spoiling the movie.

I understand the narrative reasoning for why everything happened after the main Joker courtroom scene but I still hated it. I will go out on a limb and say that if you liked the first movie you may have a more difficult time liking this one. I stated earlier in the thread this movie wouldn't have the same word of mouth recommendations as the first one, I will go further and say that you'll likely be told not to watch it in theaters and just wait for streaming instead (unlike the first one).

I really hated the ending and thought it was some avaunt-garde level of BS by someone trying to be pretentious with messaging/meaning. It really strikes my as a first year philosophy student tying to explain how deep their thought process is now (despite sitting in the kiddie pool) then waving you off with a "but you wouldn't understand".

Why can't hollywood understand that we like our superheroes? We like the characters that they are, that we know. We don't need or want YOUR interpretation. What we want is our characters in perhaps a unique storyline. Or hey, don't even strain yourself and adapt an existing one because oh my are there many. We don't need much. If I got some epic story of the Joker and Harley I know meeting, falling in love and then going on a crime spree the likes of which no one has seen, causing mayhem and destruction that no one could stop with explosions and action and energy, you will make millions dare I say billions.

Give me some melodrama love story twisted BS with musical elements and I am sorry, that is NOT what I enjoy about these characters.

On 10/4/2024 at 9:32 AM, Bosco685 said:

Additionally, Joker legged out huge with nearly 3.5x opening weekend. With these audience scores, 2.5x might be more likely for this one. 

Let's see Joker dance down this staircase

image.png.f569d42794c66e593d5d64a5f4d5dbbb.png

Edited by paperheart

I had written a long, spoiler tagged review but the boards screwed up for a minute and I lost it. Maybe I’ll do another attempt tomorrow. I’ll just say it’s a very strange movie, beautifully made and acted, but it takes paths that make it the weirdest movie adaptation of a comic book character…ever.

And the budget was high. This will be the first feature film with the Joker as a character that will be a box office bomb. The streak is ended.

Batman(1966)

Batman(1989)

The Dark Knight 

Suicide Squad(2016) which is astounding 

Joker (2019)

All box office blockbusters. I think the new movie would have done great if it were taken in a different direction.